Whistle B-gone...and others

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA1195

Reaction score
Hello all from Gary in Fairbanks, AK...first post from me, but I've enjoyed reading the forums on other topics and have learned alot from you about my '06 FJR S/N 228...my 23rd scooter in 44yrs. Anyhow, I had a whistle/howl from the front of the bike at around 30 mph, and again around 65-70 with the windshield in either the full-up position or down an inch or so...sourced it to the 1/8" gap between the lower "W" wndshield cover and the shield...I stuck apiece of adhesive foam window weatherstripping 1/4" thick on the bottom inside of the W fairing between the attaching Tinnerman nut plates to seal the gap = noise B gone. Others have mentioned taping the lower windshield...the weather seal is invisible.

A few other notes on a new bike...as delivered tire pressures way low (20's)...rear brake/right front lower caliper spongy and needed air bleeding...front suspension settings off from the book specs...17 MPG issue...paint/windshield scratched likely from careless shop wash dink...everything else tight and in good shape. My local dealer has been great and reliable in the past to deal with, so this was the first exception to their normally excellent work. Buyer beware as has been mentioned.

Brisk break-in via Motoman and other's recommendations...Changed oil/filter/rear at 100 miles...full of wear metal...Cleaner now...Goes fast and handles as well as promised...Shifting notchy in lower three gears due to new stuff and FI abruptness...throttle cable tightened three times due to cable stretch...will need to adjust it soon at the throttle body end before I run out of upper cable adjustment.

Overall, this is an excellent motorcycle, appears well built, and I'm pleased with my choice. Now for a better windshield, bar risers and fenda-extenda. An endless project.

Seems you have things well in hand, nice to see a new owner with a sense of reality concerning so called "issues" with this bike. as it and you wear in together, you'll find it's the best bike you've ever owned-just takes a little gettin used to. Velkommen........ ;)

Hello all from Gary in Fairbanks, AK...first post from me, but I've enjoyed reading the forums on other topics and have learned alot from you about my '06 FJR S/N 228...my 23rd scooter in 44yrs. Anyhow, I had a whistle/howl...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Gary, Don Bowery from Anchorage. I had the same whistle/howl on my '06 as well. It disappeared after I installed a CalSci med. windscreen.

Wow...even eskimos can be smart and buy well made scoots. I don't know about the choice made with the snomobile there, vicadon. Oh well, get an eskimo drunk and there ya go.....