2005 FJR Parts Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2Ride

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 2005 FJR as a parts bike. It is missing the seat, windshield, one muffler, but apart from that, supposedly rideable (obviously after installing a seat and muffler).

The reason I am doing this is that I need a few ABS parts (hydraulic unit, etc) for my 2004, and these parts are EXPENSIVE. The parts bike is selling for $2300.

I would like to hear from anyone who has parted out a bike. Is it worthwhile? Is there really a market for the parts? Should I be able to get my money back with a good front & rear end & engine? I think it makes sense, but just want a sanity check.

Cheers,

Bob

Yes, snap that up. But keep most of the parts for yourself. If you plan on keeping your '04 forever, it will be worth it in the long run. I would question why it's already a parts bike, though. Was it wrecked, are there other problems?

If the frame is a salvage title or other than "clean"....................it's useless to anyone other than to use on a racetrack. What's the going rate for aluminum scrap??

The motor might fetch 700+ if it's got low miles, but I would keep it along with the electronics if you want to keep your '04 forever. You would just swap out ALL of the electonics and wiring between the two.

The rear drives are only selling for $100+ on evilBay.

You should be able to get a few bucks for the body panels that aren't rashed beyond repair.

You should get a few hundred for the rims if they're straight.

In the end.........it's a huge undertaking to try and unload the parts individually via eBay or other, but that's not to say you shouldn't do it, I might......not a bad price for an '05 depending on the condition. Carfax is your friend.............and don't be afraid to call the DMV for the state the machine was originally plated in.

If the frame is a salvage title or other than "clean"....................it's useless to anyone other than to use on a racetrack. What's the going rate for aluminum scrap??

I got eleven bucks for mine...

I'm in the last stages of parting out an '05, I've done very well but still have several of the large items left such as a good gas tank, header, rear drive and front wheel. These seem like they would be very slow moving items as they don't fail, rarely get damaged and don't get bought as spares. I've sold everything I've sold here on the forum by watching the the wanted and mechanical troubles boards closely but I'm tired of the garage clutter and want the process to be over. I'll be posting a getitthehellouttathegarage post soon.

What helped me was that it was my bike that I knew everything about and got back from the insurance company at a ridiculously good price. It had very low miles and didn't have alot of damage. I paid myself back before I sold the engine with good saddlebags, trunk and a few other farkles.

$2300 seems high for an '05, (I've seen insurance offers on 2 now :angry2: ) but they were non-abs also. For $2300 you need to be getting good saddlebags on a low-mileage bike to make your venture pay. There are always FJR parts on Ebay for price comps but most don't sell...check completed listings.

I guess the biggest factor has to be the status of the title, for $2300 and repairable it should have a good title and then you wouldn't want to part it.

If the bike pays for itself in ABS parts and you don't mind parting out the rest or sellign the left over as a whole, go for it!

Plenty of other 2005 owners here that might need parts for their bikes. A few months back I would have bought some parts from you, but I already got new ones now.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

2300 there has to be a problem somewhere on that bike . Example bent frame , bent forks , problem with the engine . If there is a problem with all 3 no way you will get your cash back . Even if just the forks were scrap yyou just might break even in a good market and you doing all the packing of the parts to be shiped out .