I’m new here.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trialsguy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for accepting me into the FJR Forum.

I live in south east Wisconsin.

I’ve been riding since 1969, and currently ride a ‘16 Ninja 1000SX sport touring bike. I’d like to transition to something more comfortable, for rides longer than 2 hours at a crack. I also motorcycle camp. I ride solo, as my wife is not at all interested in riding. From what I’ve read so far, a used FJR might be the answer to having a more comfortable, and more roomy bike, to travel solo with camping gear.

So, I’m in the hunt for a used FJR, looking to get one by May 2024.

Thanks again.

-trialsguy

Welcome. I have been riding FJR's for almost 14 years and have put close to 450,000 km (280,000 mi.) on the two that I have owned. I never had a serious issue with either of them. Short local rides, long distance touring and quite a few camping trips. I also ride solo - my wife also doesn't like to ride either. If you do most of your own maintenance, this bike is pretty easy to work on and there is a wealth of on-line help (and history) here and elsewhere.

There are some pretty good deals to be had on used FJRs and don't be afraid of something with 50,000 miles or more on it, as long as it hasn't been abused.

If you ask me (and you didn't....:)) the sweet spot in the FJR model years are 2014 & 2015 and since they are ~10 years old, there should be some excellent deals out there.

My reasons are they have the 5 speed transmission and cruise control. Guys who have the 6 speed (2016 and newer) like them but Yamaha did a recall of all the 2016 machines to do a software tweak and replace some internal transmission parts.

My 2013 has the above advantages but the cruise control is limited to a max setpoint of 82 MPH. An Ivans Performance ECU flash can fix that and smooth out the on/off throttle stuff on all years as well.

Happy hunting and welcome.

I’ve been riding since 1969, and currently ride a ‘16 Ninja 1000SX sport touring bike. I’d like to transition to something more comfortable, for rides longer than 2 hours at a crack. I also motorcycle camp. I ride solo, as my wife is not at all interested in riding. From what I’ve read so far, a used FJR might be the answer to having a more comfortable, and more roomy bike, to travel solo with camping gear.

Thanks again.

-trialsguy
Welcome, from NW Washington state!

Good luck on the FJR search. It’s hard to go wrong with any of the FJR generations, though the factory direct cruise control and heated grips are pretty nice to have and will save you some shop time.

Whichever model year you settle on, you’ll love the comfort and the capabilities that come with the FJR, for only a small tradeoff in handling, compared to the Ninja 1000SX you’re on now.

The FJR is a pleasure to ride, handles great, and can easily accommodate the gear you need for camping without any loss of performance or stability.

Thanks again.

-trialsguy
Welcome from Arendal, Norway.

Geir Ove

Fjr is the Lady, with a capital L. I also ride solo, but always sitting on the most beautiful lady In the world 😂🤣❤️.

Ps.
Ride safe 👍.

Welcome. I have been riding FJR's for almost 14 years and have put close to 450,000 km (280,000 mi.) on the two that I have owned. I never had a serious issue with either of them. Short local rides, long distance touring and quite a few camping trips. I also ride solo - my wife also doesn't like to ride either. If you do most of your own maintenance, this bike is pretty easy to work on and there is a wealth of on-line help (and history) here and elsewhere.

There are some pretty good deals to be had on used FJRs and don't be afraid of something with 50,000 miles or more on it, as long as it hasn't been abused.
Thanks Ross. Yes, I do most of my own maintennace (except tire changes, and valve adjustment).
If you ask me (and you didn't....:)) the sweet spot in the FJR model years are 2014 & 2015 and since they are ~10 years old, there should be some excellent deals out there.

My reasons are they have the 5 speed transmission and cruise control. Guys who have the 6 speed (2016 and newer) like them but Yamaha did a recall of all the 2016 machines to do a software tweak and replace some internal transmission parts.

My 2013 has the above advantages but the cruise control is limited to a max setpoint of 82 MPH. An Ivans Performance ECU flash can fix that and smooth out the on/off throttle stuff on all years as well.

Happy hunting and welcome.
Ross - Yes, I’ve been pondering which gen FJR to shop for. Thanks for the input. I suppose if I was looking at a ‘16 model , I’d need to check that it had all the recall work completed. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Is there a list somewhere the shows (for U.S. models) - the colors offered? The glossy blue would be my first choice.

The 82 mph cruise and 5 gears could (maybe?) be ok with me.
I really do like the Ivan’s CPU update in my Ninja1000.

The “air flow/wind protection/ less buffeting/and less hot air from the engine” features are important to me. Is there a year (or range of years) of FJR models that are better or worse than average? I’m an average sized rider, 5’9”, 170 lbs.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I just traded my nicely farkled ‘17 ES with 77,000 km (47,845 miles..) at my local BMW dealer in Winnipeg. They’ll probably ask about $13,000 cdn for it. With the exchange rate of approximately 25% it would be a fair deal.

Welcome from Portland! Except I'm moving next week to Wisconsin, Milwaukee area. I went from a Bandit to the FJR, great bike and I do moto camping on it. Can't say enough good things about it, and I have a 2005 with 55k miles!
Welcome to Wisconsin! I live about 20 miles north of Milwaukee. If you'd like to know about places to ride around here, let me know. The Kettle Morraines are nearby, scenic, and fun to ride. Farther away is the Driftless Region (SouthWest Wisconsin), or the North Woods, the U.P., etc. Also check out "The Slimey Crud Run" which happens the first Sunday in May and October (west of Madison, WI).

The “air flow/wind protection/ less buffeting/and less hot air from the engine” features are important to me. Is there a year (or range of years) of FJR models that are better or worse than average?

If memory serves, Yamaha addressed the heat issues in the 2006 model year.

I think the Gen III/IV (2013 and newer) fairing design contributes to smoother/quieter airflow around the rider.

I'm north of 6'3" ,use the stock windscreen and enjoy riding with the windscreen all the way down vs. raised up - of course, if it's cold or raining up she goes. The turbulence/noise in any position is really minor in my opinion. Also, I always ride with good earplugs. YMMV.

Trials, I own the 2013 WITH Ivans ECU flash.

3 drive modes, smooth shifts and UNLIMITED CC. Get a 2013 cheap (I never loved the color) and ride it like you stole it ('cause you did).

The cruise control (CC) is limited to ~82 mph on the 2013. Among other things, the Ivan flash removes the upper set limit. (All FJR's after 2013 had no upper cruise control limit from the factory.)

A little more clarification concerning the CC and the Ivan's flash.
The flash also removes the lower CC speed limit and the 3-4-5-(6) gear limit.
Meaning the cruise control can then be set at any speed in any gear after the flash.
Very useful in school zones and other low speed zones where enforcement and fines may be high.

dan