What tire to buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just tryna get ur attn....BUT Mates, here's a perhaps backwards tire Q: Just bought this '06 three months ago and I'm coming up on 4K mi on these Michelin Road Pilot CT 2's. No idea the actual mileage, but one was mf'd in 2012, the other in 2014. They're about done. ...not quite. But even as worn as they are right now, they're still pretty darned good for my fairly conservative riding "style." ( there's still a good 3/4 to an inch of chicken strip) Obv, the new Road 6 seems to be everyone's fave, but I THINK I'd be happy with some previous ..read less $$$ version of the Michelin Road series, perhaps even another set of the CT 2's since I could likely find them at a better price, esp over the winter. I see 4's and 5's and one called the GT. Are any UN suitable for my machine?? Thanx and I hope you enjoy the convo! Ride safe!

"GT" versions are generally better for heavier bikes like the FJR. Road 6 seems to get the nod for Michelins. More expensive but longer lived than the Road 5. Roadsmart IV is the new one from Dunlop - I have run multiple sets of the RS III which I have liked. I have a set of RS IV waiting in the wings. Currently running Bridgestone T32 GT which have been decent. You'll find everyone has their favorites from Michelin to Dunlop and Pirelli to Metzeler. Continental, Shinko, Avon etc... Lots of reading to be done here and elsewhere.

Tires dated 2012 and 2014, should be replaced. Depending on how they have been stored, the rubber may have degraded to the point where they aren't safe. No matter what, I wouldn't push them. Watch for cracks, bulges etc...

Edit: You might want to start with this recent thread.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/tires-what-tires-are-everyone-running-on-their-fjr.181257/
Countless more on this site!!

Last edited:
"GT" versions are generally better for heavier bikes like the FJR. Road 6 seems to get the nod for Michelins. More expensive but longer lived than the Road 5. Roadsmart IV is the new one from Dunlop - I have run multiple sets of the RS III which I have liked. I have a set of RS IV waiting in the wings. Currently running Bridgestone T32 GT which have been decent. You'll find everyone has their favorites from Michelin to Dunlop and Pirelli to Metzeler. Continental, Shinko, Avon etc... Lots of reading to be done here and elsewhere.

Tires dated 2012 and 2014, should be replaced. Depending on how they have been stored, the rubber may have degraded to the point where they aren't safe. No matter what, I wouldn't push them. Watch for cracks, bulges etc...

Edit: You might want to start with this recent thread.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/tires-what-tires-are-everyone-running-on-their-fjr.181257/
Countless more on this site!!
Thanx, mate!

Welcome to the FJR world. I don't follow all the rules, never have. But I don't run rubber over 5 years old. If they are almost spent anyways; just go for it. IMHO And as RossKean expressed; get reading because everyone has their favorite. I am also running Michelin Road Pilot CT 2's. They are just OK. In the past I had a few sets of Pilot Road 3's, (Different bike) I liked them a lot more. I ask what age the tire is, when a shop has a tire in stock. (a little harder with a large internet seller) Best of luck....

Other than the Bridgestone's on the bike from new, I have been running Michelins. First was Pilot Road 2 then Pilot Road 3 and now Road 5. The best mileage I got was on the 2's 12,000 miles. I have 8,000 on the Road 5's and do not think they will go beyond 9,000-10,000. I have a set of Road 6 on hand and will be anxious to see if they meet the life of the 2's. With over 150,000 combined miles on Michelin road series tires I have never experience a loss of traction, trouble balancing, or unusual wear pattern. Long stretches of slam riding will flatten the centers but a good spirited session of twisty roads bring them back to normal.

Just tryna get ur attn....BUT Mates, here's a perhaps backwards tire Q: Just bought this '06 three months ago and I'm coming up on 4K mi on these Michelin Road Pilot CT 2's. No idea the actual mileage, but one was mf'd in 2012, the other in 2014. They're about done. ...not quite. But even as worn as they are right now, they're still pretty darned good for my fairly conservative riding "style." ( there's still a good 3/4 to an inch of chicken strip) Obv, the new Road 6 seems to be everyone's fave, but I THINK I'd be happy with some previous ..read less $$$ version of the Michelin Road series, perhaps even another set of the CT 2's since I could likely find them at a better price, esp over the winter. I see 4's and 5's and one called the GT. Are any UN suitable for my machine?? Thanx and I hope you enjoy the convo! Ride safe!
I have been through one set of the Metzler Roadtec's and really enjoy them. I ride in all weather besides ice and snow in TN and ride pretty aggressively (30 year LEO motor.) The tires wear very well with no cupping and I got great mileage out of the first set. I just installed my second set. I do use ceramic beads for balancing instead of external weights.

Thanx, everyone for the replies and convo. And to paraphrase what several above wrote, "Opinions are like ...elbows. Everybody's got a couple." BUT you've given me a really good base for my decision making and I appreciate all the thoughtful, informed responses.
Ride safe and I'll see you down the road!
G

Checking for signs like cracks or bulges is essential, and considering a replacement might be the safest bet for your rides. Stay safe out there!

Checking for signs like cracks or bulges is essential, and considering a replacement might be the safest bet for your rides. Stay safe out there!
Of course, and thanx for mentioning cracks and bulges. They're not nearly in that kind of shape. In fact they look pretty good given the mfg dates. the cupping on the front seems to affect 90 + mph and the rear is starting to square off. They're obv pretty darned good tires. I'd been running ME 88's on my BMW's. I'm just getting antsy for spring, even tho we're still 100 days away. And keeping an eye peeled for deeper discounts! Ride safe, mates!

I have been through one set of the Metzler Roadtec's and really enjoy them. I ride in all weather besides ice and snow in TN and ride pretty aggressively (30 year LEO motor.) The tires wear very well with no cupping and I got great mileage out of the first set. I just installed my second set. I do use ceramic beads for balancing instead of external weights.
I used to run ME 88's on my 1100RT. How's the mileage on the Roadtecs? And I realize speed, pavement condition, load and several other factors ....factor. Thx!

I have been running Dunlop Road Smart 3, and I find them great, good in the wet, great in the twisties, all round a good tire, and great mileage.

I have been running Dunlop Road Smart 3, and I find them great, good in the wet, great in the twisties, all round a good tire, and great mileage.
Looking forward to the Roadsmart IV I have waiting to go on. I have run (and liked) multiple sets of the RS III.
Haven't had the FJR out yet this year (but have been out four times on my BMW F700GS).