Mission Impossible II - Longer, thicker, harder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Remember this one?

I'm working up a challenging little 1500 in state CA route that I hope to jump off on in a couple of weeks. Google says driving time is 27 hours, but Google doesn't know I'll be heading through deepest darkest bay area on a weekday afternoon and trying to do it in under 24 hours. I'll need luck, mad lane-sharing skilz (w/bags in place), and some serious fortitude to get this one done.
Well, I was right. Yesterday, 570 miles in, I waved off and cut for home, defeated in my first attempt at the following route:

CaBunBurner_image_map.gif

Basically, starting at my place, to Merced, over Sonora Pass, back over Monitor Pass, then through Lodi to Bodega Bay, south to San Ysidro, then to Barstow and ending up at a gas station in a little town called Traver, 1509 miles from home.

I want to give a shout-out :clapping: to Skyway, and huge gratitude for providing me the inspiration to do this ride, based on his SS1K last year, where Bluestreek and I joined him to stop by all 21 missions in California. Approx. 1060 miles and no lallygaggin', completed in 22 hours and 15 minutes.

A couple of good lessons came from the experience:

1. This route is NOT a group ride. I picked up another forum member (LD virgin tagging along for an SS1K) in Merced, and together, we took longer than one would alone, for various reasons. Solo is the ONLY way a rider would have a chance to complete this ride as a BBG. Maybe not even then, but I wanted challenging, and challenging I got. I aborted due to being far enough off pace that I would have to push harder than I wanted to have a chance of success. I wanted no part of going all out, then coming up an hour short at the other end. The good news is that the other rider got his SS1K, and in under 18 hours along pretty much the same route. :yahoo:

2. The best laid plans of mice and men didn't take into effect the freakish weather that was thrown our way. There was wind (in mass quantities), rain, snow, fire, smoke, fog and flying rocks. The wind was the worst for me. What a psychological beat-down that shit was....When it's blowing rocks off the sides of mountains, you know it's windy. My V-Stream windscreen (and Cerulean plastic) is probably in sad shape. I'll know more once I get the bike cleaned up. At our fuel stop in Walker, we both almost had our bikes blown out from under us. Best to keep rolling in those conditions, but running out of gas sucks too!

3. The northern portion of this route (from Merced) would make a great group ride, with a stopover in Bodega Bay, then head north and return along Hwy 36 or some such deal. I'll let the Nor-Cal group get that one figured out....

4. Skyway's hydration kit rocks! I filled my CamelBack and left it in the luggage pod, to refill the reservoir if needed, rather than strapping it on. I wish I'd have bought two! I'd just switch the hose from one side to the other once one went dry. A real relief on the back not carrying that water backpack.

I'm gonna go for it again, in the fall, once the summer traffic and road construction winds down for the season. I think I'll cheat it up a bit by leaving a couple of hours earlier (like 4am) to put me through the Bay Area before rush hour. I hit Oakland yesterday at 4pm and when I bugged out, my GPS display said I was off the pace by 26 minutes. It might have been more like an hour by the time things opened up, and aborting seemed like the best thing to do at the time. I'll be back!

If anybody else wants to give it a shot, PM and I'll email you the MapSource route I worked up. This would make for an interesting rally event! Is it October yet?

Edit to add - This bike is one bad ass LD platform! Almost not fair, especially with some minor modifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
4. Skyway's hydration kit rocks! I filled my CamelBack and left it in the luggage pod, to refill the reservoir if needed, rather than strapping it on. I wish I'd have bought two! I'd just switch the hose from one side to the other once one went dry. A real relief on the back not carrying that water backpack.
Nice write up toecutter. Regarding #4 that is what I did. I bought two for that purpose along with his Aux Tank. Can't wait to use them together.

devanator/Mike

Toe,

I am in awe that you even tried !! Aborting the ride shows that you were thinking - and making the right decisions. In the metro areas this ride goes through averaging the times you need is difficult - regardless of time of day.

Your try wasn't wasted - I'm sure you learned from it. Make the necessary changes, and do it again !

:good: :good: :good:

Toe- I admire the fact that walk the walk regarding safety and thinking all the time. To turn back must have pained you. I understand. Then again, KUDOS for thinking it through, making the right decision, putting things in proper perspective. Sure, you could have pushed waay beyond the bounds of safety and maaaaybe made it.. but you chose to engage the war on a different day. For that I applaud you. :yahoo:

Nice try anyway TC ! :clapping: I had a feeling when we spoke at Yosemite the Bay Area was going to cause heartache! Best to avoid it on an LD run, sometimes I've split for an entire hour or more...that'll mess up your average speed and like you said you'll never recover.. Better luck next time bud !!

Your try wasn't wasted - I'm sure you learned from it. Make the necessary changes, and do it again !
That's exactly why I bailed. I picked up a couple of route shortcuts, as well as pre-running the toughest part of the route. Learned way more than staring at maps the last five weeks could teach me. I'm pretty sure the southern part of the route will be straightforward freeway work, mostly at night, and hopefully, I'll even have some Solteks to help light my way by then!

Plus, being home unexpectedly early and in time for bed went a long way to bolster my perceived sanity status, and gained me political tolerance for the next attempt.

And yeah, I called first, so there would be room for me in the bed, just in case.
wink.gif

There was wind (in mass quantities), rain, snow, fire, smoke, fog and flying rocks.
I just called the gas station in Walker (Coleville) to find out what time they open (6:30am), for the next attempt. The attendant told me that the fire we saw, just cresting a mountain with a huge rock bluff below it, jumped Hwy 395 and burned a structure, before being contained yesterday. The road was shut down and the town evacuated, only minutes after we got through. I wondered how it went as I could still see heavy smoke in that direction from Monitor Pass, but thought it might burn itself out at the bluff, which was about a quarter-mile upwind from the highway. Did I mention it was windy?

Looks like we were just a bit too fast for the dark forces that day! They didn't count on our conviction to the mission!

Or maybe we were just in denial of all the omens that were stacking up against us.

Damn the omens, full speed ahead!

It ain't called Mission Impossible for nothing, at least the way you're planning it. :D

I might suggest removing at least 1 of the mountain passes from your ride. Neither are areas for riding when time is of the essence.

Toe ....hey great stuff and I have to applaud you for even considering that route as a BBG15 route. Your route, your thoughts, your experience bring up some great topics for disccusion IMO

LD rides (ss1K's and up) cannot be judged by the title. For example, come out here to NV with your FJR or equal, get up early with a well thought-out route and you can knock out a SS1K in under 10hours if you don't mind breaking some rules and common sense. (BTW not encouraging anyone to waiver from the IBA's guidelines on safety) Keep it up and you can knock out a BBG without too terribly much effort.

My point beeing that even 1K in under 24hours on your route *might* be tougher than doing a BBG out on some lonely roads. Sure some can debatte this, and I'll be first to say that a BBG is 4times as hard as a SS1K ..but the route has a lot to do with it.

Personally, I am more impressed with shorter miles and tougher routes. Hit 6passes, a bunch of twisties, tight roads, too many fuel stops and a hundred plus miles of dirt while knocking out a SS1K ...you've got my attention and admiration. The route you have here is not far off from this type of challenge -whlle the tight and dirt is replaced with cages and other obstacles.

You mention group rides. Well, at the risk of sounding like a non-team player, personally, I feel that doing LD rides in groups is not ideal. IMO pushing limits should come with riding your own ride. A common destination and start time is one thing, sharing updates on whereabouts is another thing. But, speaking for myslelf, sometimes my pace varies by my mental sharpness and physical strength. Often I will slow when one of both of these is not at peak ...and it can vary during a ride. Also, we all excel in different terrain and conditions ...based on our skillsets and experience as a rider in our own niche. To have to stay at another's pace (slow or fast) is not my ideal ride, and I wouln't want others to feel that they need to stay with my quirks (which includes speeding up on dirt because I love it so :unsure: LOL)

Anyway, couldnt' help but think of these things when reading your post ......no need to feel bad about not completing that route in 24hrs ....that is one tough piece of real estate to cover.

..renojohn

I might suggest removing at least 1 of the mountain passes from your ride. Neither are areas for riding when time is of the essence.
Oddly enough, I was still on pace to finish in time in Lodi, after the two passes, even though we had weather and stop delays. The problem started when I hit Oakland at 4:00pm :unsure:

I'm not gonna believe it can't be done until I prove it to myself.

Ahhh, Grasshopper, it appears you have added much wisdom to your cache of problem solving tools. To have foreseen the dilemma and used that wisdom is an admirable trait. We, your inferiors, salute you.

I think you're right, Bob, that adjusting the start time to miss Bay Area traffic might be a solution. Still, Hwy 4? That is not a time-saving stretch of road. Maybe over 120 and back over 108, but even 108 has its bas section on the Eastern slope and the first 20 miles over the top.

I think you're right, Bob, that adjusting the start time to miss Bay Area traffic might be a solution. Still, Hwy 4? That is not a time-saving stretch of road. Maybe over 120 and back over 108, but even 108 has its bas section on the Eastern slope and the first 20 miles over the top.
Nope. Over 108 and back on 88. Monitor Pass isn't gonna slow me down anymore, now that ExSkiBum has shown me the way over it, in both directions.

I have the updated route written in MapSource. complete with fuel exits (where needed) for anybody interested. PM with an email addy and I'll send it.

The rally/race thing is showing signs of coming to life. Just need a couple mo' playa's.

Update- 9/21/07 Got the playa's, we go Oct. 4th