2004 FJR with ignition wire bypass also burnt out the main fuse.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adyingbreed

Reaction score
So. Is the fact that I have a 20amp toggle switch to hot wire the ignition switch issue the reason why my main 50amp fuse blew?

I never got around to getting the replacement kit, which is still avail online if I search, or pulling the bars to drill the security bolts out, so I just left a 20amp toggle switch zip tied next to my ignition barrel since you still need the keys for the steering lock and safety interlocs.

Also, I'm kind of just posting this as a victory to say I got it running again.

Some part of the toggle circuit touch ground? Confirm the toggle switch connections are well insulated / not chafed when turning lock-to-lock with bars. More info (?)...shooting in the dark here (pun intended)!

Glad you got it running again.

~G

Some part of the toggle circuit touch ground? Confirm the toggle switch connections are well insulated / not chafed when turning lock-to-lock with bars. More info (?)...shooting in the dark here (pun intended)!

Glad you got it running again.

~G
I had them electrical tape wrapped but it did look like the toggle switch had either a little manufacturer defect in plastic housing or there was a brief surge that might have been hot and melted the plastic a little.

The switch is not currently ziptied as I had removed it to do the wire twist test. It is reconnected and working though. Because of that possible defect/melt in housing I think I'll replace it just in case it's the switch that caused my fuse burn out.

Should I stick with 20 Amp on/off?

Also I'm going to be carrying a spare main fuse, a T handle Allen key, and a multitool with me now, just in case it happens again so I don't have to push it to a residential street while I walk home and wait for replacement parts lol.

Stick with a 20A switch, it's more than adequate to handle the load. Yeah, a spare fuse is always a good idea for those "moments".

Old zombie thread HERE with more information and worthwhile links.

~G

Stick with a 20A switch, it's more than adequate to handle the load. Yeah, a spare fuse is always a good idea for those "moments".

Old zombie thread HERE with more information and worthwhile links.

~G
I've got that thread bookmarked lol. Was how I figured out the toggle switch lol.

But thanks.

Just glad I finally got it home.

Was sitting there for like a week before I went out there and saw a "courtesy notice" of possible towing due to unmoved/abandoned vehicle lol. I hate that adhesive! Now I need goo gone to get it off my windshield

Really? This is friendly to the common used plastic for moto windscreens?

I'll have to try this if it is.

As some else said, I'll be testing whatever cleaner I user on a bottom corner first.
I've used WD40 extensively for cleanig all sorts, dowsn't seem to affect any of the FJR's finishes, theough I've not needed to use it inteh windscreen.

Some years ago I posted up one experience here.