08 FJR Electrical Gremlin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSrider

Reaction score
Went to start my FJR yesterday morning to commute to work but she would not start. First time in 100,000kms she didn't start, it would turn over fine but would not fire. The battery eventually ran down so I hooked up my battery tender and took another bike to work.

When I got home last night I tried starting it again but when I hit the start button I heard a little pop noise which I thought was a fuse blowing because at that point everything went black, no power to anything.

I pulled and checked all the fuses tonight, none were blown. Turned on the ignition and I had power again and the engine started right away.
confusedsmiley.png

Can anybody shed some light on what may have happened. It's working now so I am not going to worry about it unless someone feels I have an issue that I should worry about.

I agree a loose battery will pop, and result in no electrical activity. In my case even the gauge sweep froze. Prior to your first no-start, did you by any chance start the bike, and shut it down before it had warmed up?

An ignition switch failure perhaps...Also have a look at the connectors under of the tank and the T-bar if they are in good condition and if the terminals are no corroded.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Mihalis suggested, you probably need to check out the ignition switch. (Was there a recall for the ignition switch on the '08 and did you have it done?) Check out main fuse as well.

The ignition switch recall was completed. All fuses including the main one are good and no corrosion found on the battery terminals or anywhere else. Everything is working now so I'll just play the waiting game.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is just possible that you had developed some resistance at one of the fuses (fuzes), could have been the Ignition system or the Fuel Injection system - either would have prevented a start.

Just the act of pulling the fuses to check them and then replacing them could have cleared the problem.

If it were me - I would pull all the fuses again and apply a few drops of ACF-50 to all the fuse terminals (I use a hypodermic).

Is this still an issue? I found out from my local dealer there were two open recalls on my 2006.

1) Ground wire sub-harness. Replaced at no charge. If there was a sign of burning/melting, then:

2) Full wiring harness replacement.

Is this still an issue? I found out from my local dealer there were two open recalls on my 2006.1) Ground wire sub-harness. Replaced at no charge. If there was a sign of burning/melting, then:

2) Full wiring harness replacement.
It will ALWAYS be an issue, even after the items on your list are done. It requires about 10 minutes of maintenance time once the plastics are off and the tank is raised/off.