2006 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggot

Reaction score
Just looking at a side by side online comparison, the 06 has some vast changes. From the front going back I see a further forward and lower headlight. The side fairing pointing more downwards. Looks like the mirrors are similar height but the dash is above the top triple tree. The front fairing is larger, closer to the front wheel and contoured around the wheel. Handlebars closer to the rider. Seats look more seperated and contoured for pillion. Rear pegs are lower and there is more metal between rider and pass pegs( better protection for passenger toes or rider heels?) Swingarm looks longer, exhaust pipes are shorter. Tail light section is higher with no rack. Overall the bike looks more refined and cleaner especially in the mid-section (between the bags and front fairing area).

Have to wait and see what a seating position provides and with powertrain/electrical changes. But as a possible future FJR owner it looks pretty good!!!

What do you folks think???????

BTW, I'm one of those, can't catch a garbage truck in the twisties while scraping all kinds of metal, riding a bike with bad acceleration and poor braking.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Maggot,

If i were in your shoes, I would jump all over this beauty! Like i sated before, It would not be practical for "me" to buy the '06. Maybe '07?? ;)

They have kept the fastest color. I could replace my only two month old one and the wife would not even notice; good plan Yamaha!

Interesting comparison our FJR Club in Italy has made between the current model and the 2006.

Stef

It's a GIF. watch it for a couple seconds....

fjr1300.gif

very nice job on the graphics stef. you can really see the diffences this way . i should of waited another year . bravo stef the italians really know how to do it .

I like the smoother profile of the front fender and rear rack.

Has anyone seen pics of the bike from different angles?

Yes, very nice to see the two compared like this. I prefer the look of the 05 to the 06. It will be interesting to hear how people like the 06 once they live with it a while. IMHO the 06 looks sportier but the other changes actually make the bike less sporty. Maybe that's the intention, compensate for the loss of sport capabilities with a sportier look. Anyway, I'll be riding my 05 very happily for a while yet. Now if they added power or actually made it 40 pounds lighter than the 05 I would have more trouble resisting.....

Since I've never cared for the dark blue Yamaha color, I have no interest in the '06. I don't think the appearance is any improvement over the '05, but we'll each have a different opinion on that. The linked ABS braking definitely doesn't appeal to me either. I've got my '04 fixed up exactly the way I want and, at 21,000 miles, it's running great, so no need to even think about swapping out. Now if the '07 color is different, and there's a 6th OD gear for the kind of high speed cruising I primarily do, well, maybe then . . . . ;)

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

Since I've never cared for the dark blue Yamaha color, I have no interest in the '06.
While it is still blue, it's a different blue. Looks like it's a bit of an emerald greenish tint to it.

Looks like a new fuel tank....unless it just the lighting.

I wonder if it's made of plastic. That would solve the biggest heat issue for me.

Also seems to have skirt that wraps around the lower tank. That would solve the crotch heat.

Stef;

Fantastic work with the gif, I'm really impressed. If you stare at it long enough the 06 looks to have a more aggressive front end, a bit meaner, I like it.

Interesting to see Yamaha aknowledge a "heat issue" by re-doing the air flow managment and heat shielding. Looks like yamaha reads our forums!

FJR1300 - Supersport Touring Perfection

For 2006, listening to FJR owners has led to a tremendous amount of refinement for rider and passenger alike. New airflow management works to keep both the rider and the bike cooler and more comfortable, while adjustable seat, handlebars, windscreen and middle fairing make it easy to find the perfect position. New bodywork, lights, mirrors and instrumentation raise the level of quality, and a new fuel-injection system and unified brake system with standard ABS add to the FJR’s exceptional functionality.

* Electrically adjustable windscreen with greater range of adjustment for improved wind protection

* High-quality instrumentation with integrated gear indicator

* Adjustable seat, handlebars and middle cowling

* New, standard ABS system with unified braking system

* Sleeker, slimmer overall profile

* New airflow management system and heat shielding

* 12V power outlet

* Cobalt Blue

-=SF=-

I don't think the color is all that bad... It seems to blend with their tradition of the silver to charcoal, Maybe next year will be Candy Apple, and go On to another like Burgandy...

Im really looking forward to sittin my A$$ on the thing....

I just bought a '05, and I love it... but If the refinements are drastic enough in my eyes, I would trade up... :)

Still can't get over the awesome power of this machine... !!!!!!!

Looks like we lose 2 hp on the new model... I can't say that I would really notice that much difference... more weight or not...

I think yamaha was doing their job listening to the FJR Owners and making some nice changes.. At least that Is what Im hoping for... :) :good:

Im really hoping the Bags are still as easy to work on and off the bike...

I doubt they would change that that much... :)

Warp

How much different will the ride be since they have made the 06 longer?? It's wild, when I first saw the new one, since it was the newest and not obtainable I thought it was really awesome. Now if I forget which is new or not, I really like the 05, since I have a wing for touring, I bought this bike for it comfort and mainly it's level of sport. It just seems like the new one is nice but getting away from sport and more into touring. Just my humble opinion. According to my dealer they won't be available till March and will simply be between $200 and $400 more. Once I see it in person I'll make a judgement about a trade. :erm:

I think the '06 is sweet!! :clap:

And it's pretty cool that Yamaha are making so many changes that we as buyers have asked for. Check out the changes on the KLR650 Kawasaki in the last 15 years! :(

I want one - but I'm going to ware out my '04 first B)

tel