2022 6k miles stalls then runs rough, abs light flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkeidel

Reaction score
New bike 2022. After sitting in the sun on a hot socal day I smelled a fuel smell but thought maybe coming from a car in parking lot. Started bike and after a few seconds took off and it stalled but I didn't tip over. When restarting it took about 5 seconds on the starter then it seemed to be running on three cylinders. This is the third time it happened.

I addition the abs light is flashing and randomly turns off.. (second and probably an unrelated issue).

Dealer says the only code that came up was a stall code... they can't figure either issue out as they are intermittent.. but I videos the bike running horribly...

Any suggestions for the dealer?

Did it smooth out eventually? Happens when parked in the heat, especially direct sun? I would suggest that the charcoal canister became saturated with fuel and ran incredibly rich until the excess burned off. ECU can't compensate by adding more air because that just adds more fuel since intake air passes through the canister.

This ^^^^

Redlands, as in Redlands CA? If purchased new in CA, you have a Cali emissions equipped machine. To confirm look at bottom front of fairing and you'll see a hose sticking down. Known issue. Don't overfill the tank as this adds to the problem and if needed, let things smooth out before taking off. Other than removing canister and changing the hoses to non-Cali configuration, your choices are limited. Check out on-line parts fiche for emission equipment differences.

~G

New bike 2022. After sitting in the sun on a hot socal day I smelled a fuel smell but thought maybe coming from a car in parking lot. Started bike and after a few seconds took off and it stalled but I didn't tip over. When restarting it took about 5 seconds on the starter then it seemed to be running on three cylinders. This is the third time it happened.

I addition the abs light is flashing and randomly turns off.. (second and probably an unrelated issue).

Dealer says the only code that came up was a stall code... they can't figure either issue out as they are intermittent.. but I videos the bike running horribly...

Wow! That sounds horrible! I'm pretty sure I heard a dead cylinder there. I have run into an issue that may be similar to what you experienced. #1 What RossKean and escapefjrtist said are both excellent points. #2 Have a look under the trim piece that wraps the rear of the tank and make sure the tank vent hose is not pinched. On my 2016 (non-CA emissions) bike it is on the left rear of the tank. Your configuration might be different. If you do remove that piece, be careful, it's pretty fragile and expensive to replace. #3 If you start the bike and hear/feel a dead miss like that, once in a safe place, turn the ignition off for 5-10 seconds and restart the bike. That will give the PCM a chance to re-read the cam and crank sensors and get all cylinders back on track.

Hope this helps!

Check the coil wire connections.

Common on Cali emissions bike. Dont have to be in California to have been sold one. I'm in Ohio and mine was. For me, it didn't help opening tank to relieve pressure. I always expected it if it was setting in the sun. Crank it a couple seconds. If it doesn't start go W.O.T. If it starts and starts to stumble you just gotta ride it out for a few seconds if you can W.O.T it. Beware, if using this method. Be prepared. When it clears itself, it clears itself. Have good grip

I am in Canada, but I bought a lightly used bike from a guy in Connecticut who bought it new from a local dealer - it was also a California bike. After a couple of episodes of hard start after sitting in the sun, I replumbed the intake to eliminate the canister and proceeded to put 186,000 miles on it before I sold it. I just let the bike idle until it ran normally (less than 5 minutes) rather than try to ride it or rev it to clear the fuel.

Common on Cali emissions bike. Dont have to be in California to have been sold one. I'm in Ohio and mine was. For me, it didn't help opening tank to relieve pressure. I always expected it if it was setting in the sun. Crank it a couple seconds. If it doesn't start go W.O.T. If it starts and starts to stumble you just gotta ride it out for a few seconds if you can W.O.T it. Beware, if using this method. Be prepared. When it clears itself, it clears itself. Have good grip
Unfortunately I almost dumped it, twice. I didn't have this issue on either 2003 and 2005 fjr1300 I owned... Now time to attack the randomly flashing abs dummy light

Unfortunately I almost dumped it, twice. I didn't have this issue on either 2003 and 2005 fjr1300 I owned... Now time to attack the randomly flashing abs dummy light
Any trouble setting CC and not having it turn off randomly? Sticky brake pedal is a possibility.