Clutch Slipping on 08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal FJR

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had the clutch master go out. Rebuilt,replaced bushing, and flushed. After about a 30 minute test ride all seemed fine.

Today, I took the FJR for a longer ride. On the freeway I went to pass a car in 5th gear, twisted the throttle and rpms went up, but no speed increase. Under steady throttle does fine, but under hard acceleration clutch seems to slip.

My bike has 75,000 miles and wasn't expecting to have to replace the clutch.

Before I buy the parts, I figured I would check and see if there is something I am missing or another cause I don't know about.

I did search the forum and the clutch pushrod is in place and the clutch master isn't overfilled.

Thanks in advance
Rich

Sounds like there was an issue during your rebuild and the slave is not retracting all the way.

Dunno Rich. Depending on how much low speed stuff the bike has seen, at 75K you might be a candidate for at least a plate inspection. Any issues before the maintenance work? Tell 'Bug to slo down too, less throttle twisting needed then!

~G

@NorCal FJR 75,000 miles on the clutch is not horrible. However, your issue raises a few questions. Assuming the master rebuild did not entail touching the slave other that to bleed the system, have you consistently used an oil that meets the JASO MA or MA2 standards? Not doing so can adversely affect the clutch life and/or operation. As suggested above, you may have introduced a condition where the slave is not fully retracting so the clutch is unable to fully engage. I'd start with the easy things first. Try bleeding the system again. When you first crack that bleed screw open, pay close attention to whether there is some residual pressure in the line. If everything looks ok there yet the problem persists, time to look at the slave and then the clutch itself. One step at a time.

Dunno Rich. Depending on how much low speed stuff the bike has seen, at 75K you might be a candidate for at least a plate inspection. Any issues before the maintenance work? Tell 'Bug to slo down too, less throttle twisting needed then!

~G
How did you know we were riding together? Just because I was leading doesn't mean anything 😇

Last edited:
@NorCal FJR 75,000 miles on the clutch is not horrible. However, your issue raises a few questions. Assuming the master rebuild did not entail touching the slave other that to bleed the system, have you consistently used an oil that meets the JASO MA or MA2 standards? Not doing so can adversely affect the clutch life and/or operation. As 'tsuggested above, you may have introduced a condition where the slave is not fully retracting so the clutch is unable to fully engage. I'd start with the easy things first. Try bleeding the system again. When you first crack that bleed screw open, pay close attention to whether there is some residual pressure in the line. If everything looks ok there yet the problem persists, time to look at the slave and then the clutch itself. One step at a time.

Well I think I am going to start from square one and look at my clutch master and slave cylinder. If that doesn't show me anything I will inspect the clutch plates. Hopefully it is something simple. Odds are it is probably something I did and not the clutch. Fingers crossed I can figure it out.

~G

Good point George, I don't think I had any problems prior.

Thanks all for the ideas. Now I have a weekend project...

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with suggestions.

I found my problem...when I replaced the pushrod from the the clutch master to the brass bushing I put it in backwards. Fortunatley it was any fix and stuck out as soon as I disassembled the clutch lever. On the plus I side it was not the clutch plates.