I’m new here.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I thought Mama Yama raised the CC limit from about 80 to about 100mph starting in 2014.

I now have UN -limited CC in case I was 'cruising out west' quickly.
That's correct. CC is not "unlimited" from the factory 2014- on. I'd like to get my 2013 CC limit raised but I dislike Ivan's flash overall. I tried very hard to like it but in the end removed it from my '07. I'd do it if he'd change that 1 parameter only and leave everything else alone. So I make due with a Kaoko throttle lock, it serves my needs just fine.

Is that one parameter, rbentnail, engine braking? My 13 is asking.

🏍️
I'd like the cruise control limit upped but everything else unchanged. But yes, the engine braking is the deal breaker for me. Maybe it's different for the Gen3 than it was on my '07 but I'd rather not waste my money.

Welcome to the Forum. Hard to beat an FJR in any year. I prefer (and have had) Gen II and III. The newer the better as far as technology goes is a good deal. As others have said, look that the recalls have been performed. I didn't think the CC limit was a problem, but I am considering the Ivan flash in the future for that reason.

I recently purchased a used ECU for my 06. With the plan to have Ivan Flash the used one, and still have the option to return to stock. Still waiting to receive it. I love the mountains and need engine braking... don't I? I was under the impression, "Drivability" was the big draw to the flash?? (I don't have cruise) $350 isn't that expensive; but not justified for an experiment or sit in a drawer...

Pete-o

I have Ivan's flash on my 06. The engine braking is still there, just not so abrupt -- hence the improved drivability. The throttle has a smoother transition with less of an on-off switch effect. If anything, it's an advantage on a twisty mountain road.

I recently purchased a used ECU for my 06. With the plan to have Ivan Flash the used one, and still have the option to return to stock. Still waiting to receive it. I love the mountains and need engine braking... don't I? I was under the impression, "Drivability" was the big draw to the flash?? (I don't have cruise) $350 isn't that expensive; but not justified for an experiment or sit in a drawer...

Pete-o
The new ecu needs the CO settings set at 0. Ivan has the instructions on his website.

The new ecu needs the CO settings set at 0. Ivan has the instructions on his website.
Actually, while I initially set the CO to 0 as per Ivan's instructions, I found that was a starting place and needed to be tweaked a bit. I suspect that while Ivan's tune was perfect for the sample bike he had at hand during development, manufacturing tolerances mean each bike is a bit different. My bike has a better idle and cold start performance with the CO settings bumped up a touch.

Welcome!

We've almost got it right regarding the Cruise Control. When it comes to cruise control, here is the dealio!

2013 was the first year of factory cruise control. It is limited to 82mph *indicated*, which is 80mph *actual*. Installing a 190 rear tire, or especially a car tire will make the speedometer more accurate and get that max cruise control closer to 82mph. Installing car tires on my Gen III+ FJRs has made the speedometer dead nuts accurate.

After all the complaining, in 2014 Yamaha raised max cruise control limit to 100mph indicated, or about 98mph actual. I haven't tested to give exact results yet. That is how all FJRs are since 2014.

You can increase the 80mph limit on the 2013 by 1) getting your ECU reflashed by Ivan which will give you no upper limit and lower the lower limit. There are some other modest benefits to the reflash also. One negative of the reflash is the requirement for 89 octane gas instead of the normal 87 octane. 2) Your other option is to install a 2014 or 2015 'A' model ECU. Preferably a used one off ebay as brand new from Yamaha would be $$$$.

Yamaha made a metric buttload of 2013 FJRs based on how many used one's are always on the market. Many with low miles in great shape.

Some other tidbits:

Starting in 2014 the 'ES' model, or Electronic Suspension became available. Starting in 2020 iirc, only the ES model was offered. IMHO, the ES model is an excellent compromise that most riders would appreciate. But not all.

Gen 2 FJRs are from 2006-2012. But there were some changes in there. I would not get an FJR older than 2009. A 2012 would be best as the ground spider issue was finally fixed from the factory. These are decent bikes that can be had for cheap. I've put 148,000 miles on my 2009 FJR with a Vista-Cruise throttle lock and of course a whole bunch of other farkles.

But as said above, I think the sweet spot is the 2013-2015 FJRs. There are plenty of them out there. Don't be afraid to do a Fly-n-ride to get a great deal. I have done so on many occasions. My preference is one with lower miles, say under 20k or so. The FJR is pretty bulletproof but in my experience lower mile FJRs come with less issues from owner's performing sloppy maintenance and weird farkling as in questionable wiring for add-ons.

Good luck your search.

i am reading these message with growing surprise. my FJR is a 2013, and i don't have any limitations on my cruise control, engine breaking is great, hardly have to use my normal breaks... could it be that European FJR's are different ? i know that motorcycles in Belgium are limited at 100HP (only on papers for the taxes) but i should find it strange that Yamaha configures there bikes different for each market. can some one inform me? sorry for my English, i speak Flemish or French when i go to the pub

i am reading these message with growing surprise. my FJR is a 2013, and i don't have any limitations on my cruise control, engine breaking is great, hardly have to use my normal breaks... could it be that European FJR's are different ? i know that motorcycles in Belgium are limited at 100HP (only on papers for the taxes) but i should find it strange that Yamaha configures there bikes different for each market. can some one inform me? sorry for my English, i speak Flemish or French when i go to the pub
There are bike differences between markets. I can really only address Gen II bikes in detail because that is what I own.
For instance, USA Gen II models LCD display is miles for the odometer and miles per US Gallon and degrees F. These cannot be switched to metric. The US speedometer has both metric and Imperial speed on the dial. The Canadian Gen II just has km/hr (no Imperial) for the speedometer dial and the LCD has kilometer for the odometer degrees C. and km per litre (or litres per 100 km). US Gen II bikes do NOT have an immobilizer with a chipped key whereas they do in Canada (and I think the rest of the world). Some US Gen II bikes have a charcoal canister to reduce VOC emissions but only for bikes destined for the California market. Canadian Gen II bikes do not have the canister. Most years, Canada and US have the same standard colours but there have been some exceptions. Other markets have had colours not available here.
The "auto clutch" version of the Gen II FJR was only available in North America until 2009.

Your English is just fine! Wish I could join you at the pub!

My guess is the 2013 FJR cruise control limit was a North American thing. The USA does have more lawyers per capita than anywhere else in the world and I am sure they like to keep busy! Still, it was a stupid decision by Yamaha as no other vehicle that I am aware of has such a low limit. And they did change it the next year. Since then, there is now one highway in Texas with an 85mph speed limit, and several other places across the western US with 80mph speed limits. And if you are actually doing 80mph on those roads you better keep an eye on your rearview mirrors of all the cars that are coming behind you fast!

There are bike differences between markets. I can really only address Gen II bikes in detail because that is what I own.
For instance, USA Gen II models LCD display is miles for the odometer and miles per US Gallon and degrees F. These cannot be switched to metric. The US speedometer has both metric and Imperial speed on the dial. The Canadian Gen II just has km/hr (no Imperial) for the speedometer dial and the LCD has kilometer for the odometer degrees C. and km per litre (or litres per 100 km). US Gen II bikes do NOT have an immobilizer with a chipped key whereas they do in Canada (and I think the rest of the world). Some US Gen II bikes have a charcoal canister to reduce VOC emissions but only for bikes destined for the California market. Canadian Gen II bikes do not have the canister. Most years, Canada and US have the same standard colours but there have been some exceptions. Other markets have had colours not available here.
The "auto clutch" version of the Gen II FJR was only available in North America until 2009.
stupid me, forgot about the miles and the gallons, didn't know that there were some much difference. other than most of you, i bring my FJR nicely to yamaha dealer, who takes care of the bike as it was his mother in law. and about the colors, you should be wright. Dark Orange metallic is a color that only Japanese engineers like ...

Your English is just fine! Wish I could join you at the pub!

My guess is the 2013 FJR cruise control limit was a North American thing. The USA does have more lawyers per capita than anywhere else in the world and I am sure they like to keep busy! Still, it was a stupid decision by Yamaha as no other vehicle that I am aware of has such a low limit. And they did change it the next year. Since then, there is now one highway in Texas with an 85mph speed limit, and several other places across the western US with 80mph speed limits. And if you are actually doing 80mph on those roads you better keep an eye on your rearview mirrors of all the cars that are coming behind you fast!
you are always welcome, we have some 70 sorts of Belgian beers in our rugby club house, and after some beers, everybody speaks Franglais ...