'06+ Sargent Seat Arrived (Pics)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice Rumble

Reaction score
This is the Carbon FX, black welt, black trim which was offered as the $299.95 pre-order discount. I only purchased the front only as I ride solo. It looks well built with quality hardware. I won't be able to give it the tush test as winter has returned with a foot of snow and temperatures in the 20's with the wind chill. Others who have received theirs have had positive things to say about it so I would expect the same. The bottom side storage compartment is larger than I thought it would be and actually looks functional. It measures 7"X5" and is 1"deep. The storage cover is held in the closed position with a mini bungee cord with a plastic and leather clip. So far I am impressed and it seems like a lot of bang for the buck. They also offer a heated seat option. Delivery time was about a week and a half from placing the order. The sales staff were a pleasure to deal with and they delivered as promised.

https://www.sargentcycle.com/yamwsfjr06.htm

IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9557.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9561.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9569.jpg

IMG_9570.jpg

IMG_9571.jpg

Thanks for the photos!! It's a bit different than their photos on their website. I like the looks of the production model better. Let us know how it feels when you get a chance to ride.

Gary

I'm now sold on mine as being a true winner. It works better than any non-custom aftermarket seat I've tried (and I've tried a bunch on different bikes over the years).

I was most impressed with the perfect fit of the Sargent to the FJR. It goes on just like an OEM seat and fits on the bike perfectly. Most other seats (and especially the Corbin's I've owned) couldn't make that claim.

Curious, after you finally give it a good test, would you let us know it the "Atomic Foam" makes your butt glow? :lol: That could be the deciding factor for some of us (me included).

Do you still get to use both seat adjusting positions or are you stuck with one?

(I mean is this pretty much a direct replacement so the adjuster still works?, or do you just go with the low position?)

-MD

This is the Carbon FX, black welt, black trim which was offered as the $299.95 pre-order discount. I only purchased the front only as I ride solo. It looks well built with quality hardware. I won't be able to give it the tush test as winter has returned with a foot of snow and temperatures in the 20's with the wind chill. Others who have received theirs have had positive things to say about it so I would expect the same. The bottom side storage compartment is larger than I thought it would be and actually looks functional. It measures 7"X5" and is 1"deep. The storage cover is held in the closed position with a mini bungee cord with a plastic and leather clip. So far I am impressed and it seems like a lot of bang for the buck. They also offer a heated seat option. Delivery time was about a week and a half from placing the order. The sales staff were a pleasure to deal with and they delivered as promised.

https://www.sargentcycle.com/yamwsfjr06.htm

So do you still have the storage tray under the seat as well?

Dutch

Yes, the storage tray is still under the seat. It is identical to the OEM seat in how it attaches and includes high/low position. Only thing different is look and hopefully how much more comfortable the ride will be.

Yes, the storage tray is still under the seat. It is identical to the OEM seat in how it attaches and includes high/low position. Only thing different is look and hopefully how much more comfortable the ride will be.
any more thoughts on comfort as compared to stock? I like the looks and price doesn't seem out of line

I wish I had some seat time on the bike in order to let you know what I think about it but we are still in the middle of a late spring deep freeze so haven't been out. Other guys with this new seat in warmer climes have reported improved comfort so I can only assume it's an upgrade. Will report soon, I hope, I mean after all it's April 10th and we have a Nor'easter forecast to hit us Thursday dumping another 6-10 inches of snow. We've had local track days cancelled already due to snow on the track. Winter just refuses to quit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm anxious to hear what you think about the seat. Myself and a fellow FJR rider are on the verge of placing an order, but have questions/concerns over which seat material to get. As you said, winter just doesn't want to move out of New England - based on our experiences with another seat and seat material, we're speculating that the colder climates tend to make the material harder and slicker. Yamaha seems to have put a lot more time and money into developing a mateiral that stays flexible across a wider range of temperatures. As I get ready to ride to work, the outside temp is 24 degrees and I know the stock seat will still be pliable and predictable in how it feels - the fact that Yamaha makes snowmobiles probably doesn't hurt. I'm looking to see if the aftermarket guys use materials that behave the same way. For this reason, Yamaha's new comfort seat is an attractive option because I'm confident that they've done their homework and their design and materials will work across a broad range of climates - at leat I hope.

Oddly enough, after talking to the sales reps at Sargent, the cover called Griptex is misleading as it's actually intially more slippery than the other called CarbonFX. It get's less so with use. I just went out to the garage (20 degrees) to compare surfaces and other than the Sargent foam feeling firmer, I really couldn't detect much difference. They make a heated seat option if that's a concern.

Oddly enough, after talking to the sales reps at Sargent, the cover called Griptex is misleading as it's actually intially more slippery than the other called CarbonFX. It get's less so with use. I just went out to the garage (20 degrees) to compare surfaces and other than the Sargent foam feeling firmer, I really couldn't detect much difference. They make a heated seat option if that's a concern.

Nice Rumble,

Given that we're in the same general area, I wonder if it would be possible to arrange a meeting so my friend and I could see the Sargent seat in person? Hopefully it stops snowing long enough so that maybe we could ride the bikes and meet at a mutually beneficial location, like Manchester?. Let me know.

Regards,

Dan

I'm anxious to hear what you think about the seat. Myself and a fellow FJR rider are on the verge of placing an order, but have questions/concerns over which seat material to get. As you said, winter just doesn't want to move out of New England - based on our experiences with another seat and seat material, we're speculating that the colder climates tend to make the material harder and slicker. Yamaha seems to have put a lot more time and money into developing a mateiral that stays flexible across a wider range of temperatures. As I get ready to ride to work, the outside temp is 24 degrees and I know the stock seat will still be pliable and predictable in how it feels - the fact that Yamaha makes snowmobiles probably doesn't hurt. I'm looking to see if the aftermarket guys use materials that behave the same way. For this reason, Yamaha's new comfort seat is an attractive option because I'm confident that they've done their homework and their design and materials will work across a broad range of climates - at leat I hope.
I'll be doing 1,500 miles next week on mine. I'll report back after that.

Nice Rumble,

Given that we're in the same general area, I wonder if it would be possible to arrange a meeting so my friend and I could see the Sargent seat in person? Hopefully it stops snowing long enough so that maybe we could ride the bikes and meet at a mutually beneficial location, like Manchester?. Let me know.

Regards,

Dan
Sounds good Dan. It will have to be the week of the 23rd as I'll be in Cape Hattera's all next week, sans FJR.

I'll PM you when I get back.

I'm anxious to hear the "butt" test on the Sargent. I rode about 225 today breaking in my new 07 and the seat killed me. I'm 180 and 6' and don't have a big butt ...perhaps that's part of the problem, not sure. I know a lot of people don't like Corbin's, but that's what I've had on the Harley for 6 years and could ride all day without getting off if it weren't for gas. I thought I would try something else for a change. I definately need something different. Ouch.