• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Rifle Windshield for 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Rifle Fairing (Rifle Fairing Clicky) will be using my 06 as a test mule to design a new windshield.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I get a free shield out of this but this is YOUR chance to have input to the design! I have no other connections with Rifle.

Specifically, if you can provide:

1. Your height

2. Type of helmet (mfr/model)

2. Your dislikes of the stock shield.. what doesn't work for you.. things you would like changed..

3. What does work well on the stock shield.. what you like about the oem shield..

4. The type of riding you normally use the bike for (Rally/Touring/Commuter/Sport) etc..

5. Anything else you think needs be considered in the initial design.

I'll compile the entire response list and present it to Rifle. I firmly believe that more input = better product.

Thanks In Advance!

dcarver

what I like about the shield -

1. optical quality seems good

2. that's about it.

what I don't like

1. not tall enough

2. not wide enough

3. too loud at high position -

4. strong wind buffeting at high position

5. Weather protection aint the best

-

I'm 6'0" with fairly normal seating height. I would like to try 1" risers on the handle bars - currently using stock seat -

Mostly long distance riding/rallies and touring.

I'd like to see a smoother wind deflection over my head or nearly over my head - and same for air going around the side.

so a laminar lip type arrangement might work.

smoother air - QUIETER - with good optical quality. I don't really look through the shield - I would rather paint the thing BLACK and opaque than have poor optical quality. Even good quality that has radical bends in it (which create optical distractions) is not good. So keep the curves smooth so they don't act too much like a lens.

dont' really care about tinting.

I would like them to use some good quality lexan or whatever - not sure about coating - but if they coat it they should warn you. I ruined one bmw shield with one shot of Costco Window cleaner. Ate the coating off with one application.

(I only use water or wax now).

I agree pretty much with chicky

I am 6'2 and use a Scorpion EXO 400

I posted a question about a shield with a lip/flip at the top and Scooter replied the lip gives buffeting. I

would like a flip if there is no buffeting and I can get dead air from behind a shorter shield so it easier to see over in the down position. For me at highway speeds I think a straight +4 is a min. Width is ok, but a +2 might not hurt.

I also like the Taper on the stock (wider at base)

Oh, make sure they include a wistle! :D

Actually, they were very interested in resolving the whistle issue. Time will tell but so far they seem very proactive. I'll keep everyone posted, and Thank You for your input!

Actually, they were very interested in resolving the whistle issue. Time will tell but so far they seem very proactive. I'll keep everyone posted, and Thank You for your input!
I pretty much agree with chicky, and want to add one annoying thing to fix:

On my old bike I toured two-up for 4 years with no 'pillion effect' with that windshield (a roadster-type screen on a Triumph Thunderbird). However, when my SO rides with me now, we both get this wierd effect from having her on the back--if she moves her head, I immediately get a pressure that pushes my head in the opposite direction. Furthermore, this same 'slipstream' creates a turbulence that makes my head 'bobble' whenever she's on the back; doesn't happen at all when I ride solo. It happens regardless of what height the seat is at, or the screen. I've never experienced anything like it before, but would really like this to be addressed.

Put me down as agreeing with all of the above

I'm 6'2"

Wear a Shoei

Ride moderately agressive

Solo sport touring and some two up. Very concerned about good airflow managment when she's aboard. One of the reasons i sold my Duc and bought the FJR

Rifle Fairing (Rifle Fairing Clicky) will be using my 06 as a test mule to design a new windshield.
DISCLAIMER: Yes, I get a free shield out of this but this is YOUR chance to have input to the design! I have no other connections with Rifle.

Specifically, if you can provide:

1. Your height

2. Type of helmet (mfr/model)

2. Your dislikes of the stock shield.. what doesn't work for you.. things you would like changed..

3. What does work well on the stock shield.. what you like about the oem shield..

4. The type of riding you normally use the bike for (Rally/Touring/Commuter/Sport) etc..

5. Anything else you think needs be considered in the initial design.

I'll compile the entire response list and present it to Rifle. I firmly believe that more input = better product.

Thanks In Advance!

dcarver
DCARVER-

1. 6'00"

2. Shoei Z-2

2. When stock screen is full up - airstream hits top of bash hat (noisy). Top edge vibration (when full up).

3. Good bug killer.

4. Commuter and sport. 2 up on occasion.

5. Maybe a tint option?

Thanks.

I don't like much about the stock shield on my '06! The clarity is fine, I suppose. I'd like more height and width- with as much range as possible without buffetting. I get helmet noise (Shoei X11) at the upper half of the range- right where I'd think I would have none!~

Tint is nice- medium grey would look great on the dark blue '06- and I'd like more height and width with a nice shape that is distinctive. Right now the product on my horizon looks to be the Ztechnic- I have one on my R1150GS and it works well and has proven quite durable. Good luck- it will be fun to see what you guys come up with!!! (oh yeah, and can ya make it reasonable on the cost side??? Some of this stuff is damned pricey for what it is- a hunk of plastic on a vacuum form machine??? Shouldn't be close to $200! just because the bike is fairly costly)

Oh yeah- one thing that helps with shield design is "Seated height", or the person's height minus their inseam. I'm 6'2" but I have only a 30" inseam- so my seated height is 74" - 30"= 44"

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Yamaha Tall on My 05, Too much buffeting on the shoulders.

Currently have the Rifle Touring shield, tried with tuning block, better, but the Wife still getting a lot of turbulance. Took off the tuning block, seems to kick the turbulance a bit higher, but She still gets a lot of buffeting.

I'm 6'2" She's 5'8"