1960 Matchless 350. - Worth considering purchase?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was once told, truly, "We buy on emotion and justify it with logic all the way to the bank." Sounds like you've made an emotional connection that transcends logic...and that pretty well describes our relationships with most of our motorcycles.

I once rode a buddy's 60s Bonneville. Damned if I didn't bang down some clutchless shifts when I was going for the rear brake. Seems he later burnt up the electrics on that bike when he installed a battery backwards - it had a positive ground!

Hmmmm....the 500 looks really nice. Would love to hear the story behind that one. Anyone should be chuffed to snag that at a good price. Big Sky, that pretty much sums it up. Definitely an emotional thing going on there. I'm sure I'll make some clutchless changes too, but hopefully no reverse polarity battery connections!

Meanwhile some more pics.

Thanks for the tips mcatrophy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike is being picked up from the seller tomorrow then taken to the shippers depot for crating up.

When done they will advise me of shipping date, vessel and eda.

Now have to research how to register and get title for it.

Can't wait.

Congratulations Steve! Sometimes it isn't about the best, cheapest, etc.., but what it stirs in your mind and soul. If this ticked those for you, then you got what you wanted. I hope you get many years of blissful enjoyment from her. 👍🍺

What LKLD said! If you're happy, that's what matters. I hope you're very happy and it turns out exactly like you want. Congratulations on stirring your soul!

Congrats from me as well on a fine purchase. Anxious to see more pictures once it's stateside and in your possession.

Thanks for your supportive remarks guys.

Will def be posting more pics when the bike gets here.

Update on progress with Matchless.

Shippers have advised she leaves Southhampton on 26th Oct and arrives NY 2nd November. Begs a truck ride down to to Tampa and my hot, itchy little hands.

Don't want any f*kin hurricanes showing up either.
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Dagnabit!!!

Seems that the container wasn't loaded onto the ship last week so no show yesterday.

New eta now is next Tuesday the 10th, Grrrrr!!

Have joined the owners club, Jampot, and purchased tickets for the raffle to win a 1960 AJS 650!!

Watch this space!!

Congrats, she looks clean. Join Jampots, the Matchless forum and spares club. They also have online manuals. Pay special attention to the updated article on how to mount the rear tire and Speedo drive, as it will do nasty things if you don't mount it just right. Also, be sure to use zinc oil.

Thanks Hudson. Have already joined the owners club and have been researching different oils too. Guess there will be lots of suggestions forthcoming.

Also got some lead replacement additive to throw in the ethanol free gas!

sweet... you'll love it. and hate it. and love it.

not a Matchless, but i miss my vintage hard tail kicker shovel with righty shifty / lefty brakey.... bitch tried to kill me every single day
smile.png
good times.

How do you turn a 60yr old man into a kid waiting on Christmas? Let him buy a vintage motorcycle from overseas. :grin:

OK. Bike has left NY today enroute to Tampa. Don't know how long that trip takes but hopefully it'll be available for pick up next week .

So, finally the journey has ended! Collected the bike from warehouse in Tampa on Thursday, but when THIS was wheeled out weighing almost 900 lbs, my buddy and me looked at each other and said "Crap" !!

It's his truck so he said "F*ck it, put her down on top" and that's where she went.

Back at work, Jim and Jay lifted the lid while I snapped away.

Thar she blows....to see her after two months and that long trip, was a treat. Very well crated and NO damage.

Almost ready. Now to gas her up, check oil, reconnect the battery and fire up!

Just been running around the lot after starting on the third kick. I must have read the procedure a hundred times...gas on, tickle carb, ignition on, choke full on, slowly bring up to compression, ease over after lifting decompressor lever, release, then a good hefty swing.

Everything went to plan and I'm pleased as punch. Had all the gear with me, so rode her home with Jim following in the truck. Hats off to him, couldn't have done it without his help and attitude.

This week will get her registered and titled and start riding.

Early Christmas Steve! Man, I know you're so happy to have it home finally. Congrats Man! 🍺🍺