TIRE 190 series

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojofjr1300

Reaction score
the new concours 14 comes with a 190 series rear tire. has any one tried this swap on a fjr and what was good or bad performance wise of the swap.

Well shit, if a 190 is better than a 180, why not a 200?

Or a 210?

Or a 220?

Or a 230?

Or a 240?

the new concours 14 comes with a 190 series rear tire. has any one tried this swap on a fjr and what was good or bad performance wise of the swap.
The most likely effect of putting on a tire wider than the bike was designed for is that it would slow down the steering.

Based on everything I have read, I wouldn't recommend placing tires on your bike that are not of the recommended sizes and ratios.

In general, wider tires will hamper your steering, especially at low speeds.

A few years ago, my son decided he knew more than the people that designed his GSX-R1000. He started listening to all the sportbike racer wannabees and experimented with wider tires, narrower tires, and different profile tires, than were recommended by Suzuki for that bike. Then he began to alter his suspension, primarily by altering his triple clamp position, to try to improve handling and turn-ins. To make a long story short, he became hopelessly lost in the changes. After a lot of money, time, and hair pulling, he went back to the manufacturer recommended sizes for the front and rear tires and close to the stock settings for his triple clamp. He could not improve on those recommendations and settings and everything he did only made the bike handle less than optimally.

IRBR

If you put a 190 on a wheel that is under 6 inches wide (I'll guess the FJR's wheel is 5.5 inches, like the Honda Blackbird OEM wheel), then you're going to change the profile of the tire, making the edges of the traction patch steeper. Reportedly, the difference isn't too bad when the tire is new, but before very long into the life of the tire, the transition to the edge of the tire starts to get spooky and it wants to step out.

This topic has been discussed at length on the XX site (which bike uses the same size tires as the FJR) and a friend of mine had a 190 on the back of his XX (his '98 was nearly identical to my old '97XX and we were both running Pilot Powers) -- the dealer put the wrong size on. That friend reported exactly what Kevin Cameron's book and other experienced riders on the XX site said (as above). He could not keep up with me in even slow twisty riding, and it wasn't a rider skill issue -- it was a spooky feel issue. 6.00 or 6.25 inch wide wheels are required, and if they are on, then it handles as intended, but as others have said, even then, it isn't going to turn in quite as quickly as the 180 on a 5.5. As I understand it, the main reason liter sport bikes have adopted them is because there is more rubber on the road to handle their even greater horsepower.

So, figuring that aftermarket wheels that will fit an FJR with its drive hub are unavailable, I'd say you're stuck with the 180, and that putting a 190 on that wheel would be foolish.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put a 190 on a wheel that is under 6 inches wide ...................................
.............................................. even then, it isn't going to turn in quite as quickly as the 180 on a 5.5. As I understand it, the main reason liter sport bikes have adopted them is because there is more rubber on the road to handle their even greater horsepower.

So, figuring that aftermarket wheels that will fit an FJR with its drive hub are unavailable, I'd say you're stuck with the 180, and that putting a 190 on that wheel would be foolish.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That was a good, extremely detailed, and to the point response and all. But I liked mine better!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That was a good, extremely detailed, and to the point response and all. But I liked mine better!
Well, you were teaching to the advanced class in "Smart Ass Tire Tech 302". Mine was the prerequisite course "Wider Tires 101". ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a guy that has run a 190 rear on his FJR for some time now. He claims that he likes it better. I tend to believe what you guys have written and, as a general rule, I don't change the manufacturers specs. on anything I own, but I don't argue the point with him because I want to remain friends. If some of you want to chat with him about it, he hangs out at the other forum and goes by "reaper."

I would stay with a 180 myself.

The bike was designed for that tire. I do not see any need or advantage to go up in size, plus a 190 is more expensive than a 180.

My TLR came through with a 190 rear but many of the TLR riders go down to a 180 for quicker steering response.

I have an Avon rear about to go to the tire heap and I'm gonna throw on the Pilot Power 190/50 from my good pile in a couple weeks-I'll let you know.

One thing is for absolute certainty. All other things being equal, the 190 series tires will lighten your wallet faster... :glare:

I have an Avon rear about to go to the tire heap and I'm gonna throw on the Pilot Power 190/50 from my good pile in a couple weeks-I'll let you know.

Cool! Love to hear about it.

Tossed the Avon rear, mounted the Pilot Power 190/50 and it's pretty decent. Had to adjust suspension for the change in geometry;

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry289693

From those settings I listed, in that thread, I just turned in 3 clicks of Preload on the forks and voila! Tough to judge as my suspension needs a Penske and fresh oil/springs in the forks, but it's quite a different feel and ride. The tip in is much more stable and consistent with this tire compared to the Avon ST 46. The 50 profile drops rear ride height about 2-3mm taking more weight off the front end, hence the fork preload increase. Front wanted to wander a bit, but it's got a well worn Avon ST on there. If Michelin has a 190/55 I'll throw that on when I do fresh tires on front and rear this winter. Cheers.

I installed a 190 on an FZ for a friend a few weeks ago. He reports it rides fine and turns quicker. (norm is 180)