2009 0-mile FJR1300A dealer pricing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFaulken

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an 08 or 09 FJR1300A -- partially because of some of the Gen 2 improvements and partially because I am vain and like black.

Anyway, I did my typical tactic that I use for buying cars: send emails out to every dealer near me and any place I would want to travel. So far out of nine emails I've gotten three replies and two prices. Both prices are from dealers near me, so travel cost is not a factor.

The best price right now is a 0-mile black 2009 1300A for $13285.69, which includes Virginia tax (3%) and titling with the DMV.

Should I keep looking, or is this the best I can do?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum for this question.

I dont know..

If you are willing to pay that then it is a good price..

Having a relationship with a local dealer have value too. So, that needs to be taken into account too

It's difficult to put your pricing into perspective because we don't know the tax structure in VA, nor are we familiar with the licensing fees...

I'm guessing that your Sales Tax is going to be in the range of 8.5%, and licensing fees somewhere around $100. If those assumptions are close to correct, that would make the price of the bike somewhere around $12,150 - 12,250.

That's not a smoking deal, but if it fits your needs then jump on it! You won't be sorry, as it's a great ride.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Don

I dont know..
If you are willing to pay that then it is a good price..

Having a relationship with a local dealer have value too. So, that needs to be taken into account too
Thanks for the reply. The second price is fairly close, and is with the same dealer I bought my FZ6 from, so there's a (pleasant) history there.

I just want to make sure that there isn't a large price differential if I hop a few states over. I have been watching eBay for the last two weeks to get an idea what bikes are selling for, but I am somewhat concerned about authorized Yamaha retailers vs people flipping bikes, etc.

[edit]

Hi dsmack, thanks for your reply -- VA motor vehicle tax is 3% and the DMV registration is $27.50 or something weird like that. Price already includes assembly and other dealer charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find out what the going price is at D&H in Alabama. If your quoted price is close after adding the taxes, tags, etc plus the costs to get down there then you are getting a good deal. D&H is generally the benchmark low in Yamaha pricing

Find out what the going price is at D&H in Alabama. If your quoted price is close after adding the taxes, tags, etc plus the costs to get down there then you are getting a good deal. D&H is generally the benchmark low in Yamaha pricing

+1

That's where i bought my bike and drove it home to Massachusettes. I saved over 2K from the local dealer. I buy all my maintenance things there. To me it was kind of like getting a free vacation to pick it up. Smiled the whole way home. :)

Welcome aboard also.

Thanks for the good advice and the warm welcome so far. I have to say that the folks at D&H were totally fantastic to talk to on the phone. They immediately told me what I wanted to know, as opposed to some of the other dealers I have worked with in the past, of either the two-wheeled or four-wheeled variety. Their OTD price was lower than everyone else's so far, even accounting for paying tax when I got back into Virginia.

I'm going to go back to my local responses and see what they have to say. I don't mind traveling to get the best deal, but all the same I'd like to use my vacation days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. ;)

I think that's a decent deal. The best deal in Dallas is around $12.5k plus TTL, etc. Your "all-in" price is about $500 better than what I've found.

Cheap tax @ 3% in VA!

I'm in the market for an 08 or 09 FJR1300A -- partially because of some of the Gen 2 improvements and partially because I am vain and like black.
Anyway, I did my typical tactic that I use for buying cars: send emails out to every dealer near me and any place I would want to travel. So far out of nine emails I've gotten three replies and two prices. Both prices are from dealers near me, so travel cost is not a factor.

The best price right now is a 0-mile black 2009 1300A for $13285.69, which includes Virginia tax (3%) and titling with the DMV.

Should I keep looking, or is this the best I can do?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum for this question.
Sounds about $500 high from what Honda East Toledo quoted me a couple of months ago. Bought a bike from Scott Johnson out there last November and was very pleased with the experience. His number is 419-891-1230 x45.

I drove from Charlotte NC up to them to get the bike. Looks like you are closer than me to them.

I think that's a decent deal. Cheap tax @ 3%!
I bet that Virginia has an annual state property tax on vehicles. Most states that do have much lower sales tax on the initial purchase of the vehicle. I would much rather pay double or triple the up front sales tax and be done with it versus paying year after year after year in property taxes.

I think that's a decent deal. Cheap tax @ 3%!
I bet that Virginia has an annual state property tax on vehicles. Most states that do have much lower sales tax on the initial purchase of the vehicle. I would much rather pay double or triple the up front sales tax and be done with it versus paying year after year after year in property taxes.
You are totally correct -- we get pounded every year for things we already bought :\

Bought a 09 no miles, brand new, last week, Fremont Motorsports, Florence, Co. $ 12,399.00 + $ 35.00 title fee. Thats it. Love it more than the 05.

Thanks for the good advice and the warm welcome so far. I have to say that the folks at D&H were totally fantastic to talk to on the phone. They immediately told me what I wanted to know, as opposed to some of the other dealers I have worked with in the past, of either the two-wheeled or four-wheeled variety. Their OTD price was lower than everyone else's so far, even accounting for paying tax when I got back into Virginia.
I'm going to go back to my local responses and see what they have to say. I don't mind traveling to get the best deal, but all the same I'd like to use my vacation days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. ;)
What was the D&H OTD price? I'm in the market too. Thanks

During a conversation with a dealer while shopping for a bike a bike for my son a couple of weeks ago, when we finally got around to talking about FJRs, he mentioned Yamaha is offering leftover FJRs to dealers for 9,000.00. Just saying.....

During a conversation with a dealer while shopping for a bike a bike for my son a couple of weeks ago, when we finally got around to talking about FJRs, he mentioned Yamaha is offering leftover FJRs to dealers for 9,000.00. Just saying.....
I wish they'd offer me one. I haven't found anthing close to a "great deal" on a new FJR, '08 or '09.

Topsyt, I don't have my notes with me, I believe it was somewhere around $12,580 with the $99 fee (again, no notes at work so I don't recall if it was a document fee or a processing fee, etc.). Even accounting for the Virginia motor vehicle tax and registration, it put them below my other offers ... until I factored in travel cost. Air fare alone to Huntsville was almost $600.

Anyway, I can update this post when I get home with exact numbers if you'd like. I apologize for not responding more accurately but thought it might give you enough of a ballpark to pick up the phone and call them.

slk50 if you give me the name of the dealer I'd be happy to give them my business. Most of the responses I've gotten have been within $600 of each other.

Lastly, I am pretty surprised that in this "struggling" economy I only got four replies to ten emailed dealers and one eBay merchant that may or may not be an authorized Yamaha dealer. I expected many more responses, especially since I already have my financing and down payment sorted out.

[EDIT]

Quote was $12,499 + $90 fee (no further notes on my part, sorry).

Topsyt, I don't have my notes with me, I believe it was somewhere around $12,580 with the $99 fee (again, no notes at work so I don't recall if it was a document fee or a processing fee, etc.). Even accounting for the Virginia motor vehicle tax and registration, it put them below my other offers ... until I factored in travel cost. Air fare alone to Huntsville was almost $600.
Anyway, I can update this post when I get home with exact numbers if you'd like. I apologize for not responding more accurately but thought it might give you enough of a ballpark to pick up the phone and call them.

slk50 if you give me the name of the dealer I'd be happy to give them my business. Most of the responses I've gotten have been within $600 of each other.

Lastly, I am pretty surprised that in this "struggling" economy I only got four replies to ten emailed dealers and one eBay merchant that may or may not be an authorized Yamaha dealer. I expected many more responses, especially since I already have my financing and down payment sorted out.
Thanks for the info. I've had the exact same response as you to dealer inquiries. Less than a 50% response rate, and I just sold a Rune, so I'm a cash buyer. I tell them my buying time is immediate, no trade, cash in hand, no repsonse. I've had others tell me that a lot of dealers don't use email, which is fine, but why post their email addy?