Clutch Shutter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raclow

Reaction score
This past weekend we were out riding, we made a stop for 15 minutes (everything was working great) we got back on and as I was pulling off, letting out on the clutch, it seemed like the clutch wasn't engaging..it sort of shuttered until I got to around 3,000 RPM's. Then when I shifted to 2nd gear it did the same thing until I got the RPM's up a little. It did it so much that I pulled over and shut the bike down to see if it would go away....like resetting a computer...for whatever reason I thought it might work. I restarted the bike and it did the same thing. It wouldn't do it at higher RPM's......as you gained speed it would go away. I ran the bike in 1st gear to around 6,000 RPM's and did the same thing in 2nd gear. I wasn't getting on it hard...just a steady climb to those RPM's. At no time was I trying to burn the clutch out of the bike....just trying to get it going down the rode since we were 50 miles from home. I'm a believer of...if it's going to break let's help it a little and then I really have something to fix instead of it happening every once in a while...that crap will make you crazy. After doing this, it seemed to go away and things seem normal.

Any suggestions as to why this happened? '05 with 1,050 mile on it.

Well, only a guess but it could be a problem in the hydraulic system or there may be something loose in the clutch basket. You don't have near enough miles to have worn out the clutch. If your bike is under warranty then you should have it looked at by a good Yamaha mechanic.

When was the last time you flushed the hydraulic fluid to the brakes and clutch?

Have you used either a synthetic motor oil with "friction modifiers" or any type of engine oil additive?

IIWM, I'd do the following:

1. Flush the hydraulics and test it.

2. Change the oil and filter and use plain old dinosaur oil at the recommended 20w40 (and test it for a complete 3000 mile interval).

The clutch plates are rusted from lack of usage. An 05 with a thousand miles?

Hmmmm, that sounds more like a problem with the TPS v. clutch. I know when my bike has been running hot, as in lots of traffic for a long time, I will get hesitation in 1st and 2nd, forcing me to rev it up to get going. Feels for all the world like it's the clutch... I think radman had a pretty good explanation over at .ws a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to link it - maybe man-boob guy can repost...

Last edited by a moderator:
@raclow:

My '05 had some clutch shudder until the second oil change - about 2500 miles. Seems it just took awhile for the clutch plates to get bedded in. I just waited until the engine was broke in and then gently abused the clutch (just launched it hard a few times each ride). Main point here is wait 'til it's thoroughly broken in before taking action - unless it's so severe as to be unridable or unsafe. YMMV.

Bounce and Jestal:

I changed the oil at 815 miles with Yamaha 20W40 oil. I haven't done anything with the hydraulics on the bike.

TWN:

You may be onto something with the running hot thing. The bike had been sitting for about fifteen minutes when I got back on and it started this mess. It was 83 degrees and very humid. Almost like vapor lock. It was in the gear/clutch area because you could pull in on the clutch and the engine was running fine. Only when you took off would the problem arise....???? Who knows?

Windjammer:

I'm sure the bike isn't broke in all the way. I hope this goes away as I am able to put more miles on the bike. I have 1,050 miles on the bike. You know, after I ran the bike up a few RPM's in 1st and 2nd, it seemed to get better...I don't know why but maybe the clutch plates aren't seated or broke in...I don't have a clue. As all of you can tell. I will see if it continues and if it gets too bad before the 2nd oil change; it will be in the shop.

Odot:

You may be right also, rust could have formed on the plates. When I got the bike, it had 129 miles on it...that was in October. :D

Geezer:

I have a great relationship with my local dealer and an extended warranty. So, if it does continue I will be in the shop.

I hope this isn't too serious and I hope it goes away.

Thank you for all of the input and let me know if you come up with something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
TWN:
You may be onto something with the running hot thing. The bike had been sitting for about fifteen minutes when I got back on and it started this mess. It was 83 degrees and very humid. Almost like vapor lock. It was in the gear/clutch area because you could pull in on the clutch and the engine was running fine. Only when you took off would the problem arise....???? Who knows?

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Go over to fjrowners.ws and do a search for TPS and Throttle Position Sensor. Back in '04 (I think), there was a pretty good discussion on the topic. Seems that the TPS on this bike has a minor history of failures...

There have been people who have gotten what appeared to be clutch chatter when they were feathering the clutch too much while not giving the bike enough throttle. I didn't see the "2005 with 1000 miles" bit when I first read your description.

Get out there and break it in. Get out on the open road and put some miles on it during that time. Give it a good mix of open road and commuter miles. If you just use it as a commuter and baby it too much you could be glazing the clutch plates. Keep the revs within the recommended range but work the motor and tranny within those limits.

Get out and get it moving for more than 30 minutes at a time. Let the motor and tranny "go" without a bunch of idle time. Take a Saturday or Sunday and put 300 miles on it. Then do it again. Get it out there to the 3000 mark with a good mix of riding styles and less stop-and-go. Then change the oil/filter again.

And, even though it only has 1000 miles on it, it's got time on it (evidently sitting in the garage). Check the color of the hydraulic fluids in the site glasses. If they aren't clear then they should be flushed.

Any suggestions as to why this happened? '05 with 1,050 mile on it.
Wow, and all this time we've been giving Brun Dog crap about having a garage queen. The queen is dead! Long live the queen!

Bounce:

Thank you. You're right. The bike has been sitting and needs to be rode. I got the bike at the beginning of Nov. 05, we moved the week of Thanksgiving. With moving, the holidays and trying to settle in; I haven't had time to ride. Things are getting a little closer to normal, if there is such a thing. I will take a look at the hydralic fluid and see if it's clear.

Thanks again for your help. I will update as things happen.

Toecutter:

Yes, this bike was and still may be a garage queen. When I bought it had 129 miles on it. Read my post to Bounce, maybe it will help me in not competing with Brun Dog. I'm trying as best I can. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!!! :p

If you are not using the bike much (1000 miles) and its been sitting around for long spells, it may help you if you remove the clutch plates and soak them in oil over night.

This problem of clutch shudder on a new FJR has popped up here every once in a while, and it is not unheard of on the R1 as well.

My 05 has a touch of the clutch shudder if I look for it - low RPM (almost lugging) and a slow takeoff from stopped (or uphill) so the slipping period is prolonged. Use a little more throttle and RPM (a more normal launch) and it's not there.

This doesn't sound like the same thing. I vote for some kind of FI vapor lock, TPS, etc. problem.

- Mark

What the hell??
Anyway I just put ~700 miles on this weekend. Check the updated siggy!! :bleh:

Losers...

-BD
Sorry Brun, But i am gone weeks at a time, And when i come home and ride, I RIDE!

Bought April 1,2005. about 8900 miles :clap: