2006 FJR1300 YCCS stuck in 5th gear, code SH51, windshield down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theo

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum. First of all thanks to everybody who provides help in input to keep us on the road, our bikes running and sometimes makes us smarter than dealer techs!

On my 05/2006 FJR1300, VIN JYARP16E56A........... (don't know if ok to post full VIN) Bike has YCCS with electronic paddle shifter AND foot shifter but no clutch handle

When driving on the freeway slightly over the speed limit the electronic windshield moved completely down by itself. On the dashboard I noticed the orange/amber indicator light on in the SHIFT section. Continued driving to the next off ramp. Was unable to shift down, neither paddle shifter or foot shifter allowed bike to down shift, it was stuck in 5th gear. When I came to a stop, then engine shut off as it was stuck in high gear. From memory I noticed code SH51 on the dash -now not 100% sure as we have unable to find any information on this code-

The repair shop tech read out all active codes, which were 12 & 19. These codes could have been in the system for a while and may have been resolved in the past without resetting. I bought the bike used with 34,000 miles. Currently has 46,000 miles. Bike has no known issues prior to this event; it is my commuter.

My mechanic told me

Code 12 is for 'Side Stand Switch' which I did lubricate in the past

Code 19 is for 'Open circuit, red/black wire to or from ECU'

He did reset both codes and they did not come back. Currently bike has no error codes.

When unloading the bike, the mechanic opened a side cover above the foot shifting pedal and moved the gears in neutral with pliers (believe this was above the solenoid). Bike is now stuck in neutral

Technician checked all fuses, found ok. Checked gear position sensor, found ok. Checked crank position sensor, found ok.

Technician called local authorized Yamaha dealer, they have no idea.

Please help with any input, as now I have a boat anchor and wasting time in traffic going with a car, UGH

Many thanks,

Theo

staples-easy-button-.jpg

You have an early YCCS bike. Part of the shift actuator bracket on some bikes would fracture and prevent shifting and typically caused a SH-51 error code. This is a problem that Yamaha addressed. Have your dealer's service shop run your VIN (the whole thing
wink.png
) through their computer and it will show if your FJR has been serviced for this problem.

15-Aug-2006, Bulletin M2006-012.
Affects only AE models, Range: 0006 - 0327, and 0011 - 0079 California
Part Information: Part Number: 90891-20120-00 -- a kit with 2 brackets, 2 nuts, 4 bolts, 6 drill bits, and a spline to 3/8" drive indicating torque wrench adapter.

Test Part: Pull left side cover and air box cover. Pull shift linkage from the actuator. Use the adapter to install an indicating torque wrench Check for movement clockwise and counter-clockwise with 29 ft-lbs of torque (never exceed 29 ft-lbs). If the shaft moves -- replace the actuator assembly.

Install brackets (2): Pull shift actuator. Lower the rear shock remote adjuster (3 nuts). Drill out the threads to 8mm on the actuators rear mount hole (ONLY ONE HOLE). Install bracket to the inside of the frame with longer provided bolt. Install bracket 2 to aft mounting hole with the bracket stud installed in the sub-frame crossover plate (existing hole). Re-install actuator shift arm to the shaft and adjust according to service manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
And ionbeam maintains the o.p.'s confidence in this forum's ability to help members with fjr problems! Woo hoo!

Thanks ionbeam! Dealer verified VIN & said that my bike has already been serviced for this bracket.

Somebody else said that the rear brake foot pedal might need lubrication, trying that now

Will update as I know more

Thanks!

...Somebody else said that the rear brake foot pedal might need lubrication, trying that now

Unlikely. My experience of this here.

• The ABS light would have been flashing while you were still riding (which you may not have noticed);
  • The error shown would be SH__47 (but you're not sure of the error you saw);
  • You would have been able to change gear - not what you found;
  • You would not have been able to re-start;

(These symptoms are not the same as it says in the workshop manual for the SH__47.)

Last edited by a moderator:
And just a note on the Code 19 error. I'm all too familiar with it. It can be driven by the ignition switch. Check to see if the ignition switch recall was performed on the bike. Otherwise, try shooting some contact cleaner up into the weep hole on the bottom to clean out the electrical portion of the mechanism.

The fact that the windscreen retracted on its own points to an electrical issue such as a faulty ignition switch or a spider bite. Both were issues addressed through recalls though the spider bite recall may or may not have totally solved the issue depending on the level of heat damage on some of the suspect spiders. I have included links to both recalls to give you some background on each issue. Brodie's post on his prototype grounding harness is an excellent resource on locating and checking all the spiders that could be affected.

Thanks all for the input! Forwarded this link to my mechanic. Waiting for a response; will -hopefully- post tomorrow how they resolved this issue
smile.png

Finally seems to be resolved. We have disconnected the heated handgrips and bike has not caused any problems since (500 miles trouble free). The only thing different I noticed after it stalling so many times was the heated handgrips not working. Ordered a new dial switch, not working either. . when leaving the switch connected, even in OFF position, it continued to stall in 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear

Only since we pulled the wires from bottom of switch -completely isolating that circuit- bike has been good.

It's been a long and costly journey, without help from this thread it would have been much harder. Went to 3 Yamaha dealerships & talked various times with Yamaha corporate tech support.

Thanks all & stay safe!

blinksmiley.gif

I'm always amazed when changing the light bulb in the living room fixes the leaky toilet in the upstairs bathroom. Guess I need to take a look at the schematic again and see how this is possible. At this point I'd be inclined to think that something else got moved in the process of working with the heated grips. Without looking at a schematic I wouldn't bet that the root cause has been addressed.

blinksmiley.gif

I'm always amazed when changing the light bulb in the living room fixes the leaky toilet in the upstairs bathroom. Guess I need to take a look at the schematic again and see how this is possible. At this point I'd be inclined to think that something else got moved in the process of working with the heated grips. Without looking at a schematic I wouldn't bet that the root cause has been addressed.
I was thinking the same thing. As in, "doesn't the heated grips ground wire run through S6? Or is it S4? Or both? I forget...."