Tire size...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Did several searches for tire size and came up empty.

It's a toss up between the Avon Storms and the Conti Road Attacks. Nevertheless, I'm curious if anyone has fitted 190's on the rear and what your impressions are when compared to 180's?

BTW, I weigh a buck fifty soaking wet and would consider myself an aggressive rider in the hills. Being new (500 miles new) on the FJR, I've discovered it's VERY easy to scrape peg feelers around corners on the ME Z4's. The extra width of a 190 should provide more surface contact than a 180.

What da ya'll think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.....I find lots of mentions very easily when I search on 180 190 site:fjrforum.com at Google.com including these hits. I suggest looking at this alternative search method for short 3 letter words.

I'm one of those that think it's dumb to change tire size on purpose.

Engineers picked a 180 sized tire when designing the FJR and tuned the suspension around them.

Do you think you are smarter than the engineers?

How would changing to a 190 reduce scraping pegs?

My suggestion? Get a better tire than the Metz ME-Z4s, upgrade your suspension, lean off the bike more, or save the squidly stuff for a more appropriate bike.

Long and short of it, even if it physically fits on the bike while up on the center stand, you may still rub on something when leaned over. You're also going to make the bike feel heavier when throwing it around in corners with a wider tire. Oh, and the rim is technically to small for the tire.

Let's see if I can answer your responses succinctly.

Ignacio:

I tried searching for: Tire Size, 190; Tire; Rear Tire; etc. etc. using the FJR forums search. I figured it would have been a no brainer. Apparantly for me it is a brainer :) or a the very least...a brain fart.

SkooterG:

~Triumph engineers in their wisdom placed a 5.5" (inside bead to inside bead) rim on the 2nd Gen. Sprints but only mounted 180's on them. Those are the same rims that came off the Daytona's...which have 190's on them. Many Sprint owners discovered that 190's performed better than 180's. Do I think I'm smarter than the engineers? What does it mean to be smart? If your'e assuming that your IQ level is an indicator of intelligence, I am a special ed and Alternative Ed high school teacher for the inner city. Put a genius in the environment that my kids survive in and they would not last...because they are not smart enough. IQ tests are based on exposure not innate intelligence. Engineers make decisions not only on what is best, but what they are told. 180's work well, generally they are less expensive than 190's Maybe it responded more like a touring bike with 180's. Maybe they couldn't get the contract for 190's, maybe it just won't fit? Who knows. The point of this thread was to see if anybody has any experience with 190's on the Feeger.

~I did not say that 190's would reduce peg scraping. I only made that statement in connection to the sentence it was attached to...namely that I consider myself a fairly aggressive rider in the twisties.

~In regards to getting better tires, well, I believe that is the reason for this thread ;-)

~About leaning off the seat...I was.

~Should more aggressive riding be left to a more appropriate bike...Perhaps. I really don't plan on riding that aggressively...very often. However, I am still learning the bike and like to know how it handles in a more controlled environment, as opposed to having to learn during an emergency. Besides, I was still being cautious as it is a new bike to me.

~Better suspension is on my todo list.

Vectervp1:

~Will it make the bike feel heavier...perhaps. But my experience has shown that a lot of this depends on the rider. Most Triumph Sprint riders would argue your point. The argument follows as such: With a 190, the tire becomes taller and more pointed in the center and as such does not increase tread width while riding straight, but does increase turn in; however, once leaned, the 190 profile increases the traction width, thus increasing traction. In short, it does not make the bike feel heavier.

~In regards to the rim being too small...well, it too is a 5.5" (inside bead to inside bead) rim, which means a 190 would fit quite nicely.

Seeing that nobody has any experience with supplying a 190 on the Feegers, I will succumb to the mold and remain on 180's, which really isn't a problem. I just wanted to see if anybody has tried it and what they thought of it.

Thank you for your insights.

Seeing that nobody has any experience with supplying a 190 on the Feegers, I will succumb to the mold and remain on 180's, which really isn't a problem. I just wanted to see if anybody has tried it and what they thought of it.
Fuck it.

Break out of the mold and give it a try, and report back to us. Nothing ventured....

Engineers smart??

Ha?

Have you met Rickster? :lol:

Hey your right. I'm just going off of what I have felt on liter sport bikes that come with a 190 series tire.

If your set on doing it, then do it. Someone on the old board made some sort of spacer for his rear brake and stuffed a 200 series tire on his FJR.... why not go for broke.

Hey your right. I'm just going off of what I have felt on liter sport bikes that come with a 190 series tire.
If your set on doing it, then do it. Someone on the old board made some sort of spacer for his rear brake and stuffed a 200 series tire on his FJR.... why not go for broke.
This thread was not about being right or wrong (being married 15+ years I'm use to being wrong :glare: ); nevertheless, the point of this thread was to find out if a 190 will fit; as well, rider's impressions of the changes noted in doing so.

No harm done.

Hey,

I would like to know also!!!! My son just came over on his new k zx14 ninja with a 190 on the rear and I was wondering, what about me??? It looks awsome and I believe provides more stability on turns as I could hardly keep up following him.

This thread was not about being right or wrong (being married 15+ years I'm use to being wrong :glare: ); nevertheless, the point of this thread was to find out if a 190 will fit; as well, rider's impressions of the changes noted in doing so.

No harm done.

Actually the 190 (given the same aspect ratio) will give you a taller tire and increase the ride height. As the aspect ratio is a percentage of tire width.

I imagine there was quite a bit of Engineering went into the suspension system also, So does that mean we should only use stock suspension?????

Its true that the 190 tire will be taller on a rim designed for a 180 tire but the shape will not be correct. in my opinion it is not a good idea unless you know what youare doing.

PS Sport, are you a bit on the chunky side? Perhaps your bike rides low cause your heaver (?? no offense), stiffening your suspension of upgrading should solve the problem. i weigh 160 and I never have scraped the pegs and i basically ride my tread to the edge.

Its true that the 190 tire will be taller on a rim designed for a 180 tire but the shape will not be correct. in my opinion it is not a good idea unless you know what youare doing.PS Sport, are you a bit on the chunky side? Perhaps your bike rides low cause your heaver (?? no offense), stiffening your suspension of upgrading should solve the problem. i weigh 160 and I never have scraped the pegs and i basically ride my tread to the edge.
Chunky? Use to be people were just fat, now they're chunky. Could make some feel...well, fat.

Height is not a problem. I am 150lbs soaking wet with a 32" inseem. Bike height is perfect!

I'm lookin at the 190's for the additional tread on the pavement while leaned over. A taller tire usually means a more triangular shaped (albiet exagurated) tire, which provides more rubber contact to pavement during leans. I've seen this on many sport bikes including the Sprints which come stock with 180's.

My concern is the space between the swing arm and the tire. I'll look into it this fall as will be time for some new shoes.

Sport, I've been looking at the same thing. Here's some facts for you on the attached link from Bridestones 021 website.

https://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/glamou...&LookupID=8

1. both the 180 and 190 are designed for the same rim 5.5 to 6.0, 190 prefers the 6.0 but will work on a 5.5

2. both have the same load rating

3. the 190 is actually .1 smaller in OD as it runs a 50 profile

4. the 190 is .2 wider

5. the 190 has a deeper tread by 3/32 inch

Note the ZX14 has a 6.0 inch rim. Also, I'm not sure how much the 5.5 rim will affect the profile, it's within spec but at the low end but it should work.

Sorry, I have not researched other tire companies just Bridgestone

john

Sorry, but this is one case where bigger isn't better! If you are interested in "turning-in" capabilities, smaller on the rear is better. I'd highly recommend 170 X 60 as a tire that'll do twisties much better than stock! If you're interested in going for mileage, then maybe going bigger is better, I wouldn't know!

Jim