Howly Mowley, Couple clicks and I got a new bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
I started playing with my suspension a bit and WOW!! what a difference.

I generally ride reasonably hard in the twisties. I have only had my 06 for about 7-8 months and figured I would just get to know the bike as it is then play some to see what happens.

When I bought the bike I played with the compression dampening (without knowing what it was) and set it as it turns out, to full dampening. Front of the bike rode like a tank and I thought that was just the way it was (since I did now know what I had done)

So, fast forward........ A couple of weeks ago I adjusted the dampening to the middle (I still thought it was the preload, but I was wrong) Anyway the bike was much more comfortable but began to "Pogo" a bit when pressing pretty hard in turns at two up.

Yesterday I finally pulled out the MOM and looked all the stuff up. With the help of some folks here I now understood better what each thing does and adjusted them yet again.

Front end

My Front preload is second from hardest.

My Compression dampening is 15 clicks from softest (just over half way)

My Rebound dampening is 15 clicks from softest (just over half way)

Rear shock is 15 clicks from softest too (just over half way)

Preload at soft for 1 up

This will be my baseline and I will go from here

I am about 275 lbs, Bike has @@ 5400 miles

Bags on

E52 Givi on

This bike is a whole new animal........ Sweet. I canot wait to push it a bit and see how it reacts. BUT now that I understand the adjustments I wan further tune it. The bike feels like it is on rails yet is compliant to road changes

This is fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, even with the stock suspension the settings make a HUGE difference. If anyone hasn't messed with these settings, you're really missing-out on what your bike can really do. I initially set mine where Fred posted his #'s and dialed in from there.

Is there a good post anywhere about how to do this?

Is it hard to adjust your suspension?

Can you just go back to the stock settings if you think you screwed something up????

I am an idiot, and don't know anything about suspension.

I scrape my pegs a lot and wonder if suspension tuning might give me a little more room to work with. I imagine making the rear end stiffer would give me a little more clearance, but like I said, I'm an idiot....

Can you just go back to the stock settings if you think you screwed something up????

I scrape my pegs a lot and wonder if suspension tuning might give me a little more room to work with. I imagine making the rear end stiffer would give me a little more clearance, but like I said, I'm an idiot....
Google up MC suspension set up and you'll get tons of info.

Try here:

Clicky

Suspension(NOT checked for '06, but recommended for '03 - '05)

Front preload: Many like 2 to 2.5 rings showing per Warchild

From SportRider, the complete article and tuning guide Clicky

Front spring compression (lines showing): SR:2, WC:2-2.5, JA:2

Rebound clicks out SR:4 JA:6

Compression clicks out SR:7 JA:8

Rear preload - SR:Hard JA:Hard

Rear Rebound clicks out SR:3 JA:6

(rear compression is not adjustable on stock shock)

SR - Sport Rider recommendation

WC - Warchild info

JA - JeffAshe settings JeffAshe
I started out with the JeffAshe settings and fine tuned from there. I ended up reducing the preload and compression damping a bit up front. I ride with the rear on soft when solo and hard when 2-up and luggage. I believe I ended up with 7 clicks out on the rear rebound.

Everyone's preferences are different, but these will get you in the ballpark. Just rembember that the suspension will break in some as you put the miles on (and get used to how the bike feels). The stock settings are in the owners manual, so don't be afraid to play around. It's best to only make one adjustment at a time.

David

Google up MC suspension set up and you'll get tons of info.
Sweet, now I've got something to do at work!

Here is what I did.

I looked at the Owners manual. It told me how to do it. You need a crescent wrench and a slotted screwdriver. That is all

First, I Looked at the bike and compared the pictures to what I found, pretty easy.

Then it tells about clicks to soft and hard and what way to turn them to do each

So, I turned it to full soft COUNTING the clicks to let me know where I was. I was at 13 on my Rebound dampening and 12 on my compression dampening. I made them both 15 on both sides. I am a pretty heavy guy and the bike needed to settle down a bit.

Then the preload was right below the dampening on the top of the forks. The little nut looking thing "right" below, not the actual nut on top of the fork, look, you will see what I am talking about.

It was at 3 lines showing. I took it to two lines showing (barely showing on ##2) This stiffened it up a tad

The rear is even easier. It clicks too. So, I looked at the book to see what way was more and what way was less. I dialed it all the way to less COUNTING so I could go back if I wanted. It was at 12. I made it 15 as well.

The bike is transformed. Mostly for the better. I think I will take the front back to 3 lines and leave the dampening and see how that is.

Now my bike feels like a finely tuned sports car. Can feel the bumps, but in a way you know your rubber is on the ground.

Cool, this is gonna be fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts