2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Revealed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
1 pic of Ducati's new GS competitor to whet your appetites (more pics here):

2010DucatiMultistrada1200.jpg

For you gear heads: On the site with the additional photos, look closely at the full left-side profile shot of the white bike. Is it my imagination, or did Ducati put the countershaft sprocket and single-sided swingarm on the same pivot..?

Is it my imagination, or did Ducati put the countershaft sprocket and single-sided swingarm on the same pivot..?
It appears they did though better pictures and reading some literature or test articles would certainly verify the thought. It's a good idea from the standpoint of constant chain tension.

05.jpg_700.jpg

ice on the LEFT, beer on the right :scooter:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know how the panniers attach? Does it require a big rack like the previous model? Would be nice if it was on/off like the FJR (no rack). Maybe a bit optimistic in that I don't see a lower locking point....

not horrible, not really sure what i was expecting though.

I wonder how much she will weigh. That rear tire would be a snap to change. I do like the look of it.

good question....

should be less from the exhaust at least.

Not sure about the looks. Rear seat looks really high. The 'beak' look and rear mudguard are a bit too 'same-y'.

Here are all the pics:

091.jpg_7001.jpg

07.jpg_700.jpg

08.jpg_700.jpg

06.jpg_700.jpg

05.jpg_700.jpg

02.jpg_700.jpg

I just got a [SIZE=14pt]MultiBoner[/SIZE] ......uhhhh, well at least until the maintenance schedule is released

wayne-garth-waynes-world-15834539.jpg

I'm not so sure about those nostrils on the front-end, but I like the way that they've packaged the exhaust system without making a monstrosity out of it.

Looks a lot more modern than the agricultural GS's!

I just got a [SIZE=14pt]MultiBoner[/SIZE] ......uhhhh, well at least until the maintenance schedule is released
I hear you. This new Multi is using a slightly de-tuned and modified version of the 1198 Superbike motor that - on that bike, lists major service (valve adjust) intervals of 7,500 miles. If the Multi doesn't come out with major service intervals of at least 12,000 miles, then I personally won't be too interested. (12k miles service intervals and burns regular gas. Yes, please.)

And RJ, this pic's for you...

2010DucatiMultistrada1200_Dirt.jpg

The nostrils are a bit much. It's surely going to be a step up from the Multistrada and a bucket more power than the BMW GS.

As for the countershaft sprocket, I don't think it's the best idea ever in regards to the torque it puts on the swingarm. It might help with chain tension, but it'll cause squatting under power.

And RJ, this pic's for you...
2010DucatiMultistrada1200_Dirt.jpg
Yep the cost of entry, cost of ownership (ie valve adjustments every few couple of months) and that small front wheel are the major detriments ....but it is a very very cool bike IMO and I'd sure enjoy one. That pic is cool ..but a 19" front wheel would make such riding much better

As for the countershaft sprocket, I don't think it's the best idea ever in regards to the torque it puts on the swing-arm. It might help with chain tension, but it'll cause squatting under power.
The countershaft sprocket and the pivot point of the swingarm being on the same plane should (slightly) reduce squatting, under power and the reverse under deceleration. So, the design should give no adverse affect, instead slight benefit. The reason is the relation is now lineal, and not a mechanical advantage/disadvantage to varying swing-arm angle in relation to the countershaft sprocket.

The 2010 BMW 1200 GS has power upped to 110 and torque to 88 (with its, new, radial-valve head design) -- how much more will the Ducati have...? :unsure:
It's water-cooled, same number cylinders and same size. So the minimum I'd say is "a lot." The engine it's based on has 160+ at the wheel IIRC. Also, the cylinders don't bump trees. :)

How much is needed/wanted for a bike like that...?? :unsure: :unsure:
Never too much power, no such thing.My Strom can spank GS12's but I want more, more more more.
Just like MTV, "... too much is never enough." ;) Well, pre-EICMA rumors are saying that the new Multi will have multiple on-the-fly power/fuel map settings ("Sport" / "Tour" / "Trail") ranging from 150 HP to 100 HP. Also, the bike is rumored to possess Ducati's first ever ride-by-wire throttle. We'll know all in less than 24 hours...

Official launch! Base price @ $14,995 w/ 3 option packages: Sport, Touring and ABS

Peruse the new Ducati Multistrada 1200 site: Click!

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmm......" but in a good way!! :lol:

EDIT:

Additional details:

- 150HP in "Sport" and "Touring" map settings; 100HP in "Urban" and "Enduro" map settings

- 417lbs in std trim; 423lbs in "Sport" and "Touring" trim (includes ABS and "DES": Ducati Electronic Suspension by Ohlins. Touring trim includes side panniers.)

- 33.5" seat height

- 5.28 gal fuel tank

Yuck. Guess I am not a huge Ducati fan. As for the GS, I don't really think the Multistrada is designed for off-road and is not really a true competitor to the GS. It's more like a Tiger. I have demo'd a multistrada and Tiger in the past year or so. Only liked the multistrada, ABSOLUTELY LOVED the Tiger. Great bike, but not for dual-sporting.

Perhaps this new MS is a big improvement over the current version.

BTW, from my brief test rides on the pavement, the Tiger WILL ABSOLUTELY SPANK the Strom. Sorry RJ. Off road, that's a whole different story.

BTW, from my brief test rides on the pavement, the Tiger WILL ABSOLUTELY SPANK the Strom.
For anyone who believes the above horsecock

Don't forget to bring your pink slip(Title)