2012 LowCal 250 Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug5551

Reaction score
FJR Darksider #3 from El Segundo/Sugarloaf, CA
The LowCal 250 was fun this year, and would be a great first rally for anyone.

From the Ocean to the Desert to the Mountains, from sea level to 6,000+ feet above sea level, two laps on Banner Grade (which is my favorite road in San Diego County), from the Urban area of Downtown San Diego and Balboa Park to very rural emptiness, all in 250 miles.

I left San Diego BMW at 8:20 am:

https://www.sdbmwmc.com/catalog/

My first bonus was Montgomery Field:

In the main Terminal building (that houses the Casa Machado Restaurant), take a photo of the "City of San Diego Montgomery Field" letters mounted on the brick facia.

P1010483.jpg

Next was Liberty Station:

Approximately 2600 Cushing Avenue. Former NTC San Diego. Take a photo of one of the Mounted Guns.

P1010484.jpg

A festival was taking place around the bonus, and the roads to access the location were blocked. But a little creative riding got me to the proper place to take the photo.

Close by was Spruce Street Suspension bridge:

Shoot a photo straight across from either entry of this bridge, but not from the side.

P1010485.jpg

Then on to Balboa Park, where another huge festival with blocked access roads was taking place to Founders Plaza:

West of Cabrillo Bridge, NW corner of El Prado and Balboa Dr in Balboa Park. Get a photo of your favorite founder, or all three.

P1010487.jpg

Then on to another bonus in Balboa Park, the Air Garden:

Get a photo of the B-24 Liberator bronze replica.

P1010489.jpg

After this, through the Gaslamp district to the ocean for a photo of The Bob Hope Statue:

Within site of the USS Midway at the end of Tuna Lane you’ll find a statue of Bob Hope in the act of entertaining the troops. Take a photo of Bob.

P1010491.jpg

The next thing I did was to suggest a new bonus for a future LowCal 250, which would be used as a tie breaker between any two participants.

My suggestion was the statue of The Kiss, at the same location of the Bob Hope statue:

P1010492.jpg

After this, it was to the nearby Coronado Bridge, to take a photo of the Troll that lives under the bridge:

Chicano Park. You'll get instructions of which pillar to shoot a photo of at the riders meeting.

P1010494.jpg

Then on to the Old Steele Canyon Bridge:

Shoot a photo straight across from either entry of this bridge, but not from the side.

P1010496.jpg

After this it was a short ride to Santee, to an Atlas Missle:

Intersection of Kenney Street and Ablette Road. Take a photo of your motorcycle with the Atlas Missile in the background. You do not need to get the entire missile in the photo (but I would).

rocket.jpg

Then a ride out to the Ramona Airport:

This is the air hub for San Diego County aerial firefighting efforts. Take a photo of the banner on the side of the hanger that says "RAMONA AIR ATTACK BASE". You may do this from outside of the airport grounds along Montecito Road.

P1010501.jpg

P1010502.jpg

After this, you got points for taking a lunch break and getting a photo of a self-portrait along with your lunch:

P1010503.jpg

After this, it was a great ride out to Julian, then on to Shelter Valley and the desert of Agua Caliente.

Desert Wings Sky Ranch:

Please do not block access to this property. Take a photo of the "Desert Wings Sky Ranch" sign over the gate. There is very little shoulder on this road. If you prefer you can safely park about 100 yards north on the west side of the highway.

P1010504.jpg

Agua Caliente Airstrip:

Take a photo of your motorcycle with the green "Agua Caliente Airstrip" sign in the background. This is an uncontrolled airstrip - do not block the entry or disrupt the operation of this airfield in any manner!

P1010505.jpg

Finally, back to Julian, and then down the Sunrise Highway to Kwimee Point:

If you are lucky you can get a photo of a hang-glider, otherwise get a photo of one of the memorial plaques south of the parking area at the end of Kwimee Point Road.

P1010506.jpg

This ended up being my favorite bonus of the whole rally. Since no gliders were present, the bonus was to take a photo of memorial plaques for fallen Hang glider pilots. Very moving, and if it wasn't for the rally, I would have lived my whole life and never seen it. I was filled with thoughts of those who lost their lives doing what they love, and the physical reminder in the plaque of their memory and presence. This is the Hang Glider community equivalent of our Gerlach Circle of Honor engraved rocks for fallen LD Riders that include my friend Ken M., and all of my other friends who are riding on ahead of me.

Pro Tip: If you decide not to go to the Flying Leatherneck Museum because it is on a military base, it will certainly affect your final score. But it wont affect how much fun you have getting to see so many other great places.

The rally ended up being won by notable LD Rider Ken Meese, who was riding the event two-up with his wife Dayle on his new K1600 GTL. I have a feeling that his bike is going to be seeing a whole lot of the United States in the future. Congrats to Ken and all the other participants. It was great seeing old friends and making some new ones.

Many thanks to Craig Chaddock and his wife Lisa for all they have done to make the LowCal 250 happen year after year. You have set the stage for many riders to have a lot of fun and see many things they never would have otherwise seen. And thanks to all the rally riders for doing it safely, as nothing is more important than that. Finally, thanks to Gary Orr and SD BMW for providing such a great base for the rally and such a great spread of food for the finishers banquet.

Outstanding Douggie! Great write-up! Sure makes me wish I would have done this rally. Great spots all over San Diego County. I love that area.

And your suggestion of a future bonus of the 'The Kiss' is an excellent one! Except you left out one requirement.......... EXTRA points given if you are replicating 'The Kiss' with a pretty woman! (No animals may be substituted! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!)

A good day with a past girlfriend:

SanDiegoJanuary2011027.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report.

Thanks for five years of supporting the LowCal250/LC11 Doug!

Outstanding Douggie! Great write-up! Sure makes me wish I would have done this rally. Great spots all over San Diego County. I love that area.

And your suggestion of a future bonus of the 'The Kiss' is an excellent one! Except you left out one requirement.......... EXTRA points given if you are replicating 'The Kiss' with a pretty woman! (No animals may be substituted! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!)

And all this time I thought you were Gay...(not that there is anything wrong with that)

Smitty

Thanks Doug for the ride report! I am sorry I missed out on the Rally. The Hang-Glider memorial is very interesting to me. I didn't even know it existed. That is a place I would like to visit sometime-very moving indeed.

Thanks again and see you next week in Alamo!

Doug, Nice Report ! The LowCal250 is a fun rally, short, but sweet, and for a good cause. Good to see everyone made it safe.

Great ride report Doug! That looked like the best LowCal 250 yet. Really sorry that I missed it (again!) this year.

And all this time I thought you were Gay...(not that there is anything wrong with that)

Smitty
Smitty, I Photoshopped that photograph for GreggieM!

Great ride report Doug! Cletha & I did many of the same bonuses, but did get others and the Flying Leatherneck's museum, which, despite Garmin, turns out to be just past the Mirimar gate and not actually on the base.

Greg, awesome photo of a fun kiss. Ya shoulda dipped her more though. ;) Sorry that it's a past GF and not a current one. You have a lot to offer the right woman, keep an open mind and take some chances. I never thought I'd find the right one, and here I am engaged to be married and loving every minute of it.

Craig did a great job on the rally. I didn't agree with everything, but despite my bitching, he carried on. :lol: :lol: I did notice that more than a few people routed ahead of time based solely upon the pre-given bonus locations with no real consideration of points. The "shotgun" implementation of points to bonuses, to some degree, rewarded that method and we got out of the gate a bit earlier than others.