NAFO and IBR on alternate years

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
In the NAFO announcement thread there was a suggestion to hold events on alternating years. The idea has some merit and I think it deserves it's own thread, so I'm starting one for that discussion.

I like the idea of having NAFO on even-numbered (no Iron Butt Rally) years, and all the regional gatherings on the odd-numbered ones. That way, people aren't stretched too thin trying to organize/get to two summertime events, or having to decide between one or the other. [HINT] We're not all on an unlimited budget here....[/HINT]
It would also pump up the NAFO attendance, being the only game in town, so to speak. If we want 500 or more bikes, IMHO, that would be the way to do it. As I recall, WFO-6 was only about ten bikes bigger than WFO-5, even though hundreds more FJR's were sold out West in the interim.

DISCLAIMER- Of course, there's nothing to stop anybody from calling and arranging any gathering anytime or anywhere they want. I'm just saying....Each regional group will have to decide for themselves if they want to alternate with the NAFO or IBR or whatever.
For me the NAFO and regional EOM are two very different events and I'd miss EOM if it were not held annually. I plan to attend both next year if both are held.

So, I think the issue should be whether or not it is desirable or necessary to alternate NAFO with the IBR and let the regional groups decide among themselves if they want to alternate.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is truly a National event, works for me. Time and money are limited for me, events are scheduled accordingly. As a National though, and all that implies, it should be a week long event, rather than a long weekend.

If it is truly a National event, works for me. Time and money are limited for me, events are scheduled accordingly. As a National though, and all that implies, it should be a week long event, rather than a long weekend.
I don't think that the liver could take it for a full week. :rolleyes:

How about this: Let's get through NAFO 1 and see how that goes. We are working with the other regional meet principals on this and many other issues, so stay tuned for more info. The detail of execution may, in fact, dictate the frequency of the event.

The very first thing that has to be accomplished is to secure a venue for NAFO 1. Friends, let me tell you that this is no small task and one that I would ask everyone to respect and let us complete before we move on to other issues.

Further, there is no reason why the regional meets cannot be held in yearly concurrence with NAFO. As example, there is talk of holding a smaller and likely shorter, more West Coast oriented WFO-7, in the fall of '08 - if only not to break a tradition. Whether your individual wherewithal to do both or only one per year might be more an issue of personal planning rather than making the meets fit your own needs.

Finally, and with absolutely no disrespect to the IBA, IBR or it's involved members, NAFO is not related to IBA events. As such, and given the relatively small number of NAFO attendees that actually participate in the IBR, I personally feel that there is no connection between the two events. Simply, there is some cross-over interest and nothing more. I doubt Kneebone gave WFO-6 more than a burp of thought when planning this year's IBR, so let's not confuse or co-mingle the two events.

Someone mention 80/20 yet? <_<

Finally, and with absolutely no disrespect to the IBA, IBR or it's involved members, NAFO is not related to IBA events. As such, and given the relatively small number of NAFO attendees that actually participate in the IBR, I personally feel that there is no connection between the two events.
gunny!!!

we are all equal members of the fjr community...

if some compete in iba/ibr events, others will rise to the NAFO occasion and their skills and talents will be recognized...

it's like sharks teeth, one falls out, another replaces it...

now, about finding that first NAFO venue....

dana

I would like to echo my sentiments on this. I really do feel a national event should be bigger and longer than the regional ones. I'd love to see it start on a Saturday and end on Friday. Maybe that long of an event is down the road for us and something we need to grow into. But NAFO definately needs to be longer than Thu-Sat. Maybe a Wed. - Sunday??

For me the NAFO and regional EOM are two very different events and I'd miss EOM if it were not held annually. I plan to attend both next year if both are held.
Limited vacation time & the MotoGP race at Indy in mid-September 08 & beyond will have more effect on me making another EOM after this year than NAFO.

I'm trying to pull off Family vacation in May, Denver in July, & Indy MotoGP in September, looks like perfect spacing to me!

I would like to echo my sentiments on this. I really do feel a national event should be bigger and longer than the regional ones. I'd love to see it start on a Saturday and end on Friday. Maybe that long of an event is down the road for us and something we need to grow into. But NAFO definately needs to be longer than Thu-Sat. Maybe a Wed. - Sunday??
Add me to the 'make it longer' contingent. WFO was great this year, but I only got to know a few people and barely had time to say hi to others that I wanted to meet. I don't even know most of the people I was riding with except for the color of their gear.

My .02

Lets get through NAFO 1 first.

A Wed- Sun Schedule would be good but I don't think longer would be better as you should prob add 2 days of travel for most folks just to get there and 2 days home. so THAT would be 8 days from work right there.

ANDDDDD

WHY NOT PUSH IT A WEEK OR TWO (or three) BEFORE THE MOTO GP? late June/early July. You know the later in the year the HOTTER it gets (100 as I type this at 6 pm) That also would not coincide with WFO OR IBA.

If it is to be a NAFO. That would mean a centralized location. I know its up to the organizer to set local, and I dont think there are enough good roads in the Great State of Bama to host an event so I am out as an organizer (not a helper if requested). I'm just sayin...

Thats my humble O-pin-yun. Put some money with it and it'll get you some coffee. ;)

A couple of points...

Want NAFO t be longer? Show up early! I did at WFO and there was a bunch of people there already. If NAFO turns in a monster event we can make it longer then.

NAFO conflict with the IBR?? I don't think so. If you run it on non IBR years you'll have the Butt-Lite and GZ's Spank to contended with. There will always be something.

That said I do like the idea of having all the regional events on say even years and then NAFO on odd years. I would do a couple of regional events one year then do NAFO the next. Doing the odd even year thing would only be necessary if the attendance at NAFO was less than "we" wanted. We being the powers that be influenced by the masses.

Bottom line, get through NAFO 1 first.

Want NAFO t be longer? Show up early! I did at WFO and there was a bunch of people there already.
absolutely true. sure could do that. although it would be nice to have that room discount for those extra nights. maybe we don't need more banquets and stuff but giving us another day or 2 with the price break on the room would be cool.

just a thought.

a longer event might dilute its impact. you run the risk of a week of middling attendance as people trickle in and out (based on their desire/ability). with a shorter event you have everyone concentrated together during the entuire event with all the associated interaction. attending sponsors/vendors are also less likely to be there for the whole event the longer it gets.

Or you could have a Wednesday and Thursday focused on riding events, and not banquets... that could allow folks to do GZs rides and still make the meals, and maybe some longer non SS or BBG rides that they might hesitate to do for missing dinner. Keep the banquets and vendors on a Friday/Saturday schedule, and offer ride suggestions for those days too. Or maybe alternative activities...

Precisely! Groo nailed it! I have found the last 2 WFOs to be cramped when it comes to fitting in some great rides and having time to test ride a bike or mingle with the vendors more. There were more installs going on this year than last and I suspect there will be more next year too. That requires a free day, staying at the hotel to get those things done. I think adding Wednesday really needs to be considered. Besides, if a lot of people show up, it will be worth the vendor's time to be there another day. And Yamaha made it there on Wednesday this year anyways.

I have attended a few week-long industry events. Typically the vendors are there for one or two days and the rest of the week is spent on other activities.

The biggest problem with any event is finding a venue that is the right size with the right price and the right amenities (like good roads) for the intended audience.

Actually, I was too conservative in my first suggestion. It should be an 11 month event, that would give me a month to torque the tree huggers here, plenty of time as they like to go on and on about life's horrors, if nothing new they'll dredge up the old. A month gives them a years worth of material. Yeah, semi-political, so what. I'm so sick of these non-smoking dick lickin vegetarian fucks I'd ride a Cub 50 in the IBR if only because it would get me away from them that much longer.

Cheers to Radman :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: The master of understatement!

:jester:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts