Towing with the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't. However, I followed a guy in Northern California last year on an '03 FJR pulling the trailer mentioned in the first reply. The guy seemed to be able to move right along.

Ray

Here's one camping option. These are pictures of the the Leesure Lite tent trailer I tow behind my FJR, taken down at Morro Bay last year. Another forum member, kawabeemer, also tows one of these. The reason they work well is that they are only 255 lbs empty. It's not the light weight, sleek design of the little UniGo, but if you like really convenient camping for two adults, it's pretty cool.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

Here's one camping option. These are pictures of the the Leesure Lite tent trailer I tow behind my FJR, taken down at Morro Bay last year. Another forum member, kawabeemer, also tows one of these. The reason they work well is that they are only 255 lbs empty. It's not the light weight, sleek design of the little UniGo, but if you like really convenient camping for two adults, it's pretty cool.
Holy moly! That's a nice setup! I'll definitely look at those. I was wanting to pull a camper but wasn't sure if the fjr was capable. You sure have a handle on it! Where did you get your hitch?

Some friends of ours have one of these. We went to a rally with them last summer. It was quite windy and rained buckets, as in monsoon rain. They stayed nice and dry. He pulls it with a HD. He did mention that that is was critical to use a hitch mount that twists (like a universal joint). Good luck!

Rick

What does Yamaha have to say about towing (specifically with regards to th estandard warranty and the YES warranty)?

Holy moly! That's a nice setup! I'll definitely look at those. I was wanting to pull a camper but wasn't sure if the fjr was capable. You sure have a handle on it! Where did you get your hitch?
The hitch is from Dauntless Motors (also available for the FJR from at least one other vendor). Dauntless makes hitches for both Gen I and Gen II. If you get a hitch from them, be sure to specify that you travel with the factory saddle bags.

Some friends of ours have one of these. We went to a rally with them last summer. It was quite windy and rained buckets, as in monsoon rain. They stayed nice and dry. He pulls it with a HD. He did mention that that is was critical to use a hitch mount that twists (like a universal joint). Good luck!
Rick
Your Harley friend was referring to a swivel hitch coupler for the trailer tongue:
Swivel%20Coupler%20for%20web%20site_small.JPG

I had this very discussion about swivel hitch couplers with kawabeemer before purchasing my rig. He pointed out, and my experience confirms, that a simple straight coupler has sufficient clearance around the hitch ball to allow for the lean angles of any reasonable cornering speeds that are actually consistent with towing a trailer. Out on the web, one camp of opinion claims that these are a "must have" item, saying that in addition to unrestricted lean angles, they will save damage to your hitch in the event you drop your bike. The other claiming it's just another point of failure, citing cases where they have failed catastrophically, and if you drop your bike you probably have other worries than damage to your hitch.

My towing experience has been that, aside from your choice of lane position, you forget that the trailer is even there. The only time I notice it is in very low speed (parking lot) maneuvers or on bumpy roads. There you can sometimes feel a slight "washboard" effect when the tailer tongue moves up and down out of sync with the bike's motion. But what does change is that you must allow for additional braking distance. For safety, you really do need to pay attention to and jealously guard the following distance ahead of you.

What does Yamaha have to say about towing (specifically with regards to th estandard warranty and the YES warranty)?
I never asked! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

Yamabego?

There have been posts here from a guy who towed a large utility trailer with steel beams or someother thing. Totally amazing. Also a guy that towed a track bike on trailer loaded with all he needed for a weekend of riding. The bike is capable, is the rider?

Does anyone tow a trailer with their bike? I do alot of camping and was thinking about getting one.
I have done a lot of towing with the FJR. I built a couple of trailers from the Harbor Freight trailer kit and a Sears cartop carrier and they work very well. Showed up at a couple of WFOs with the rig. I also towed a big Roll-a-Home behind the FJR, but that trailer (early version) had to be loaded just right or it would get the wigglies. I've been towing for quite a few years with all kinds to trailers (except for the one wheeled variety, which I wouldn't bother with) and have always used a simple ball hitch 1 7/8" which works very well. No need for one of those swivel hitch rigs. The homebuilts would safely tow up into triple digit speeds with no issues. Your mileage will drop a bit, no matter what you are pulling, except maybe the one wheeled thingies.

Some pics of the rig I was using - a nice trailer like this one can be built for about $300 bucks. I got my hitch from Classic Industries in Australia, but there are more available locally these days. As far as what the motorcycle manufacturers state about towing trailers, not one, including Honda (Goldwing) would promote this, but there are few if any warranty issues that I've heard. There is a really good forum on Delphi all about M/C trailers.

Go to my PICTURETRAIL site for a lot of M/C trailer pics.

p.s. Here's the link to MOTORCYCLE TRAILER TOWING FORUM

Last edited by a moderator:
THanks so much for the info on hitches and trailers. I figurted there had to be people towing but I couldn't find a thread on it. I think I'll start out with the dauntless motors hitch and a harbor freight trailer to haul my stuff for now and move up to a camper when I find a good deal on one someone's getting rid of.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg
+2

Two of my riding buddies tow these and I think they are really cool...one man operation and quite quick & slick

One tows with a GL1800wing and the other a Honda Shadow 1300 - both with swivel receivers on the trailers

The advantage to me is the Wing buddy puts all my camping stuff - tent, pad, bag, small ice chest, and small cargo box of stuff in his pop up while we travel together leaving room on my bike for clothes, personal items, and spare riding gear.

If was going to a pop up for bike camping, a Leesure Lite would be my definite choice.

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

Slight thread hi-jack: (only cause some others asked)

John T - what did your trailer cost?

Same for you nightshine, what did your trailer cost?

Anything either of you would do differently with your trailers?