Holeshot Header Experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdcyclist

Reaction score
Now that Dale has released the header I can come clean. My bike was the pattern, install, map and test mule for the header. I've ridden about 4000 miles with it. From my experience I can tell you all this:

[SIZE=19pt]IT FREAKIN' ROCKS! [/SIZE]

You will not believe the mid range punch. It's absolutely addictive. Your rear tire will probably not thank you. The map they came up with worked flawlessly on my bike. The sound with the Holeshot mufflers is really REALLY incredible. Muscular. WAAYYY muscular. Turns heads. For the right reasons.

Fit is the usual Holeshot impeccable. Installation is a snap. If you're experienced, install will take a coupla hours. Aside from removal of the lower plastic, the radiator just needs to be unbolted from the frame and the lower hoses taken off. You don't need to completely remove the rad. This would be a good time to install that Cox Rad screen though.

You can run stock mufflers, too. And as an added plus, the bike is cooler. Mind you, you'll still get the heat off the engine but your feet will thank you.

Other than all that, it's just OK...

I'm pretty sure you guys will not be disappointed.

I'm awaiting mine to do the pics!!! Great not to have to remove the rad, but as I see it you do have to take the hoses off the rad???

Glad it's working out!

The sound with the Holeshot mufflers is really REALLY incredible. Muscular. WAAYYY muscular. Turns heads. For the right reasons.
Congrats!

Got an MP3/Wav of the sound available to share?

Now that Dale has released the header I can come clean. My bike was the pattern, install, map and test mule for the header. I've ridden about 4000 miles with it. From my experience I can tell you all this:
[SIZE=19pt]IT FREAKIN' ROCKS! [/SIZE]

You will not believe the mid range punch. It's absolutely addictive. Your rear tire will probably not thank you. The map they came up with worked flawlessly on my bike. The sound with the Holeshot mufflers is really REALLY incredible. Muscular. WAAYYY muscular. Turns heads. For the right reasons.

Fit is the usual Holeshot impeccable. Installation is a snap. If you're experienced, install will take a coupla hours. Aside from removal of the lower plastic, the radiator just needs to be unbolted from the frame and the lower hoses taken off. You don't need to completely remove the rad. This would be a good time to install that Cox Rad screen though.

You can run stock mufflers, too. And as an added plus, the bike is cooler. Mind you, you'll still get the heat off the engine but your feet will thank you.

Other than all that, it's just OK...

I'm pretty sure you guys will not be disappointed.
So are you offering your bike for testrides? :D I bet I could get enough people to form a line clear up your street! I'm interested to experience this midrange punch you speak of. B)

My exhaust system is completely stock and I don't use a power comander. Is there anything to gain with just the header? Did you run this setup during testing?

Last edited by a moderator:
header replacement will remove the restrictions of the cat/con[1]. as with any "air pump" the input has to balance with the output for best results. opening up the exhaust may be just what the bike needs or it may reveal an intake restriction. carbed bikes would probably need to be rejetted. nice thing is, the feejer isn't carbed. as such, a power commander would give you complete control over air-fuel mixing to get the same benefits of rejetting without the hassles or tearing apart a carburator.

i'm very glad to hear that dale hasn't made it a custom setup for just his cans. this will increase the demand greatly since people can do the header upgrade using their existing cans and make incrimental mods if they want.

[1] and the heat since they tend to run about 300°F or more to do their job.

Hmmmm. FNG, no info in profile, generic header install procedure, results all might hope for, no confirm/denial from DW. I smell a .............
custom%20just%20fishin%202.jpg

[1] and the heat since they tend to run about 300°F or more to do their job.
Which is to reduce pollutant emissions, right? Living in one of the worst air basins in the country, I can't in any kind of conscience modify my bike so it pollutes like one 30 years old, midrange punch or not. I'm already out of bounds (legally) by buying an out-of-state bike (no charcoal canister). It's already quick enough and loud enough for me. YMMV, coming from a squid who still runs a stock suspension.

But what you forget is we get 40 plus miles per gallon of fuel. Whats a suburban get in traffic. Our bikes pollute so minimally that even with everything removed we stll polute so little it is marginal. I think a cow generates more pollution than do our bikes and there are people out there that are trying to remove dairies from the countyside because of this. jmho

Hmmmm.  FNG, no info in profile, generic header install procedure, results all might hope for, no confirm/denial from DW.  I smell a .............
Forgive me for not filling out my profile. Just never got around to it after switching from the "other" forum. :russian:

Yep, I'm FnG. I already spend too much time online and much of what I would post will just increase the S/N ratio. You don't need that. Go back into my profile and check my previous posts. If you're gonna do research, DO research. :fuck:

I've met a number of inmates at some recent 24hr rallies so they can vouch for me. The identifier is the fact that in each case I've been riding my BMW (is swearing allowed here?) R12GS. For most rallies, I've found the R12 to be a better mount due to the need periodically to ride on unpaved roads. The last three rallies, I rode about 30 miles of dirt in each case. :scare:

For this reason, I've sold my FJR. In the riding I do, the only thing the FJR does that the GS won't do is go 150mph. My riding buddies can attest to the fact that the last thing I need on the open road is a motor capable of 1.5 large. I think we can all agree there are a number of things the GS will do the FJR is equally incapable of. 600 watts of charging capacity and safely traveling 80mph down a dirt road come to mind. :scare2:

In answer to the previous questions:

1. No we didn't do before and after dyno tests. We'd like to but neither Dale nor I have had time to do it. It would take the better part of a Saturday and some of the obligations we've had in the last 6 months have taken priority.

2. Sorry I don't have any pics right now. I'll take some later this week of my prototype pipe. It is not coated but you'll be able to see how it mounts and the cool looking open area under the bike.

3. Sorry no sound file. I'll see what I can put together next week. Right now I don't have a way of recording onto digital media but a buddy does so we'll see.

4. Pricing. I believe Dale was pricing the header alone at 400 clam. I don't know what he's thinking as I probably woulda gouged you guys for 600! Right now he's the only show in town so you should order before I have a chance to talk with him. :bleh:

Hmmmm. FNG, no info in profile, generic header install procedure, results all might hope for, no confirm/denial from DW. I smell a .............
Skepticism is what we do here. It's much more fun.

-BD

How about the weight? Any idea how much lighter the header is compared to stock? Weight reduction would be a big selling point to me.

Dale called me too. Mine will be sent out next week and will have the ceramic coating. I'm just purchasing the header as I already have D&D cans. I bought the polish and fender extender from him as well. You must use the fender extender to maintain the 18 month warranty as without it, road debris tends to ruin the finish. The header pipes are 1/8 inch larger in diameter than stock and do not have a crossover connection pipe.

Dale called me too. Mine will be sent out next week and will have the ceramic coating. I'm just purchasing the header as I already have D&D cans. I bought the polish and fender extender from him as well. You must use the fender extender to maintain the 18 month warranty as without it, road debris tends to ruin the finish. The header pipes are 1/8 inch larger in diameter than stock and do not have a crossover connection pipe.
A standard fenda-extenda works, right?

1. No we didn't do before and after dyno tests. We'd like to but neither Dale nor I have had time to do it. It would take the better part of a Saturday and some of the obligations we've had in the last 6 months have taken priority.:
How exactly does one develope a performance exhaust without dyno runs??? "Sounds incredible" doesn't automatically equate to more power. <_< <_< <_<

And like Toecutter and Skippy, I don't see the attraction to creating more pollution for a couple hp on a bike that already has plenty.

... I don't see the attraction to creating more pollution for a couple hp on a bike that already has plenty.
What?? I'm sorry, I thought I heard you say mo' power wasn't mo' betta..

Try me again - what did you say?

-BD