noise in engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I've noticed a clunking noise when bike is warming up, don't notice it when its warm. Is this normal. Its an 07 with 5000 mi.

I've noticed a clunking noise when bike is warming up, don't notice it when its warm. Is this normal. Its an 07 with 5000 mi.
If it's just an occasional clunk, it is probably a slight misfire that causes some transmission backlash noise. Quite common, and discussed before, for instance here. My '06 has done it most of its life. Nothing to worry about.

Yep. My 08 has done this almost from day one. No big deal.

If it's just an occasional clunk, it is probably a slight misfire that causes some transmission backlash noise. Quite common, and discussed before, for instance here. My '06 has done it most of its life. Nothing to worry about.

My old XS11 used to do it all the time... The only time my FJR has done it that I can remember is when the mechanic was syn the injectors(carbs)

Normal ? not sure about that but it does happen

Mine does it too, since day 1. I think it is just the way it is built, I did not have any problems due to it yet.

My 2009 has had a lean misfire since new when first started up "cold" (sitting for over 4 hours). It's because of the lean factory fuel mapping for emissions, newer cars do the same thing especially ULEV (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles), the leaner a vehicle is run while in the warm up cycle the quicker it reaches temperatures where the ECM can go into closed loop operation. The quicker a vehicle is in closed loop operation the happier the EPA is. With my FJR I just let it idle while I put on my helmet and gloves then we are both ready to go the bike has misfired once or twice while sitting there and it's fine for the rest of the ride.

I know exactly what you are describing and it has been doing that on mine since day 1. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Worry more about the grounding spider issue :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 08 has been doing it from day 1 also. I tend to agree with 72duster. They've got these things so lean from the factory that they do crazy things like that. A power comander type unit will probably fix it as stated above, but I just don't want to shell out the cash for it yet.

GP