2004 gas gauge blinks. Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodahdude

Reaction score
We were hit by the April 29th 2022 Andover Kansas tornado. We lost everything but what was in the garage. But I do have my 2004 FJR. And our helpers threw away my file cabinet with my FJR books. Mold…

Lost story… anyway I’m back into riding again. But my gasoline was horrible. Rust color and stunk. So I siphoned all the old gas out and replaced it with new. Plus a BG cleaner.

Two things have surfaced.

#1. With the engine off, switch on, the gas gauge reads one line. Empty. The tank is full.

When the engine is on, the gauge reads, blink blink blink no level reading. Tank is full. Please help.

#2. The foot operated break sticks down. I have to focus on the road but focus on manipulating my toe to bring the level back up. Who do I fix that?

Thanks to all who ride and understand.

And yes. I did remove the upper right dash wrap around to the battery because it was damaged. Did I wiggle something loose?

For the gauge, either the sender or the plug is likely dirty or corroded. You may have to pull the pump/float to check.

The rear pedal needs to be removed, cleaned and greased.

Do the shift linkage too. Remove and clean/lube brake and clutch levers and bleed/flush clutch and brake hydraulics.

Air filter - plugs - coolant etc...

We were hit by the April 29th 2022 Andover Kansas tornado. We lost everything but what was in the garage. But I do have my 2004 FJR. And our helpers threw away my file cabinet with my FJR books. Mold…

Lost story… anyway I’m back into riding again. But my gasoline was horrible. Rust color and stunk. So I siphoned all the old gas out and replaced it with new. Plus a BG cleaner.

Two things have surfaced.

#1. With the engine off, switch on, the gas gauge reads one line. Empty. The tank is full.

When the engine is on, the gauge reads, blink blink blink no level reading. Tank is full. Please help.

#2. The foot operated break sticks down. I have to focus on the road but focus on manipulating my toe to bring the level back up. Who do I fix that?

Thanks to all who ride and understand.

BG cleaner?? Bug Guts? Big Gun? Brown Gunk? Bowling Gutter? Sorry if I don't get it !!

If you had rusty smelly fuel, then you also have a rusty fuel tank. If you continue to run the scooter with rust in the tank there is a possibility of clogging the fuel filter sock on the fuel pump, or damaging the fuel pump, or if any of that rust gets past the filter and pump clogging the fuel injectors. That old fuel may have coated the resistor arc on the fuel level sending unit where the wiper from the float arm rides.

The blinking fuel level gauge may also be the result of the fuel level sending float arm being stuck in the empty position with the wiper not in contact with the resistor arc. Try reaching in the tank with a hooked wire and gently lifting the float arm to see if the gauge display changes. You can see the float arm through the filler neck, easier with an empty tank. It could also be from the fuel level wiring being unplugged from the fuel pump connector or the wiring damaged.

Removing and disassembling the fuel pump and removing rust from the fuel tank has been covered multiple times on one or other of the FJR forums.
Hoping I'm not breaking any cardinal rules by posting links to one of the other forums.

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/before-i-make-matters-worse-fuel-pump.158419/
https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/r...any-opinions-about-por15.158410/#post-1365934
https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/fuel-leak.153544/

dan

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. -- Murphy.

Thanks. I’ll look into all that this weekend. BG is a premium grade product better than any of the top car suppliers.

Look up BG products.

In addition to the other stuff, it would be a good idea to remove and check driveshaft splines and u-joint for corrosion.
Also relay arm bearings for corrosion - these are a PITA to do, but there are several guidance threads on the forum.