2007 Temperature Bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otrfjr

Don't tell Mom
Reaction score
Hi all.

After having used the incomparable, nearly perfect search engine with the string +2007 +temperature +bars, I haven't been able to locate any info on what temp each bar on the indicator, errr, indicates on my 2007. I ask because of the massive amount of incomparable idling that happened yesterday in Daytona. With all the ambient Hog noise, I couldn't hear when the fan came on. And I know it came on because several times I/the bike was pushing 7 & 8 bars (actually, I only stopped at one bar & the bike must have gone on without me).

Logic would dictate that I use the '05 values and divide by 10:

If 1 bar = 104 (degrees Fahrenheit) and 6 bars = 248 and I have 10 bars, then 248-104 = 144/10 = 14.4/per bar.

So, roughly,

1 = 104-118

2 = 119-133

3 = 134-148

4 = 149-163

5 = 164-178

6 = 179-193

7 = 194-208

8 = 209-223

9 = 224-238

10 = 239+

Can anyone confirm this (or add the .4's) & tell me at what temp the fan is triggered? Also, has anyone ever put in a toggle switch to turn the fan on manually so that the heat doesn't build?

On the plus side, I'm happy to report that even with all the idling my comfort wasn't affected. OK, I wasn't comfortable being surrounded by pipes that were [SIZE=18pt]THIS LOUD!!! [/SIZE]and the chatter of pushrods, but the heat from the engine didn't bother me.

There were the guidelines from the 05 bin of facts posted by Ignacio:

Cooling System

Celsius 1 bar 40-60, 2 bars 60-80, 3 bars 80-100, 4 bars 100-110, 5 bars 110-120, and 6 bars 120 and up.

Fahrenheit 1 bar 104-140, 2 bars 140-176, 3 bars 176-212, 4 bars 212-230, 5 bars 230-248, and 6 bars 248 and up.

and this was posted by Rister for the 06 and up.

Cooling System:

Total Coolant System: 2.75 Qt, (0.69 Qt radiator capacity, 0.26 Qt reservois capacity)

Thermistat: NIPPON model 4FM, Opening at 156 - 163 °F, Full Open at 185 °F

Coolant Temp Sensor: 290–354 Ohm (Ω) at 176 °F

(NOT VERIFIED FOR '06 YET, '06 HAS 10 BARS)

# Bars | Temp C | Temp F

1 Bars | 040-060 | 104-140

2 Bars | 060-080 | 140-175

3 Bars | 080-100 | 176-212

4 Bars | 100-110 | 212-230

5 Bars | 110-120 | 230-248

6 Bars | 120 &up | 248 &up

john

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guy.

The same exact scenario (well, going through 2-3 miles of Park and VA hospital grounds at 10-15 mph without the noise) happened to me on my then-new '06A last summer. There is a thread and I'll search, but bottom line:

nobody has yet confirmed the temperature ranges on the second generation bike bar indicators. I talked with guys on this forum and consulted a Yammi mechanic who owns an FJR and looked in the manual (not much luck there). The bike is fine. That is exactly what happens to mine and the bike is fine after 9000 miles. After spirited riding the bars will raise to 7-8 and the fan will go on if I cut the engine but leave the ignition "on" or it idles for a minute. The bars come right back down. I have never seen it go to 9 bars. There was subsequent discussion on a second 2006 bike thread reaffirming the premise it is OK.

As for the fan, somebody knowlegable (? Jestal) and others said if the coolant is not circulating (as when shut down) the cooling effect of the fan is negligible.

My memory may be off on a couple points, but the bottom line is I worried, but I don't anymore and it has not been pointed out as an issue on the 2006 models to date -- believe me I would have taken interest in that thread.

Hope this helps.

Hi guy.
The same exact scenario (well, going through 2-3 miles of Park and VA hospital grounds at 10-15 mph without the noise) happened to me on my then-new '06A last summer. There is a thread and I'll search, but bottom line:

nobody has yet confirmed the temperature ranges on the second generation bike bar indicators. I talked with guys on this forum and consulted a Yammi mechanic who owns an FJR and looked in the manual (not much luck there). The bike is fine. That is exactly what happens to mine and the bike is fine after 9000 miles. After spirited riding the bars will raise to 7-8 and the fan will go on if I cut the engine but leave the ignition "on" or it idles for a minute. The bars come right back down. I have never seen it go to 9 bars. There was subsequent discussion on a second 2006 bike thread reaffirming the premise it is OK.

As for the fan, somebody knowlegable (? Jestal) and others said if the coolant is not circulating (as when shut down) the cooling effect of the fan is negligible.

My memory may be off on a couple points, but the bottom line is I worried, but I don't anymore and it has not been pointed out as an issue on the 2006 models to date -- believe me I would have taken interest in that thread.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know during what bar (temp range) the fan comes on for a Gen I bike? I could extrapolate using my shoddy numbers (I'm guessing that from your statement, the fan on a Gen II bike comes on when the 8th bar appears). Also, can you clarify about the coolant circulating at idle? I installed a manual fan switch on my V-Max & it worked like a charm. My guess is that the water pumps are fairly similar & moving the same amount of fluid at idle. Of course, I have been wrong before. Once. OK, twice: ex-wife and ex-fiancee.

Well OTR, I was going to look through my 2007 service manual but read the posts above and decided "why bother". Probably the best I can do is take some temp readings with my laser therm probe when the weather warms up. Or perhaps I could suffocate that annoying neighbor's cat by warming up Cherie in the closed up garage.

Now there's a forum thread idea that's bound to get some replies! :rolleyes:

Providing my old memory isn't completely shot, the Gen 1 fan comes on at 4 bars. Since the Gen 2 bikes have twice the resolution on the temperature indicator this would equal 8 bars in the Gen 2 bikes. I have found that my '06 behaves alot like my previous '04 in traffic as far as indicated engine temperatures. The difference is the '06 seems to cool down a bit quicker when moving again.

--G

On the earlier FJR's the fan comes on when the coolant temperature reaches 105 DegC (221 DegF). The fan continues to run until the coolant temperature drops below 100 DegC (212 DegF).

On the temperature display the 3rd bar comes on at 80 DegC. The 4th bar comes on at 100 DegC. The 5th bar comes on at 110 DegC.

So the fan should come on just after the 4th bar appears.

Of course this info applies to the earlier models with a six bar display.

The Gen 1 coolant temperature sensor is constructed with 9° of hysteresis. The sensor turns the fan on when coolant is more than 221 °F (105 °C) but doesn’t turn the fan off until the coolant temperature drops below 212 °F (100 °C). If the fan switch turned on and off at exactly the same temperature it would hit 221° then rapidly click on/off. I would go out on a limb and say that the Gen II coolant temperature sensor works at the same switching points as the Gen I.

[search, search, search] Yup, both the Gen I and Gen II use the same thermo assembly 8CC-85790-01-00, so the temperature sensing is the same for both. Now, we just need some wise guy, err, smart person to give us the bars/degree for the Gen I, ’06 & ’07 displays.

Edited -- I see Constant Mesh posted while I was typing. Consider my duplicate information conformation of Mesh's data :)

Well OTR, I was going to look through my 2007 service manual but read the posts above and decided "why bother". Probably the best I can do is take some temp readings with my laser therm probe when the weather warms up. Or perhaps I could suffocate that annoying neighbor's cat by warming up Cherie in the closed up garage.
Now there's a forum thread idea that's bound to get some replies! :rolleyes:
Jeff,

When you get the readings, please post. As for the cat, I don't want to see the ASPCA breaking down your door, so maybe you could "enlist" the cat by holding it against the water pump housing or return hose. Of course correlating the pitch & volume of the meows to temp might be tricky. On second thought, just the laser therm readings. ;)

The Gen 1 coolant temperature sensor is constructed with 9° of hysteresis. The sensor turns the fan on when coolant is more than 221 °F (105 °C) but doesn’t turn the fan off until the coolant temperature drops below 212 °F (100 °C). If the fan switch turned on and off at exactly the same temperature it would hit 221° then rapidly click on/off. I would go out on a limb and say that the Gen II coolant temperature sensor works at the same switching points as the Gen I.
[search, search, search] Yup, both the Gen I and Gen II use the same thermo assembly 8CC-85790-01-00, so the temperature sensing is the same for both. Now, we just need some wise guy, err, smart person to give us the bars/degree for the Gen I, ’06 & ’07 displays.

Edited -- I see Constant Mesh posted while I was typing. Consider my duplicate information conformation of Mesh's data :)

Thanks Alan & all. So it seems like my rough scale of bars & temps is close: 8 bars is where 221 would fall & the fan would come on. But it would seem weird if the fan came on (221 degrees F) & shut off (212 degrees F) during the same bar/temp range indication. Maybe I'm demanding too much feedback, but I'd like to see the temp bars decrease so that I know the fan is doing its job.

Maybe I'm demanding too much feedback, but I'd like to see the temps bars decrease so that I know the fan is doing its job.
You already know the fan is doing it's job if it never gets to 9.

My buddy has a VMax and also installed a switch for his fan. WHY, I ask? So you can do what the bike is gonna do anyway, just a few moments sooner? If it was needed to be sooner don't you think the factory would have set it that way?

I just watched Tony Stewart run 275 laps in a Bush car in Las Vegas with his car steaming most of the way ( I think they said 250-260 degrees) and they reported his oil temp at 285 degrees. He finished 3rd or maybe 4th after turning 9 grand for 3 hours. A bar or two is not that important.

Maybe I'm demanding too much feedback, but I'd like to see the temps bars decrease so that I know the fan is doing its job.
You already know the fan is doing it's job if it never gets to 9.

My buddy has a VMax and also installed a switch for his fan. WHY, I ask? So you can do what the bike is gonna do anyway, just a few moments sooner? If it was needed to be sooner don't you think the factory would have set it that way?

I just watched Tony Stewart run 275 laps in a Bush car in Las Vegas with his car steaming most of the way ( I think they said 250-260 degrees) and they reported his oil temp at 285 degrees. He finished 3rd or maybe 4th after turning 9 grand for 3 hours. A bar or two is not that important.

Well, on the V-Max the rear two cylinders tend to run hot & since you're sitting on them, it can become uncomfortable in 90+ degree weather and stop & go traffic. There were a few cases of cracked & warped heads (not nearly as bad or as prevalent as the V65 Magna) in the earlier models. As for the other part of the "Why?"--beyond just liking to tinker & the benefit of knowing the fan is working by hitting the switch & watching the temp drop--& why the factory wouldn't change something, I operate on the assumption that the factory is focused on a functional norm that may not be perfect for my riding conditions (which include lots of 90-100 degree F riding). Since my '07 FJR runs 4-5 bars at speed, I assume that Yamaha has targeted this as optimal operating temp. Why not keep it closer to that when stationary? Is there some benefit to letting the temp rise to 221 F (besides avoiding a bike where the fan kicks on & off more frequently)? But you are correct: does the stock set up work? Yes. Can I get it to work better for my purposes? Always :D A bar or two doesn't matter...unless you're stuck roasting in traffic & get really thirsty.

Have any of the Gen I owners put in manual fan switches as a way to beat the heat? Or would that simply bathe them in more unwanted heat more of the time?

Have any of the Gen I owners put in manual fan switches as a way to beat the heat? Or would that simply bathe them in more unwanted heat more of the time?
I put a manual fan switch on my '05. My (possibly twisted) logic was that I figured I would be a lot less uncomfortable being bathed in the heat from a 2-3 bar engine than waiting until the factory-imposed 4 bar heat. Plus I feel it's a little easier on the engine to not run so hot - (I know, it's not that big a deal).

TMSAISTI - That's My Story And I'm Stickin' To It :rolleyes:

fjrinbc,

Can you tell me what type of switch you used & where you located it?

Best,

-Andrew

I put a manual fan switch on my '05. My (possibly twisted) logic was that I figured I would be a lot less uncomfortable being bathed in the heat from a 2-3 bar engine than waiting until the factory-imposed 4 bar heat. Plus I feel it's a little easier on the engine to not run so hot - (I know, it's not that big a deal).

TMSAISTI - That's My Story And I'm Stickin' To It :rolleyes:

fjrinbc,
Can you tell me what type of switch you used & where you located it?

Best,

-Andrew
Andrew

I used a simple little off-on switch I had left over from some other project. It's been a couple of years since I did it, but if I recall correctly I just tapped into the fan relay wiring to provide a 'ground' to the relay. One side is 'hot' with key on. Automatic fan operation is completely normal - should I not be paying attention (who, me?) I drilled a hole in the top of the left control unit (turn sig housing), put a little rubber condom on it (for waterproof) and that's it. It's easy to get to and use.

It would be nicer if there was some way to have this operate automatically, but what the heck. I think it makes a big differience when the weather is hot. The heat pouring off the engine/radiator is not so bad if you don't let it get so hot (auto fan-on) in the first place.

Len

From the '06 Service Manual Specifications Section:

Idling condition

Engine idling speed 1000–1100 r/min

Intake vacuum 33.3 kPa (9.8 inHg) (250 mmHg)

Water temperature 100.0–105.0 °C (212.00–221.00 °F)

Oil temperature 80.0–90.0 °C (176.00–194.00 °F)

Throttle cable free play 3.0–5.0 mm (0.12–0.20 in)

The water temperatures are the same as those for the earlier model FJRs. The cooling fans come on at 221 DegF and they go off when the temperature drops below 212 DegF. And then the cycle repeats.