'08 won't start - fuel pump relay came loose

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence

Reaction score
Rode to work on Thur, went out to garage that night to ride home but the bike wouldn't start. The engine turned over fine, even after extended attempts. Pushing the bike in gear indicated the engine was turning over. I thought I smelled the slightest waff of unburned gas. After a number of minutes of trying, I gave up and got arise home with a co-worker. Reading forums, I came across references to trying WOT. On Fri, I tried that but no difference - no ignition sounds, so I arranged a tow (was already scheduled for new tires).

I was hoping my YES coverage would help

The issue - fuel pump relay had come loose/unplugged ?!?!

Downside - dealer claims as nothing broken, YES breakdown coverage doesn't apply

So first issue with the '08 bike at 54K miles :-[ fortunately a largely non-issue . I'd be a lot less blase if this happen on a road trip

I'll give Yamaha on Monday to see if I can get part of my costs covered ($95 diagnostics + $90 tow (YES covers $50 for breakdown tow if covered repair))

My reason for posting this - heads up on fuel pump relay coming loose. Seems odd that such would happen

Was there any mods done to the bike in the font fairing? Any wires run in that area?

Just wondering if something was causing tension on the relay wiring.

I have not opened up that part of the bike at all. On my ZG-1000 Concours (1990), I worked on that bike pulling complete fairing off, etc. The FJR - nope. The only work I've personally don'e other than change oil, was pull the rear wheel at a Tech Day to lube the rear shaft spline. The only one who has worked inside is the same dealership (included disconnecting the screen's auto-retract), but that was 2 years ago. seems really odd to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that asked - Yamaha "YES" was no help. My best guess is that the dealership mechanic (North County House of Motorcycles, Vista, CA) messed up when he replaced the wiring harness under recall/warranty. The weird part was that harness replacement was performed almost 12 months / 12k miles before the pump relay came loose. But it is the only thing that makes any sense

If as you say you never went under the tank then it was absolutely caused by the dealer when doing the spider harness check. The machanic never fully engaged the clip. They can be a bugger compressing the little rubber accordian seal. My guess is it eventually shook itself loose over time. I would point the facts out to the dealer and if he doesn't make some sort of effort to at least meet you in the middle then shame on him.

Good luck,

Dave