Helmet Guardian with Garaulds Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I know, I know, not another helmet guardian mounting thread....

I have always had bikes that I could lock my helmet to so I was a little bit puzzled when I got the FJR and found that they didn't even provide one. So for awhile I used nothing and just carted the lid around with me whereever I went and that got old real quick so I then tried the Helmet Guardian mounted on the license plate bracket which looked something like this.

guardian-pkg.jpg

That worked for awhile but the problem was that the helmet would contact the muffler unless I stuck the end of the dirty ass fender into the helmet. A couple of weeks back when I was at Lime Rock in Connecticut watching some racing, I moved my bike about 12 feet forgetting the helmet was hanging off the Guardian and I scratched up the side of the helmet with the tire.

Next I tried using one of TOWNSENDSFJR1300brackets mounted on the siderail of my 2006.

P1010002.jpg

That was O.K. but the helmet still contacted the hot muffler if I didn't make sure the back passenger footpeg was stuck into it plus there is not second bracket for the other side of the bike to hang Michelles helmet.

Since I have one of Garaulds Racks

I decided to try and mount the Helmet Guardian to that in some way so what I did was drill out the bolt hole in the Helmet Guardians slightly so they would accept an 8mm cap screw. I drilled 2 small holes in the rack to accept the nub sticking off the locks and I mounted the locks with a couple of 100mm long SS bolts....Quick, easy, and cheap. Now the helmets are out of the dirt, easy to lock up, and easy to retrieve. :yahoo: They may even be handy for securing a tailpack so it doesn't wander, I have to experiment a little with it. If anybody needs a couple of the longer bolts, PM me and I can send you some at a small charge.

DSCF2231.jpg

DSCF2228.jpg

DSCF2229.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that is about as nice a set up as I have seen. Don't have Garaulds rack but I bet he would sell a lot more if he added this feature.

Well done

Mac

Axeman,

Ingenious! What a great clean solution.

I will take a couple of longer bolts if you have them. I will pm you with my info.

Thanks,

John