Error Code 19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I just arrived home from a 2 day 740 mile trip. Unloaded my luggage, relaxed for awhile & decided that my bike needed to go to it's home for some well deserved sleep (I need some, too).

I go open the door to it's sleeping quarters, walk back to her, insert key, turn on, put side stand up, turn on kill switch & try to fire her up. No start... Error code 19 rears it's ugly head!

I get frustrated after turning off the key & trying again to no avail.

Put her up on the center stand & resign myself to the fact that my bike is going to spend the night outdoors in my driveway.

After a minute of thought I decided to go in the house & break out my trusty manual to find out what the error code is referring to. It appears to be an open circuit detected within the sidestand switch.

I go back outside, put the stand up, flip it down & then back up. The bike fired right up. Damn! sure glad that this didn't happen during my trip! I would've been PISSED!

My question... is this something that I can check myself? If so, what exactly am I looking for? Or should I just take it to the dealer & try to lean on my YES.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Peanut Gallery!

Heidi

PS... did a search & found no info on this subject. I know for sure that it's been discussed before. Please excuse the repetitious posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question... is this something that I can check myself? If so, what exactly am I looking for? Or should I just take it to the dealer & try to lean on my YES.
If you look up under where the side stand pivots at the connecting bolt, you'll see the switch. Its no doubt gotten rode grime on it and not working properly. When the bike is on the center stand, work the side stand to make sure it's working properly. You'll see the switch pin working in and out. If not, just scrub it clean and things will be fine. Keep in mind if it's lubed with anything heavy, it will attract more dirt. A lite 3-in-1 oil, if anything.

Thanks Fab... I'll give that a look/see today.

Hahaha! I have to get the pics developed before I even "think" about a ride report. I ran a Dinocam this weekend. No digital yet. Thinking that I'll have one by the end of the month, though.

What Fabone said.

If I remeber right, there's a plunger type switch that the sidestand activates as it moves forward.

If road grime builds up on the switch while it's out (in the sidestand up position), and then it's plunged (when you put the sidestand down) it can stick, and not come back out when you put the sidestand up.

You should move the plunger in a out a few times to loosen it, then clean it well, and move in and out a few more times to make sure it's moving freely.

It could also be the centerstand, I'm not sure if it will throw a different error code than the sidestand. Treat in a similar fashion.

It could also be the centerstand, I'm not sure if it will throw a different error code than the sidestand. Treat in a similar fashion.
I don't recollect ever seeing a switch on the center stand before? Would like to know where it is.

Yes there is a side stand switch, and there is also a procedure in the manual for testing that switch via the control panel in diagnostic mode.

What about just bypassing this switch?...I really don't see the point of it as I managed to ride for the past 25 years without ever once driving away with the kickstand down.

Now that you got a good answer...where's the ride report? ;)
There is a bit of talk about it in the regional ride planning "south" section and pics too with more of us to post pics soon. It was the first meeting of the Old Dominion FJR Riders Group (though we had bikes there from PA and MD also) :agent: