PANTS-SHOES & HORN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSUBOY

Reaction score
Need to get my clothes together and at tha present only have a Kilimanjaro Jacket.

A. Pants: I need some input as per what you guys are wearing for touring pants, the kind that you wear over your pants and are waterproof. {presently looking at some yellow Aerostich Darien pants}.

B. Shoes: I need to get me some of them plastic looking waterproof shoes/boots that you Feejers wear. Been looking at some Alpine Stars, etc. What works best for you guys?

C. Stiebel Horns: I can't find them anywhere. Where are you guys finding/buying them from?

Talk-to-me!

A. No comment on the riding pants. I just have some Dainese leathers that I usually forego in favor of jeans for local in-city riding. If I'm going for a long ride, I'll wear 'em.

B. Shoes: I've got a pair of Sidi that I'm happy with. Very comfortable both for riding and walking and don't look like I'm wearing Times Square on my feet. Strada Evo Te-Por model that I got from Motorcycle Superstore, IIRC.

C. Horns: See hornsplusauto.com; that's where I got my (as yet uninstalled) Magnum Blasters. I've also heard the compact Nautilus mentioned, but no experience of my own.

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Lemmee tell ya a little story with pictures......

I was doin this....

gleno_wheelie_smaller.jpg

On this bike....

P1010010.jpg

When I looped it at 130 mph in Death Valley, causing this....

crash_1.jpg

crash_4.jpg

While wearing this....(this pic is 1 hour after the crash)

gear_1.jpg

The moral of this story (besides the fact that I don't really wheelie anymore) is that a 'Stitch definitely and without question saved my ass. Yes, you can tell from the last pic that I slid for a while on my face and the 'Stitch didn't help blah blah blah....but I'm here to tell you this......buy the best, cry once

Man Gleno, glad to see that you managed to cheat the Valley of Death!!! The Stich had but one life to give and it did everything it should have. ATGATT -- All The Gear, All The Time.

Nice to see the ol' avatar is straightend out too. :lol:

Alan

Lemmee tell ya a little story with pictures......
I was doin this....

gleno_wheelie_smaller.jpg

On this bike....

P1010010.jpg

When I looped it at 130 mph in Death Valley, causing this....

crash_1.jpg

crash_4.jpg

While wearing this....(this pic is 1 hour after the crash)

gear_1.jpg

The moral of this story (besides the fact that I don't really wheelie anymore) is that a 'Stitch definitely and without question saved my ass. Yes, you can tell from the last pic that I slid for a while on my face and the 'Stitch didn't help blah blah blah....but I'm here to tell you this......buy the best, cry once
Gleno -

I was thinking about going the Darian route - but after seeing your very succinct and compelling testimonial - I'm now going the one piece Roadcrafter.

And I'm glad you lived to tell us about it.

Be safe.

That's no good, Gleno! :(

On a positive note.... now you can go on a sportbike buying hunt again! :D

Personally, I recommend one of these:

YZF-R1SP_rear.jpg

YZF-R1SP.jpg

I was thinking about going the Darian route - but after seeing your very succinct and compelling testimonial - I'm now going the one piece Roadcrafter.
And I'm glad you lived to tell us about it.

Be safe.

Talk to Sally at Aerostich. Tell her you saw Glenos (from Vegas) crash suit. She'll plug you in.

I have a buncha pics of the suit after the crash. Lemme go pull some and I'll post 'em up. I promise you won't see ME in anything but a Stitch after that wild ride.

Indeed WC. The new R1 moves me large. However, I replaced the Gixx 1K with an identical Gixx 1K. I am however in the market for a new R6 for a track tool.

Okay....sorry to keep killin' this thread with toasted gear pics, but here's a few more. The Stitch was toast. I ended up with a broken big toe, a bruise on my left butt cheek from my wallet, and a bruise on my back....FROM A 130 MPH GETOFF.

Gotta love the Roadcrafter. Oh, and the Held Profi gloves too.

gear_3_left_underarm.jpg

gear_2.jpg

gear_8_left_inner_ankle.jpg

gear_7_left_ankle.jpg

gear_6_rt_leg.jpg

gear_5_rt_side.jpg

gear_10_right_side_and_butt.jpg

more_butt.jpg

wallet.jpg

gloves.jpg

Damnit WC, you can't just go posting pictures of that sexy thing without a warning of some sort! About gave me a heart attack and now I've got drool all over this keyboard.

kili 2 jacket

hypertex 2 pants (removable liner)

when it gets really hot you can wear gym shorts under the pants, etc. not a stich but for us poor people, it's not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar with Gore-Tex liners. Comfortable all year, albeit a bit bulky. One recommendation, get pants that zip to the jacket or a one-piece suit. You don't want a jacket riding up while your surfin' asphalt, God forbid you ever should.

As for boots, I just picked up a set of Diadora Hurricane Boots. They're working out pretty well for a hundred bucks.

Hornwise, I used the Freeway Blaster horns (one high freq., one low) as they are a bit smaller and seem to have a more European tone than the Magnum Blasters, which sound more Detroit to me. Either model will work with the FJRandy wiring harness, which is highly recommended by myself and about 100+ other happy customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boots: after reading a test on boots for waterproofing the only two that passed (they soaked them in water overnight with no leaks) were Sidi and BMW. The Beemer boots are goretex inside. A&S BMW.com has a pair of comfort boots on sale for 149.00 (close out). I bought a pair and they came overnight just before Christmas. I really liked them on a ride a week ago to Yosemite with temps below 40. No stiffness, a little big in the toe area but that is good for thick socks in cold weather. Very comfortable, I forgot all about them being new on the first ride.

kili 2 jackethypertex 2 pants (removable liner)

when it gets really hot you can wear gym shorts under the pants, etc. not a stich but for us poor people, it's not too bad.
+1 for the HT pants. They are convenient to put on and take off even with boots on. They are waterproof, and they are designed to work with your Kili jacket. If you are satisfied with the Kili then you'll also like the HT overpants. I believe the latest model of Kili and HT pants have zippers so they can be attached to eacother if you like.

Joe Rocket Alter-Ego Jacket (660 Denier Rock-Tex)

Joe Rocket Alter Ego Pants (660 Denier Rock-Tex with 1050 reinforcements)

Joe Rocket Blaster Boots.

Held Fresh gloves for summer / Alpinestar ST-1 Drystar gloves for winter.

And nope, never had a problem with them JR zippers. :bleh:

Riding in AZ I needed something that I could use year round and that would keep me from my asphalt allergies. The only thing that I could find was the Alter Ego jacket and pants from Joe Rocket. I can ride comfortably in 120ºF summer temperatures and down to 30ºF winter mornings with the same gear, they both have the inner rain liner and I can attach the Sahara vest (soaked in water for summer or dry for winter). The boots are better suited for rain and winter riding, they are too hot for summer, but that's ok because I put on the flip-flops and it's all good (if I could just keep the bugs from jamming between my toes...) :ph34r:

As for hornies, I've got the Magnum Blasters, but I removed them temporarily because I want to re-install them in addition to the standard horns with an enabling switch. Sometimes I just want to call the attention of a fellow rider, and the blasters are too loud for that purpose. I want to have the control of disabling them at will. :)

Also, and since we are in the gear subject, I have the Scorpion EXO-700 helmet (with the Aero skirt for winter). I love this helmet and never had any fogging issues with it.

I also fitted the helmet with the Autocom Active-7 headphones/mic and I am pretty happy with it. :)