2012 FJR stalling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreed94103

Reaction score
When I come up to stop or pull the clutch in as I slow the bike down behind a car the bike will sometimes stall. Also. I'll be stopped and start to take off and as I give it gas the bike will stall. I only have 450 miles on the new bike, had the dealer take a look, and he thinks it will go away as I put more miles on the bike. The problem is it can be dangerous as you take off and the bike stalls at the wrong moment

Any thoughts or suggestions

Thx

When I come up to stop or pull the clutch in as I slow the bike down behind a car the bike will sometimes stall. Also. I'll be stopped and start to take off and as I give it gas the bike will stall. I only have 450 miles on the new bike, had the dealer take a look, and he thinks it will go away as I put more miles on the bike. The problem is it can be dangerous as you take off and the bike stalls at the wrong moment

Thx
Bump up the idle speed. Mine did that a couple of times when on the initial ride from the dealer, and I fixed it by increasing the idle just a wee bit.

The idle adjustment is a philips head located just below and to the right of the fuel tank ..

1228576992_rDKVX-L.jpg

Set it for @ 1100 RPM with engine fully warmed up.

As mentioned above, this is a common issue of having the idle speed to low. Yes, it's that simple.

Same thing happen to me when I got mine 3 weeks ago, the idle was set at 900 so I bump it up to 1100 and it solve the problem.

I know this and a lot about the FJR because I read this forum since I order mine last December. :)

Same thing happen to me when I got mine 3 weeks ago, the idle was set at 900 so I bump it up to 1100 and it solve the problem.

I know this and a lot about the FJR because I read this forum since I order mine last December. :)
3 weeks and you still haven't updated your profile from "Bike: Other or considering..."?

SLACKER!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
3 weeks and you still haven't updated your profile from "Bike: Other or considering..."?

SLACKER!!!
Sorry but the option for 2012 "FJR Year & Model" is not available.
av-426.gif
:lol: :lol: Yeah, give Howie another kick in the nuts for me. If he has any left.

Howie,

You need to call out the slacking GEN I Skooter buddy of yours...he's been slacking on his software admin duties. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Thx
Putting more miles on it to and see if it goes away is a pretty strange answer in my opinion. Hope they don't say that if a tire is out of alinement. Since they didn't think of it, adjust the idle to about 1100 RPM and see what happens. The idle was set to about 900 RPM or so on mine out of the box and happy to report it never stalled. When I took it in for the first oil change the dealer noticed it was a little low so he adjusted it to 1100 RPM, now when I'm in traffic the starts just seem better.

Hope it's that simple of a fix.

SLACKER!!!
Sorry but the option for 2012 "FJR Year & Model" is not available.
av-426.gif
:lol: :lol: Yeah, give Howie another kick in the nuts for me. If he has any left.

Howie,

You need to call out the slacking GEN I Skooter buddy of yours...he's been slacking on his software admin duties. :D
Oh, a Gen I owner. That explains everything. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have one of the 2008 ECU's in your 2012 moto. IMO the idle adjust isn't going to solve it. Place your order for a PC V and it will go away.

Been there done that, Same exact issue's.

Good luck,

Dave

My 2009 did the same thing when i bought it used with 6800 miles. It worried me at first, as you mentioned there are times when a stall is not acceptable, especially when crossing traffic. I took it back to the dealer and of course it would not duplicate for them on a 30 min joy ride. They checked the fuel, air filter, etc to no avail. Finally, after reading on here, I increased the idle to 1100 rpms as previously advised...funny the dealer could not think of that, and I have not had a problem since!!

Thx
Bump up the idle speed. Mine did that a couple of times when on the initial ride from the dealer, and I fixed it by increasing the idle just a wee bit.

The idle adjustment is a philips head located just below and to the right of the fuel tank ..

1228576992_rDKVX-L.jpg

Just set my 2011 to 1000 RPM and cured the hesitation that I have had from day one......... THANKS !!!!!

Thx

1228576992_rDKVX-L.jpg

Just set my 2011 to 1000 RPM and cured the hesitation that I have had from day one......... THANKS !!!!!

Just FYI: My bike 2006 AE at 52K started to act strangely: stalling during warm up, then stalling during slow riding, loss of power, throwing random error codes, engine light sometimes stayed on after start.

Changing battery cured some symptoms for 3 days, then it went back to that strange behavior.

All symptoms are gone after:

- replacing O2 sensor (used generic Bosh O2SB-694, it is longer than stock but seem to fit if you do not mind splicing wires), spark plugs,

- cleanup of air injection ports,

- and using can of 'SeaFoam' injector cleaning in one tank of gas

Took me full day in the garage to fix all those things plus checking valve clearances (all within speck). Bike acted better but had some hesitation for 2 days after (O2 sensor conditioning? Injectors cleaning?) but now seem to behave as it supposed to.

Well as you can see the hesitation/stalling problem is somewhat common including my 2003. I checked lots of things including replacing the TPS but it still not happy below 2000 in the friction zone. Power Commander seems to be the solution.

Just keep the revs above 2000 as I do and the combination of gas treatment and higher idle should help.

Where did you get your 2012? Centralia?

I am just down the road in Salmon Creek so see you on I-5 once all this crappy snow clears.