1st Long Ride - 4800 miles / 8 days

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastSpy

Reaction score
Was able to get a few days off work last week so I planned out a route from Minneapolis to see most if not all of Colorado, Utah, some of Wyoming and route back home through the Black Hills in South Dakota.

Set out early Saturday morning for Colordado Springs and knocked off 1060 miles the first day with only a slight delay due to some hail and heavy rain in mid Nebraska. Each day that followed I logged between 500 and 600 miles all on scenic byways with even some short dirt (Moki Dugway) thrown in.

Had a blast even with a Corbin saddle but I did use a airhawk for the freeway travel to CO and back through SD. Several days during the week I also resorted to the airhawk for some comfort.

Encountered temps from 34 to 105 where it was actually cooler to ride with my full face helmet on and the visor closed. It felt like opening an oven door when I flipped open the shield.

Other mods on the bike were: 2 Brothers carbon slip-ons, Zumo 550, Rifle shield, Bags Connection Engage tank bag and Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires.

Surprisingly I was averaging almost 55 mpg in the mountain states with a high of 61 mpg one day during a ride that provided a strong tail wind.

Also I feathered the left side of my front tire during a spirited ride on the upper switch backs going south down million dollar highway.. which has numerous tight 20 mph left handers.

Here are a few shots I took along the way. yah.. a few too many of the bike.

Glen Canyon UT

IMG_3615e.jpg

Going up Independance pass towards Aspen

IMG_3641e.jpg

Independence Pass

IMG_3642e.jpg

Utah

IMG_3611e.jpg

Moki Dugway

IMG_3630e.jpg

Road up Moki

IMG_3626.jpg

Top of Moki

IMG_3628.jpg

Goose-neck State Park overlook

IMG_3621.jpg

Somewhere in CO

IMG_3635e.jpg

WY

IMG_3637e.jpg

Utah

IMG_3614e.jpg

CO

IMG_3599e.jpg

Cool resort in western CO

IMG_3605e.jpg

Utah

IMG_3610.jpg

CO

IMG_3638e-1.jpg

Medicine Bow WY

IMG_3646e.jpg

Black Hills SD

IMG_3649e.jpg

Some cool roads that were made for the FJR and my mirror

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

anyone know where this is?

IMG_3632e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by the pics, having to ride through hail in NE to get there was worth it.

Just seeing your pictures has put a bug under my saddle to go on a long trip....in a major way. Thanks for sharing.

I hear it now..."Go west young man."

Awesome pics. I've covered some of those roads myself. Terrific FJR roaming territory. Can't wait to go back. No idea how you managed 55 mpg though. My gen1 gets 40 almost always. maybe has seen above 45 twice.

Thanks for posting the pics. Great memories.

Very good report. In my opinion you can never have too many pics of the bike. The pics are much better with the bike included. That last pic I am thinking was headed south toward Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona border?

Awesome, I have been on many of the same roads. This one is where my buddy Jamie ran out of gas right up at that cut through the rock

IMG_3620.jpg

He might still be there. :lol:

tomtopittsburgh109_1024x680.jpg

Most excellent RR! I absolutely love this part of the country. The 'Where is this at' photo is Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona border. Looks like you missed US 12 across southern Utah. Next time make sure you hit that.

Great photos!

Nice pics! Looks like the weather Gods were mostly good to you. :) That is very impressive mileage. Was your overall trip mileage over 50mpg?

I really need to do one of these long rides like this someday! Interesting to see the contrast of the high/low elevations out west. Pretty cool stuff. For a 8 day trip you must pack light! lol

Monument Valley.

Very cool.

Hey, where'd ya get those Harley rider's gloves? I've been look'n for some of those :) zing!

Monument Valley.

Very cool.

Hey, where'd ya get those Harley rider's gloves? I've been look'n for some of those :) zing!

You are right about the last photo but the gloves are my Pearl Izumi bicycling gloves that I used for HOT weather

on the bike. Funny but my two carbon fiber Scott bicycles (road and mountain) almost cost as much as my FJR.