Lower your seat; not your bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

Reaction score
My short legs and my '07 FJR are a poor mix. Not wanting to have surgery to my legs or bike's suspension, I tried to get a modified, lower seat from Rick Mayer. When that failed (read my comments in the dealer feedback section) I went at my stock seat myself.

First, I removed and discarded the plastic bracket used for the height adjustment. Next, I removed the rubber mounts on the bottom of the seat pan and replaced them with much slimmer rubber feet used on the bottom of chair legs. I then got out my die grinder and cut the mounting stands on the back of the pan. This lowered the seat so much that I had to grind out the front two reinforcing ribs on the front of each side and cut about 3/8" off the bottom sides of the pan to keep it from hitting the plastic side panels. This set the seat even lower and did not comprome the structural integrity of the pan

To complete the mod, I cut out the seat pan on both front sides, allowing the foam to compress more when I put my feet down. This made a straighter shot to the ground for my short legs. I got the idea from here Stock Seat Modification, though I did not cut out as much.

When completed, I'm about 3/4"-1" closer to the ground, I haven't lost any of the foam under my butt and the bike's suspension remains unchanged.

I don't have the ability to post photos here but would be glad to email some to anyone interested in this mod.

Another easy fix to both soften and lower the seat is to remove the seat cover, pull the foam off the seat pan, then cut length wise Vs into the bottom of the foam (a cheap wallymart electric carving knife works well). Staple the seat cover back on and you have a stock looking, lower, softer seat.

I did this with Barb's FZ6 seat and got her about 3/4" lower and softer, more comfy ride.

Take a look at my avatar. This seat done in a nice Mercedes leather dropped me nearly .75" and added a little subtlety to the neautiful silver blue stock paint.

One other item for the vertically challenged. I bought a new set of HD boots with zipper that has a 1.5" heel. This did help.

I'm getting some requests for photos of my seat lower technique. I'm putting together a .pdf file (Adobe) with pictures and directions. To any who want, just leave me a PM and I'll email it to you. With frigid temps in Chicago this weekend, I'll be indoors working on it and not out riding.

The one suggestion posted in reply to my post about cutting long V-slits in the foam is something I thought about but decided against. I actually liked the stock seat's foam and didn't want to change it. Others, however, may want to try it.

If you want a .pdf file of my seat mod, please email me at the address below. I'll email the file to you. Don't leave a message here. Just send me an email.

Thanks,

Jon

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting some requests for photos of my seat lower technique. I'm putting together a .pdf file (Adobe) with pictures and directions. To any who want, just leave me a PM and I'll email it to you. With frigid temps in Chicago this weekend, I'll be indoors working on it and not out riding.
The one suggestion posted in reply to my post about cutting long V-slits in the foam is something I thought about but decided against. I actually liked the stock seat's foam and didn't want to change it. Others, however, may want to try it.
Jon:

Please email me your pdf of the seat mod.

I have an '06 that I love. All I did was remove the four rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat and replaced them with some thin adhesive backed rubber feet (like the stuff for small appliances ect), I had some about 3/4" dia and about 1/8" thick. That drops the seat 5/16" and reduces the clearance between the seat pan and body panels that much (they do not touch.) I can't do that with my Corbin seat because the rubber feet do not come off and the seat is slightly longer and fits tight to the tank up front. It's not much but it helps and otherwise looks complely stock. The heated Corbin seat is good after 2K mi break-in but same height as stock with nose narrowed helps a little, not as much as my stock seat mod really. Corbin did not design the seat mount to get it as low as they could have. Heat feels good like a heated seat in a car but gets too hot if you leave it on more than 10 mins (even when it's 30F out thru a Joe Rocket ballistic suit.) I think the comfort of the stock seat is OK so I would like to see what Jon did to see if I may mod mine further. I may run the stock seat in the summer.

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jon,

Could you please send me you .pdf file for your seat modification. I have a 2007 FJR and like some people my legs are alittle short. My email address is [email protected].

Thanks,

Bob M

Please email [email protected] Thanks

My short legs and my '07 FJR are a poor mix. Not wanting to have surgery to my legs or bike's suspension, I tried to get a modified, lower seat from Rick Mayer. When that failed (read my comments in the dealer feedback section) I went at my stock seat myself.
First, I removed and discarded the plastic bracket used for the height adjustment. Next, I removed the rubber mounts on the bottom of the seat pan and replaced them with much slimmer rubber feet used on the bottom of chair legs. I then got out my die grinder and cut the mounting stands on the back of the pan. This lowered the seat so much that I had to grind out the front two reinforcing ribs on the front of each side and cut about 3/8" off the bottom sides of the pan to keep it from hitting the plastic side panels. This set the seat even lower and did not comprome the structural integrity of the pan

To complete the mod, I cut out the seat pan on both front sides, allowing the foam to compress more when I put my feet down. This made a straighter shot to the ground for my short legs. I got the idea from here Stock Seat Modification, though I did not cut out as much.

When completed, I'm about 3/4"-1" closer to the ground, I haven't lost any of the foam under my butt and the bike's suspension remains unchanged.

I don't have the ability to post photos here but would be glad to email some to anyone interested in this mod.
Hi Jon please e-mail the photos to me at [email protected] (when you get a chance) thanks!!

Try Spencer's seat mods (www.greatdaytoride.com). He did wonders on my ST1300 seat and I just got my FJR seat back from him (but have not had a chance to try it yet). He does good work, its very reasonable and have a very fast turn around time.

Gary

Here's the pdf that Jon made about his seat modification:

FJR_seat.jpg

Thanks Jon: I found the mod on the Forum. I will give it a try! It is always reasuring to follow in the steps of the experienced. My wife say she needs a back rest, must be my next project after seat mod. I only have put about 500 miles on the FJR, however I think my xl1200R will go on the auction block. The weather has been slightly better than Ill. thank God.

Hmmm... Anyone have any tips on raising the seat higher? :rolleyes:

At 6'3" I don't seem to have any problems reaching the ground but 'softening' the seat may be a good idea. I'll get a couple thousand Km on the stock seat and see from there.

Thanx for sharing your handywork!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but can anyone who has completed this mod post pictures of what the seat looks like from the side in the new lower position?

I'm the guy who did the mod. I don't have the ability to post pictures here but I can email you some photos of my seat if you send me your email address. I have a '07 FJR.

I have modified my modification since originally posting it, carving out more of seat pan and lowering it still some more. If anyone is interested, I am willing to update the information.

Jon

Jon, I'd be interested in the update. I'm going to buy a dremel and go to work this weekend. An extra inch lower to the ground will help a ton!

I'm the guy who did the mod. I don't have the ability to post pictures here but I can email you some photos of my seat if you send me your email address. I have a '07 FJR.
I have modified my modification since originally posting it, carving out more of seat pan and lowering it still some more. If anyone is interested, I am willing to update the information.

Jon
Email please [email protected] :D