Stubborn to resolve sh-46 fault code

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgarrett3434

On two wheels again!
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I finally have some good news to report seemingly I have finally resolved this problem. I’ve been fighting it off and on for three weeks. In a 20 minute ride I can get the fault to occur probably five or six times. I just got back from nearly a one hour run and it didn’t happen one time!
Here are the mistakes I was making while trying to perform sh-65, gear position pot calibration routine
1. I was accessing the abs diag connector instead of the Yccs connector. This was due to my confusing on what I was seeing for multiple sources. The YCCS diagnostic connector is on the left side the bike right in front of the left horn and near the radiator fill cap. Once I access his connector and jumped it’s two terminals I could successfully access the Sh61 through 66 Service routines.
2. It took me about 8 tries to get Sh65 done properly. The last step is “shift into neutral” , but service manual instructions do not say to tap starter button like you do at the end of each gear shift. Once I tried that, I finally got the green light above the Yccs switch to remain on a couple seconds and not flash. This is affirmation of rewriting the eeprom with each gear position, both up and down.
3. I also did this prior to step two above, but really don’t know if it was a positive factor or not. There’s a step in the manual it says where to set the shift position pot in the neutral position., page 5-11 in the 2006 service manual. Mine was at .75 volts, which is within range, but I tweaked it to .81 V, the allowance is .71-.91 volts.
4. The Yccs diagnostic mode info begins on page 8-175 of the 2006 manual. I hope this helps someone!

I finally have some good news to report seemingly I have finally resolved this problem. I’ve been fighting it off and on for three weeks. In a 20 minute ride I can get the fault to occur probably five or six times. I just got back from nearly a one hour run and it didn’t happen one time!
Here are the mistakes I was making while trying to perform sh-65, gear position pot calibration routine
1. I was accessing the abs diag connector instead of the Yccs connector. This was due to my confusing on what I was seeing for multiple sources. The YCCS diagnostic connector is on the left side the bike right in front of the left horn and near the radiator fill cap. Once I access his connector and jumped it’s two terminals I could successfully access the Sh61 through 66 Service routines.
2. It took me about 8 tries to get Sh65 done properly. The last step is “shift into neutral” , but service manual instructions do not say to tap starter button like you do at the end of each gear shift. Once I tried that, I finally got the green light above the Yccs switch to remain on a couple seconds and not flash. This is affirmation of rewriting the eeprom with each gear position, both up and down.
3. I also did this prior to step two above, but really don’t know if it was a positive factor or not. There’s a step in the manual it says where to set the shift position pot in the neutral position., page 5-11 in the 2006 service manual. Mine was at .75 volts, which is within range, but I tweaked it to .81 V, the allowance is .71-.91 volts.
4. The Yccs diagnostic mode info begins on page 8-175 of the 2006 manual. I hope this
Z
Thanks I noticed in my 2008 AE FSM a error when writing to the EPROM for adjusting the RPM engagement. Hold green button .3 seconds... try 3 seconds. Chapter 8- 179.