Wimpy Kickstand?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikenut

Reaction score
Is there a problem with the FJR kickstand being a little too eager to fold back? I have talked to one dealer who said (and I quote), "I've sold more left side parts because of that winpy sidestand."

I am VERY nervous about mine (2005) and always park faced a bit uphill and put my foot behind it as I dismount the bike to make sure it doesn't move.

Is there an aftermarket sidestand that 'locks' into place, kinds of like how a Harley Wide Glide sidestand has to be pushed down out of a notch to fold back (my friend showed me how he can DRAG his Harley around the garage and the sidestand stays in place.)

I would appreciate knowing other's experience or thoughts on this.

Bikenut

It's not 'wimpy' so much that it just doesn't angle forward a great deal, thus it can be prone to folding back unless you are careful to ensure it is extended fully. Sounds like you are already aware of the problem, since you mention putting your foot behind the stand when dismounting. I have heard that other owners grind away a small portion of the 'stop' peg to allow some additional forward angle. I have not seen any aftermarket kickstands available, but then again I haven't searched; I don't try to drag by bike around the garage on it. I prefer to roll mine around! ;)

Is there a problem with the FJR kickstand being a little too eager to fold back? I have talked to one dealer who said (and I quote), "I've sold more left side parts because of that winpy sidestand."
Never had a problem. As with all bikes, don't park facing down hill, leave it in gear, let it move forward/backward until the transmission is holding it, put down the kick stand, and make sure it's all the way down and in place.

No better or worse than any other bike I've owned. Perhaps ex-cruiser riders are used to that hugh jass rudder of a kick stand or something?

The other "fix" is to take a file to the kickstand stop. Just a little material removed allows the kickstand to rotate a few degrees farther forward. Voila!

Not near as unstable as my ole Duck, and the reason Hardleys have such a massive kickstand is they are designed to spend LOTS of time on them, :lol: , besides we have a centerstand !!! Be careful and good luck !

Bobby

Thanks for the feedback. I took off the sidestand today and took a bit off with a grinder. It does come forward a wee bit more, but also has a little more "play." I probably need to get the edge a bit flatter.

Since I have exactly one year and two days and 10,700 miles with the bike, I'll just continue to be careful. What a great bike!!

Thanks for this site; I've learned some good tips over the year.

I've learned some good tips over the year
And I've learned a good tipover just recently. I hope I don't do that again!

But yeah, put it in gear and get one of those steel outlet box covers (or two for the centerstand) to keep in your fairing pocket in case of unstable ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. My daughter took the MSF course this summer and she noticed that I habitually leave my bike in neutral when parking. She told me that they taught her to put it in gear. It never sunk in beore I read this thread why it was a good idea. Guess I'll have to try to change my habit.

She also was taught to switch off the kill switch when parking. That always 'gets' me when I try to start a bike after she has ridden it because I only use the kill switch in an emergency.

She also was taught to switch off the kill switch when parking. That always 'gets' me when I try to start a bike after she has ridden it because I only use the kill switch in an emergency.

Short Hijack:

Everytime I used the kill switch was an opportunity to forget to turn off the key :bigeyes: ; leaving the headlights on (TWO H-4's). And being single, with no woman to correct my every mistake :p , that was quite often. Now I only use the kill switch in an emergency. :cownoy:

My bike has experienced a tip-over and an unnecessary expense for fairing and bag repair is something that I do not want to happen again. Now I always put it on the center stand even if I just stop to get gas. At first, putting it on the center stand was a bit difficult but now I don't even lift up on the bike...my weight of 180 is sufficient to 'center stand' it w/o any problem.

Craig,

You might want to use the kill switch once in awhile to verify that it is working. They were pushing that when I took the MSF 20 some years ago. The idea was that using it verifies that it is working. Finding this out when you need it is bad!!

gypsy

Last edited by a moderator:
Having dropped the bike sitting still in a parking lot, I have changed the way I stop and get off the bike. First I leave it in gear, secondly I use the side stand switch to kill the engine and lastly I LOOK at the side stand as I remove the boot. This last item was the reason I dumped it. As I removed my boot, the knob on the side stand "stuck" in the bottom of the boot and allowed the stand to fold. Talk about feeling like a dummy! The last thing you might do is to bump the side stand forward with the side of the boot, just to make sure it's all the way deployed.

Jim

With all the talk regarding using the centerstand, remember, a heavy bike like our FJR, all that weight now being on the two centerstand feet will sink into blacktop just as good or even better than using the sidestand, it will stop sinking on the left side at where the sideways peg comes out and continue to sink on the right leg and finally tip over on its right side.

So..... whenever _I_ park on new-soft-hot blacktop, I'd rather use the sidestand with a piece of stainless steel that I carry in my tankbag, with a attached string that I attach to the left handlebar,(then I'm ready to leave, I just sit on the bike, and using the attached string pull up the plate , wrap the string around it and put back into my tankbag)

then risk trusting the centerstand and chance it tipping over ....

Oh believe me, I know a lot of people who learned this info, the tough way!!!

ZZZZZ

Last edited:
"I've sold more left side parts because of that winpy sidestand."
A quote worthy of any Japanese bike dealer. I've never seen a Jap bike with a decent side stand. Funny how they can never figure that one out when it's so simple. Must be that they like selling all those left side parts. Hmmmmm........

I don't have a problem with the sidestand, in fact in my opinion it is a good sidestand. There are three easy options when you park: with the sidestand deployed, park on an uphill, park up against a wall or parking stop or when parking out in the open, leave the bike in gear. I also carry a small 2"x 2" steel plate to put under the kickstand when parking on asphalt. (I got a whole bunch of the steel plates when I replaced my patio door vertical blinds; they are the weights in the bottom of some manufacturers shades.)

One thing to remember when placing on side stand (always when in gear): before placing on the side stand, release the brake so it will move the approx 1 inch that it does when on an incline, in this way it's "locked" from moving at all when you put the weight of the bike on the side stand. Especially important if the incline is a slight downhill to the front :eek:

Anyone ever modify the kickstand in such a way that it allows the bike to lean over more? I've lowered my bike and now it doesn't lean over enough IMO.