2-up camping on the FJR...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGirl

Reaction score
ON THE ROAD ...(reside in AZ-85338, CA-96150,
I realize there are other threads on camping with the FJR, but I'm looking for pics (or detailed descriptions) on 2up camping, especially packing the bike? Solo camping I've got covered so no need to post those details; I'm strictly looking for suggestions for 2up. I'm making plans for more "Dad-Daughter" camping (yes, him as the passenger) and I'd reeeeally like to take the FJR this year if possible.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

AGirl

just buy "him" a bike!

:yahoo:

pic is a link to other ideas....

I realize there are other threads on camping with the FJR, but I'm looking for pics (or detailed descriptions) on 2up camping, especially packing the bike? Solo camping I've got covered so no need to post those details; I'm strictly looking for suggestions for 2up. I'm making plans for more "Dad-Daughter" camping (yes, him as the passenger) and I'd reeeeally like to take the FJR this year if possible.

AGirl

Last edited by a moderator:
Agirl, there was a recent thread over at Stromtrooper that had a two-up, loaded for bear Strom (poor, little 650). Looked mighty uncomfortable pillion-wise, but they did a rather long trip that way...

If you don't pack your shoes...

:lol:

Agirl, there was a recent thread over at Stromtrooper that had a two-up, loaded for bear Strom (poor, little 650). Looked mighty uncomfortable pillion-wise, but they did a rather long trip that way...
If you don't pack your shoes...

:lol:
LOL, TWN... on my Strom (er, DL1k), no problem 2up camping. I'd just really like to take the FJR, especially since it was parked most of last summer w/the dreaded Altitude Sickness-ECU thinggy. Been dreamin' lately of the Icefields Pkwy w/Dad and the FJR.... just trying to see if I can make this work.

AGirl

AGirl
After looking at your website, if we ever meet up on the road, I'd be pleased to buy you a beer! One hell of a rider - my hat's off to you (if I ever wear a hat)

btw Icefields Parkway is one of the most beautiful rides I have ever taken

IMG_1742mod3.jpg

LOL, TWN... on my Strom (er, DL1k), no problem 2up camping. I'd just really like to take the FJR, especially since it was parked most of last summer w/the dreaded Altitude Sickness-ECU thinggy. Been dreamin' lately of the Icefields Pkwy w/Dad and the FJR.... just trying to see if I can make this work.
AGirl
You should have about the same amount of space I would think. You might want to try one of Gary's racks: Linky.

Gunny x 10 on the Icefields Parkway. Fantastic area, and if you get a chance, go a bit west of Lake Louise and then hike a few miles south into Lake O'Hara. Incredible!

I camped while riding 2 up for years even way back when I rode a '73 Kaw H2 750 triple, When I upgraded to the '75 Z1B 900, I thought I was in the lap of luxury. Carried tent, sleeping bags, alpine (climbing) cooking gear, alcohal stove and fuel, hatchet, clothes for both us, camera, etc. in a couple of canvas saddle bags and a back pack behind the sissy bar.

Its all a matter of perspective. How much comfort and choice of clothes do you want (need).

But just do it. Do it!

AGirl
may2008040.jpg

AGirl,

Don't be confused: I didn't loan the bike to Jed & Jethro. I have Garauld's luggage rack & have done much better using a smaller tent, only one sleeping bag (with a sleeping roll as "covers"), and leaving lantern & whatnot behind. Couldn't find the rest of my bungees--they turned up in the tent bag when we were setting up--so we stopped on the way out of town & snagged a 10' piece of soft rope. If I were going to use the FJR regularly for 2-up camping, I would invest in hardcore backpacking gear: compression sleeping bags that weigh ounces and take up very little space, nifty little tent that weighs 2 lbs, etc. I would still use my Coleman dual fuel single burner stove.

All the cooking/eating materials--stove, origami plastic pates, silverware, pans, dry goods--and clothes I place in the saddle bags and tank bag. Tent, sleeping bags, soft-side cooler, thermarests I place on the rack.

Good luck & post pics of what you come up with.

may2008040.jpg
AGirl,

Don't be confused: I didn't loan the bike to Jed & Jethro. I have Garauld's luggage rack & have done much better using a smaller tent, only one sleeping bag (with a sleeping roll as "covers"), and leaving lantern & whatnot behind. Couldn't find the rest of my bungees--they turned up in the tent bag when we were setting up--so we stopped on the way out of town & snagged a 10' piece of soft rope. If I were going to use the FJR regularly for 2-up camping, I would invest in hardcore backpacking gear: compression sleeping bags that weigh ounces and take up very little space, nifty little tent that weighs 2 lbs, etc. I would still use my Coleman dual fuel single burner stove.

All the cooking/eating materials--stove, origami plastic pates, silverware, pans, dry goods--and clothes I place in the saddle bags and tank bag. Tent, sleeping bags, soft-side cooler, thermarests I place on the rack.

Good luck & post pics of what you come up with.

otr - looks like you've got one of Garauld's rack with a backrest. Did you do anything special when you mounted the rack? There have been several threads about folks developing cracks in the rear subframe when loading a tailrack/trunk with more than the Yamaha reccomended 10 lbs. It sure looks lik you have more than 10 lbs. on your tailrack. I'm assuming ~6lbs tent, 2.5 lbs sleeping bag (x2), 8 lbs. soft side cooler w/ ice & water - close to 20lbs of stuff?

I haven't done two up camping for a long time. When my son was 12-13, we did a 3 week trip from WI to Seattle to LA and back on a Yamaha XS 750 with a fairing. My son filled up one soft saddle bag, I the other. Tent went on the back with a big dry bag for air mattresses, sleeping bags, extra clothes. I didn't have a tank bag, but the Pacifco fairing had two nice storage compartments for rain gear-tools. We basicly took two changes of clothes and did wash at the campgrounds. I didn't have riding jackets and pants then. We just dressed in layers. It will work if you don't try to take the kitchen sink. Good luck.

Shouldn't be too difficult. You just have to absolute ruthless in not taking crap you don't need. Very small/lightweight bags and tent, one change of street clothes, minimal cooking gear (or just eat out and take a Jetboil to make coffee), only buy food for that night, etc.

I've camped out of a large tank bag before. It's not luxurious, but it can be done.

- Mark

For food just pack a couple lighweight foil pans - wrap some beef cuts, carrots, potatoes, and celery in foil with a splash of wine. Strap the pan to the exhaust and at the end of the day you'll have a nice stew. :) I actually saw this trick on Feasting on Asphalt.

otr - looks like you've got one of Garauld's rack with a backrest. Did you do anything special when you mounted the rack? There have been several threads about folks developing cracks in the rear subframe when loading a tailrack/trunk with more than the Yamaha reccomended 10 lbs. It sure looks lik you have more than 10 lbs. on your tailrack. I'm assuming ~6lbs tent, 2.5 lbs sleeping bag (x2), 8 lbs. soft side cooler w/ ice & water - close to 20lbs of stuff?
Yes, that's Garauld's rack. I haven't noticed any cracking, but that photo was the most I've ever placed on the rack. (I'm guessing 15 lbs +/- since the cooler has thermarests in it, not ice/water.) Have used one of these regularly which is easy to load over 10 lbs since it expands to twice its volume. Haven't noticed anything peculiar, but then again I haven't looked under the plastic.

Yes, that's Garauld's rack. I haven't noticed any cracking, but that photo was the most I've ever placed on the rack. (I'm guessing 15 lbs +/- since the cooler has thermarests in it, not ice/water.) Have used one of these regularly which is easy to load over 10 lbs since it expands to twice its volume. Haven't noticed anything peculiar, but then again I haven't looked under the plastic.
Thanks - so you generally try to keep it under 15 lbs. I'm going on a trip in a few weeks so the amount of weight I can carry on my tailrack is something I've been thinking about a lot.