Another Ticker But It's Not All Bad News

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRAust

Reaction score
I bought my 2002 FJR in Feb this year with 52 000KM on it. When I bought it I'd read considerable info on the bike and the various models generally on this wonderful forum. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and empowering me to be able to make wise decisions.

Obviously as the bike was already 5 years old there was no Yamaha warranty on offer, but the bike shop was offering 2 years/20 000km warranty for $500.00, I decided to purchase the warranty primarily due to the Ticker stories I'd read here, and the fact that I thought the bike was a little noisy in the top end for a shimmed cam arrangement..

I put the bike in for a 60 000 km service Friday 3 weeks ago.

When I dropped it off at Sydney City Motorcycles Lancove shop, (Yep that's a plug for them they have been helpful) for the service I asked for a few other things to be checked including a re shim or at least a check. As it occurred due in part to my additional service requests the bike wasn't ready for pickup, I was stuck with the VTR 250 loaner over the weekend. No to worry..(I was greatful to have a loaner)

Monday afternoon they called to say it was ready.

I rode over to them and fortunately caught up with the Workshop manager Justin. I asked a few questions about the service he gave a good account of the work performed and explained they had checked the top end and found everything was within tolerance, but none the less he felt the bike was too noisy and may have worn valve guides. He then explained that there was an issue with the FJR's that Yamaha had issued a service bulletin on and he'd look further into whether Yamaha would cover the cost of repairing this.

At this point I made him aware I had purchased their 2 year warranty when I purchased the bike from them..He just said " seems it's now Yamaha and us that will cover this repair then".

Moving on.

Dropped in there today for a chat and Justin agreed, it's a ticker, it needs to be fixed, who pays for it is for the bike shop and Yamaha to discuss and is not my issue.

So he booked it in for next Wednesday.

All in all a great result.

So guys and gals, what advise do you have on this.. What should I look for before the job is done and after wards..

OH does anyone have the Yamaha details or required parts list for a ticker repair.

Thank you all for your expertise and assistance

FjrAust,

Well it sounds like you are in good hands. When mine was done, they just put on a whole new head. If this is not the case for you, they will replace the valves, valve guides and studs since they get stressed.

Hope this helps and good luck on your repair.

Here is a list of parts on another thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...0&hl=ticker

5jw-12213-00-00 Gasket, tensioner 2

4kg-1111g-00-00 rubber, mount 8

5jw-11193-00-00 gasket,head cover 1

5jw-11181-00-00 gasket, cylinder head 1

5jw-12121-01-00 valve, exhaust ........................................8

1aa-12118-00-00 cotter,valve.........................................16

33m-12119-09-00 seal,valve stem....... ..............16

93210-18417-00 oring .............................................2

5jw-11133-10-00 guide,intake valve ................8

93340-09141-00 circlip,outer .........8

90210-08087-00 washer plate...................................1

91317-06065-00 bolt,socket.................................................2

90210-06016-00 washer,plate..............................................2

90119-10004-00bolt,with washer..........................................10

4mf-14613-00-00 gasket,exhaust pipe...................................4

3xw-14714-00-00 gasket,muffler.............................................1

3xw-14714-00-00 gasket muffler.............................................1

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response 03HiYoSilver

I did a search for but found so much info I didn't manage to find the detail you have..

Excellent

Thanks again

I can only say that todate Sydney City Motorcycles have been very professional, their serviceing has been top class and have promptly resolved all issues with minimal fuss. Justin who is the workshop manager is a very approachable fellow and appears to run an efficient, productive team of both assistants and mechanics.

They are a very busy shop so it's not always easy to get your bike booked in at short notice but they have always accomodated me promptly.

Lucky I may be, or possibly it that there are still ethical repairers in the industry, finding them is the issue.

So for Sydney based Motorcycleists give these guys a go. It's probably worth mentioning that they aren't cheap but by that they also aren't nasty.

The saga has been on going..

Initially the bike shop were having issues sourcing the parts which is OK. I have time.

Yesterday I had a call from the bike shop (work shop manager) letting me know that his manager had brought to his attention that there was a maximum dollar value for any single claim under the conditions of the extended warranty. This value was $1500. Which would mean I would have to make the the residual of the $3000 cost.

Justin the work shop manager suggested I call Yamaha directly and state my case, plead if necessary for some assistance.

I called the Yamaha Australia Customer support line.

Spoke to a fellow named Dulion. To my surprise he was familiar with the FJR Ticker issue and described the valve guide failure etc.

He asked for some details of my bike including VIN. Checked past history and stated the bike had never before had this issue reported.

We then got into the details of how many KM my bike had traveled (60 000km) and that it was 3 years out of factory warranty.

He asked about the service history and it's over all condition, I have a full service history and it's in rather remarkable condition. I do look after the old beast.

At this point he said that although this is a known issue it's unlikely Yamaha could assist..

Hmmm I at this point was wondering what more I can say.

The way I put it was that " I understand Yamaha are not in anyway committed to resolving this issue due to the age and KM of the bike, nor would I ask that Yamaha incur any costs for the labour component but if they could supply the parts it would be a show of good faith which of course would bolster my faith in Yamaha and their resolve in the products they produce." Also mentioning that I'd owned a number of Yamaha motorcycles and would like to continue to do so.

His response was that it wasn't his decision but he would escalate it to the sales rep or management what ever was appropriate.

We discussed a little more and I gave him the shops details etc, he said he'd contact Justin at Sydney City Motorcycles.

I was not at all hopeful of Yamaha's assistance..

This afternoon I had a call from Justin at Sydney City Motorcycles. Yamaha has been in touch, they have discussed the situation at length.

Yamaha have agreed to supply the almost $2300.00 in parts, the bike shop will pick up the residual under the warranty agreement..

Bugger hey..

What an excellent show of good faith by Yamaha. I can only praise an organization that stands by their product even when it's 3 years out of factory warranty.

Guys I know we all like to let everyone know when things are going terribly but in this case I want o let you all know how Yamaha have stood by their product even when they didn't have to do so and Justin at Sydney City Motorcycles has offered excellent service, assistance and advice to ensure the best possible outcome.

The parts are reordered, just waiting to hear when we will start on the repair..

Thank you Yamaha Australia

Thank you Justin at Sydney City Motorcycles

I'll keep you posted as more details arise

I'll keep you posted as more details arise
That's outstanding, Mark!

It is refreshing to read some positive comments about Yamaha, in light the many recent hate postings by 2007 owners suffering the Altitude Surge problem.

Both your dealer and Yam Australia deserve a hearty pat on the back... good job all around!

FjrAust,

Great to hear the good news and things are moving forward for you!

Yamaha has done Excellent by me after the Details have been clearly defined(namely me telling the Dealer what the problem(s) are) so they can act properly to the fix.

Way to Go FjrAust...just in time for your season...let us know the outcome.

Just a quick update

Dropped into the bike shop today.

The parts arrived late last week, Yamaha came through as promised with all the requested parts.

I've confirmed they recommend a full head rebuild and will therefore do both inlet and exaust valves and guides, new umbrella seals etc...

She's booked in this Thursday.

I've also asked for the Cam chain and tentioner to be replaced, and possibly the cam chain guides.. I'll know more on Thursday afternoon.. (arvo)

Any other suggestions for a 60 000 KM aged motor would be appreciated..

Very nice story. Makes me want to jump on a plane and fly 24 hours halfway around the world and buy him a root beer.

Seriously, I would have been really pissed if they initially said that it would be fixed and it's between the shop and Yamaha to figure it out and then, once it's torn apart, they come back and say, you're gonna have to pony up $1500.

Glad to hear it worked out. I'm assuming you already told them to replace the spark plugs while they have the top end apart. Also, if you don't do it yourself, may want to have them sync the throttle bodies.

Thanks for the suggestions Randy.

2 more for the list

I'd not thought of plugs and I'll ask for the TBS..

If you get down under (Australia I mean any other down under activities require photographic evidence for the board members) I'll buy you more than a Root beer.

That is a really good story, and so far, sounds like the outcome will be favorable for you. Brings a certain amount of credibility to Yamaha as well.

My only (cynical) question would be, who sold you an extended warranty for $500 that has a $2000 cap on it? What a scam that was. Probably had some sort of deductible built in too, eh?

That is a really good story, and so far, sounds like the outcome will be favorable for you. Brings a certain amount of credibility to Yamaha as well.
My only (cynical) question would be, who sold you an extended warranty for $500 that has a $2000 cap on it? What a scam that was. Probably had some sort of deductible built in too, eh?
I agree Fred it's a dodgy deal, my fault really I should have read the fine print. The waranty agreement is via the bike shop, It's actually a $1500 limit in any one claim.. I impressed on the bike shop that I was not made aware of this condition and I thought it was an unfair limitation.

I will however state this point further after the repairs are complete.. I know I have no recorse as these are written conditions of the warranty and in all fairness the bike shop (or specificly Justin the workshop manager) have been very supportive and have assisted with my negotiations with Yamaha..

So far so good.

I actually called the bike shop a few minutes ago to get a progress update. The head has been rebuilt and the bike is being reassembled. Maybe I'll get it back by the end of the week!!

It's the end of the week and unfortunatly I don't have the bike back.

The upside is that Justin felt the inlet valves and guides were sufficiently worn to warrant relacement,, So I'm back to a full head rebuilt, cam chain and tentioner replacement.. That's a great result..

I really don't mind waiting a little more..

The weather here in Sydney has been rain rain rain anyway.

Awesome ! Yamaha has really made a good stand on this ! This is really good to hear. Your dealer sounds like one of the best to be found. Enjoy that quiet new ride you're going to be having . . . :clapping:

FjrAust,

Patience is a virture...and well worth while.

Glad it is raining, doesn't make one feel sooooo baaaad.

Can't wait to hear about your results. Enjoy your summer while we are fight'in it out in the winter.

The sage comes to a close.

Yamaha and Sydney City have sorted it.

I have the bike back, all up it's taken 4 weeks to the day.

I went to the shop last Friday afternoon to pick the bike up, I asked about the repair and how it had gone. The Workshop manager (Justin) explained that all had gone well but had taken longer than expected.

He showed me the box of old parts, I had a look at the valves, guides, spark plugs, cam chain and tensioner + the other assorted bits.

I asked how the bike sounded, he said better but not perfect.

We walked out of the shop to fire her up and have a listen. I can say it's quieter but, well as Justin said " not perfectly quiet" But just fine I reckon.

At least at this point I have a FJR with 62000 KM on it with a full top-end rebuild, new cam chain and tensioner, fresh oil and coolant.

Riding her home I couldn't honestly say it performed better or worse (when you have so much go it's hard to tell). She cruised as usual.

I did notice a little more vibration from about 2500 RPM to 4000 RPM. Would this be throttle body Sync??

All up what a great result. Again I say thank you to Yamaha Australia and Sydney City Motorcycles, they have done right by their product and right by me.

Thanks for listening guys and gals, I hope this has entertained and confirmed that we can have confidence in the Yamaha and their product and that there are reputable Motorcycle dealers out there..