190-50-17 Rear Tire on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berde

Reaction score
Has anybody ran this tire size at the rear, and if so what are the pros and cons of doing it? Right now is this time of year to buy new tires and I am considering running the stock size at front and 190-50-17 at the rear which is the same tire size combination as 98% of sport bikes and some touring bikes out there.

BERDE

Has anybody ran this tire size at the rear, and if so what are the pros and cons of doing it? Right now is this time of year to buy new tires and I am considering running the stock size at front and 190-50-17 at the rear which is the same tire size combination as 98% of sport bikes and some touring bikes out there.
BERDE

Where's my popcorn???

I was lam-blasted for this exact topic. It seems few "if any" have attempted to put a 190 on the rear. nearly everyone stated it will slow turn-in, or it wont fit the rim. Many riders of the Sprint ST "Triumph" have gone to the 190 on their 6" rim and have noticed quicker turn-in. The argument is that the tire becomes taller than a 180 thus giving it a more rounded/pointed shape. This pointed profile increases turn-in and provides more rubber on the road during leans. In regards to the rim size, our FJR's have a 6" rim (outside to outside width), just like most sport bikes with 190's. For example, the Triumph Daytona 955i have the same exact 6" rim as my Triumph Sprint ST. But the Daytona had a 190 while the Sprint had a 180.

So then, will a 190 fit on an FJR? I believe so. My concern would be the deminsion between the side of the tire and the swing-arm. I will follow up on this when necessary, but a preliminary measurement show it to be no problem.

I personally will be looking at the Conti Road Attack in the 190 size next summer.

If you beat me, let us know how it fits and rides.

...I am considering running the stock size at front and 190-50-17 at the rear which is the same tire size combination as 98% of sport bikes ...
as far as height, I measured 180/55 and 190/50 rear tires and they are so close in diameter it wasn't worth noticing the difference. so no speedometer impact

much value in life comes from sharing experiences and insight, so we all learn. why not do this and let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, A LOT more sport/sport-touring bikes have the 180/55 size than 190/50: most 600s (highest sellers), most BMWs, most Ducatis, VFRs, FJRs, etc. Size 180/55 is considered the best compromise. A 190/50 tire turns in slower indeed, but powerful machines benefit from the bigger contact patch... or looks, like anything with less than 160 HP.

If the FJR has a 6" wheel indeed, a 190/50 is the correct tire size, and with its modest cornering clearance, the difference in feel should be minimal. And fit shouldn't be a problem at all.

By the way, a 190/50 tire on a 6"wheel is slightly smaller in diameter than a 180/55 on a 5.5" wheel, but both on a 6" wheel are probably identical since a 180 would be stretched. Normally, a 190/50 tire would make your speedo 1.3% more optimistic. And the difference in diameter is 1/3", so your ride height change would be half that; not a lot, but some on an already limited cornering clearance (at least for aggressive riders).

I'm going to check my wheel tomorrow, because I'd be extremely surprised to see a 6" wheel with a 180 tire; not only because it's the wrong size, but because it's more expensive than a 5.5 incher. Take care.

JC

Has anyone ever noticed that the stock Bridgestone that comes on the FJR is allot wider than the stock Metzler? Put two FJR's side by side , facing away from you and there is a BIG difference

For the record, A LOT more sport/sport-touring bikes have the 180/55 size than 190/50: most 600s (highest sellers), most BMWs, most Ducatis, VFRs, FJRs, etc. Size 180/55 is considered the best compromise. A 190/50 tire turns in slower indeed, but powerful machines benefit from the bigger contact patch... or looks, like anything with less than 160 HP.
If the FJR has a 6" wheel indeed, a 190/50 is the correct tire size, and with its modest cornering clearance, the difference in feel should be minimal. And fit shouldn't be a problem at all.

By the way, a 190/50 tire on a 6"wheel is slightly smaller in diameter than a 180/55 on a 5.5" wheel, but both on a 6" wheel are probably identical since a 180 would be stretched. Normally, a 190/50 tire would make your speedo 1.3% more optimistic. And the difference in diameter is 1/3", so your ride height change would be half that; not a lot, but some on an already limited cornering clearance (at least for aggressive riders).

I'm going to check my wheel tomorrow, because I'd be extremely surprised to see a 6" wheel with a 180 tire; not only because it's the wrong size, but because it's more expensive than a 5.5 incher. Take care.

JC
According to Bridgstone the FJR has a 5.5" rear wheel.

Bridgstone Fitament chart

I was looking into putting a 190 on the rear of my FJR as I am going with Michelin Pilot Road 2's this time, and there is not a 180 to be found in my city as of yet (Scheduled to arrive any day).

I spoke with quite a few people regarding the 190 and everyone (who's knowledge I trusted) tells me to stick with the 180 because of quicker turn in. I once actually installed a 160 rear on my Bandit 1200 (Instead of a 180) and noticed right way how much crisper the Bandit handled. (It was an entirely different bike). So I am going to stick with the 180.

Now for those of you not familiar with metric, a 190 is 10 mm wider than a 180, which works out of .39" of an inch (less than 1/2 inch) so appearance wise, a 190 is going to be hard to notice if its the big bad rear tire look you are seeking.

Everyone tells me a 190 should fit as most tire manufacturers allow +/- one tire size.

In my case though, a 190 is actually $85.00 more than the 180 in PR 2's. (as I was quoted)

BERDE
Yes it will fit and work. Mine did. Since that is the only size that the locals had around Lake Jackson, Tx., I had the BT021-190/50 installed on the rear. The manager of the motorcycle shop said that he installs that size on most of the sportbikes and has had no complaints whatsover. I was worried about clearance but it appears to have the exact same clearance as the BT020- 180/55 that I had on before.

Rode with FJRMGM to SFO and back (about 1850 miles) and had no issues or concerns with it in all the twisties that we found there in Arkansas. So I now know that if the store does not have a 180/55 that I can have a 190/50 installed except it did cost a little more of course. I almost had the Shinko installed but it did measure a bit wider uninstalled but I think now that it would have cleared the rear brake thingamajig that angles down to the caliper assembly.

Well said. I figure if I'm touching the feelers and my boots down so readily due to the modest cornering clearance with a 180 , then going to a 190 isn't going to make much of a difference. I've always liked the look of a 190, and that contact patch was appreciated on my GSXR.

Heck, it may even get me to slow down and remember that I don't have to push this bike like a race replica.

My new mantra when out in the twisties with the FJR:

This is not a race replica. This is not a race replica. This is not a race replica. This is not a race replica.

Man, what a bike!