2006 Bulb Types

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trepetti

Reaction score
Just bought an 06 FJR and I want to replace all the bulbs with LEDs. I know the headlights are H4s, but I'd like to know the bulb types of the side markers, tail light and rear directionals. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

My post on another forum for run/brake lights:

Plus, always wanted rear LED bulbs to replace the anemic incandescents. Stumbled across these in a post somewhere. Tying a string to the front brake lever and going back about 30 yds I can see they're about 20% brighter with good dispersion across the lens. For $20 at Advance Auto ($25 at O'Reilly's) they're pretty good.

FJR Run Brake LED Bulbs.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what the side markers are.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the post on another forum for rear turn lights -> https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/new-to-me-2013-fjr.153887/page-5#post-1309244. I'm extremely happy with them and have gotten nothing but compliments.
The license plate light is a 168, I took it out and matched it up at AutoZone.

You may wish to do some further reading on this forum before making this change to taillights in particular.

-Steve
I found some information about the ABS light flashing after replacing the brake lights with LEDs. Is that what you were alluding to?

I found some information about the ABS light flashing after replacing the brake lights with LEDs. Is that what you were alluding to?
Yep! And good for you for finding it. This forum is a deep resource when people put in even a bit of searching. ;)

I haven't seen that problem, but mine is a '13. The light controls are a little different.
I found a blinking very bright LED on Amazon. It works great and have had no issues on my 2014.
Buy an extra! Twice I've been on a trip far from home and had rear bulbs burn out. That's why I used the red LED I did- available at Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly's and more. There's always one around where I'll be.

If memory serves:
the ABS lamp, as you found
fast flashing turn signals (could be wrong about this)
poor performance as lamp housing/internal reflector(s) are not optimized for LED light design/output.

I think its safe to say that adding LED lamps generally turn out better than replacing with LED bulbs. Of course, YMMV, and some report they are quite happy with their conversion. There was a thread or three where some Gen 1 owners were looking at LED’s to gain back some amps to run other electrical items.

-Steve

@trepetti , if your goal is to have brighter brake lights, and not necessarily to save a few watts, then you might consider adding a set of B6 LED brake lights to the stock ones. I added a bar from Denali to my ‘06, but a lot of other ones are available too. No issues with the ABS light, and the combined light output will get you noticed for sure.

If memory serves:
the ABS lamp, as you found
fast flashing turn signals (could be wrong about this)
poor performance as lamp housing/internal reflector(s) are not optimized for LED light design/output.

I think its safe to say that adding LED lamps generally turn out better than replacing with LED bulbs. Of course, YMMV, and some report they are quite happy with their conversion. There was a thread or three where some Gen 1 owners were looking at LED’s to gain back some amps to run other electrical items.

-Steve
I have an 05 FZ6 and over the years I have replaced all the bulbs with LEDs. The fast flash was an easy fix, just replacing the old 'heat-activated' flasher realy with a solid state one.

The reflector housing is something I have been doing some research on, and there really seems to be big differences in LED headlight bulbs. Those that do a good job mimicking the incandescent bulb's light pattern, the better the reflector performance. All the focus seems to be on pure output and not light pattern.

This is my first ABS bike, and it dawns on me that the brake light switch not only lights the light, it also switches on the ABS system. It makes sense that changing the bulb alters the signal to the ABS system and might cause a warning. Odd thing is that the problem does not seems to happen on all bikes with all bulbs. I wonder if higher-quality bulbs avoid the problem.

Anyway, I will likely replace the directionals & side marker lights soon. I'll continue to research the brake light and headlight replacements.