2013 FJR Ride Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceWA

Reaction score
OK, after many years of being BMW saddled I made the change to the FJR two days ago. Have had a number of BMWs and was very happy with the ownership and quality of them. My last was a 06 K1200GT which was sold to a long time riding partner. It had given my 54k of smiling miles. Have had the FJR now for two days and have accumulated 150 whopping miles :blink: . Looks like it is in the shop for the winter now. Cold and snow are not to my liking. :rolleyes:

The ergonomics are very good, the wind screen gives more coverage than I recalled from my last ride on a FJR, and the seat is wider in the front than I'm accustomed to. The handling is very good, it enters the corners easier than by GT did, but the suspension is much softer than I am used to, will have to make some changes in the spring. The controls are all logical and easy to learn and use. Now the power, well I'm being gentle during the break in period, but I'd say the GT was superior in this department and being that it was slightly lighter (we're still talking poundage here :D )the difference is notable, but still more than ample for triple digits and LEO attention.

Rode the C14, looked at a Ducati MTS 1200 S Touring and found a couple of BMW K1300GTs but when it came time to buy I ruled out the Duc for several reasons, and the K1300GT basically the same GT I sold with more power, the C14 had more power and the screen worked very well. So it was actually a very easy decision to go with the FJR, having ridden them 3-4 times since they were introduced and the 2013 with its enhancements drew me in. Cruise control is great, the BMW spoiled me with this feature, cannot imagine doing with out at my advanced age and extreme laziness. :yahoo:

So there you have it, my very initial impressions and really looking forward to next spring to continue my affair with her. :yahoo:

Thanks for the post.

So now the FJR is slower than both the BMW and Kawasaki? :huh:

Oh well...I guess I'm just gonna have ta thrash her harder...

Thanks for the writeup, I have been waiting for some more actual riding impressions, especially about the suspension. I think it is difficult to compare the power outputs between the K1200GT (or the K1300GT) and the FJR because the gearing is so different. While the BMW has 6 gears, its gearing in 6th is so low that the ratios fall between 4th and 5th on the FJR. It definitely has more top end power with its higher reving engine but I don't think there is actually much difference in power is the rpm range where we normally ride.

....but the suspension is much softer than I am used to, will have to make some changes in the spring.
There's like 6 different electronic suspension setups on the new 2013, which setup are you referring to? (solo, solo with bags, 2up, sport...etc) Other test riders had said there is a huge noticeable difference between sport & touring suspension modes.

Thanks for the post.

So now the FJR is slower than both the BMW and Kawasaki? :huh:

Oh well...I guess I'm just gonna have ta thrash her harder...
Just like movie critics I take all "ride impressions" from other riders with a grain of salt. What one guy states you or I might test it and feel completely differently. The only way any of us are truly gonna know how the 2013 FJR feels is to go ride it for ourselves. :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to buy a K1300gt 2 years ago and i took one out for a test ride, I gotta say that maybe i was expecting too much but my riding impression of the BMW was crap with a capital K.......

You do know there is a hard and soft lever under the seat right?

May be I am bias but this version of the FJR is night and day ahead of the previous 2 versions.

I tried mine the other day in sport mode with the TCS turned off and got the distinct inpression that it would pull the front wheel up with ease. My 08 didnt feel like that ever....

So whats the serial number on this one?

R

There's like 6 different electronic suspension setups on the new 2013, which setup are you referring to? (solo, solo with bags, 2up, sport...etc) Other test riders had said there is a huge noticeable difference between sport & touring suspension modes.
What 2013 model are you talking about? The 2013 FJR does not have electronic suspension.

May be I am bias but this version of the FJR is night and day ahead of the previous 2 versions.

R

I can't imagine that you could be bias but I would really like to hear some specifics why the 2013 model is superior to your very nice 2008 model.

R

I can't imagine that you could be biased but I would really like to hear some specifics why the 2013 model is superior to your very nice 2008 model.

I bet Richard may have discussed one or two in his 2013 FJR thread.

R

I can't imagine that you could be biased but I would really like to hear some specifics why the 2013 model is superior to your very nice 2008 model.

I bet Richard may have discussed one or two in his 2013 FJR thread.
I have read every post in his 2013 thread but haven't seen much in the way of comparisons......I'm looking for a reason to upgrade from an upgraded 08 model.....

here's a good reason.....I did...... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

here are a couple more....

The screen is fantastic, trust me i have tried them all and before this the Rifle was the only one for me. They really have managed to eliminate the buffeting and turbulence.

Cruise control.....is fantastic

The touring/sport mode is fantastic

The heat management is you guessed it fantastic

Most of my stuff from the 08 fit...

I know there is way more but i need a nap...

R

What 2013 model are you talking about? The 2013 FJR does not have electronic suspension.
Are you saying your new 2013 FJR does not have these stated improvements & electronic left stalk suspension adjustments?

"But the Yamaha FJR 1300 AS also has an electronic control system of the suspensions. Via the left stalk, it is possible to select the following settings: solo, solo with luggage, duo, duet with luggage, then, via sub menus, it will be possible to refine these first four settings by a soft mode, standard or hard."

"Chassis updates for 2013 are reduced to a new fork design and reworked shock. The FJR runs stiffer springs up front in addition to firmer damping rates and a stiffer shock spring out back. The changes are claimed to provide “more sporty handling character while maintaining comfort,” says Yamaha."

Thats only in Europe (on the AE/AS) and not until next spring.....

R

"But the Yamaha FJR 1300 AS also has an electronic control system of the suspensions. Via the left stalk, it i.....
You just copied the text, but not the actual source website. I'll bet you $20 you're pasting from a European website....not American or North American websites.

Once again, Europe gets some FJR models we don't....including an optional model with electronic suspension and inverted forks for 2013. North America does not get one with electronic suspension...at least this year. Take a look at the website and if the URL ends in something like ".eu", ".it", etc.....it's the giveway.

They're also the websites we first linked to and combed over with excruciating detail when it was first announced.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/de is Europe....Germany specially. Electronic suspension optional in 2013.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu is Europe....in English. Electronic suspension optional in 2013.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/ is U.S....in English. No electronic suspension and only one color.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/ is Canada....in Canuckian. No electronic suspension and only one color.

Europe also gets more color choices than we do and has for years. They also have had flash-to-pass and we never got it...until 2013.

2013 European FJRs also have a higher upper limit to their cruise control.

Say it with me!, "North America gets different FJR models than Europe sometimes."

......or, if the address ends in ".ga" then Georgia has adopted a new weed law. ;)

Thats only in Europe (on the AE/AS) and not until next spring.....

R
Oh really??? Ok I did not know that! I thought these upgrades where on the 2013 bikes you guys got here in the U.S.!

Man that is the FJR I want, the one with these additional upgrades! I didn't realize it was a European thing only. Well that just about burst my bubble on the 2013 FJR here. Sheesh.

Thanks for the clarification though. ;) Now if you'll excuse me I have a big ass doobie to light up! :drag:

Cruise control.....is fantastic
Under 80mph. :( WTF is up with that. That's not a bonus, that just pisses me off.

Are you saying your new 2013 FJR does not have these stated improvements & electronic left stalk suspension adjustments?

"But the Yamaha FJR 1300 AS also has an electronic control system of the suspensions. Via the left stalk, it is possible to select the following settings: solo, solo with luggage, duo, duet with luggage, then, via sub menus, it will be possible to refine these first four settings by a soft mode, standard or hard."

"Chassis updates for 2013 are reduced to a new fork design and reworked shock. The FJR runs stiffer springs up front in addition to firmer damping rates and a stiffer shock spring out back. The changes are claimed to provide “more sporty handling character while maintaining comfort,” says Yamaha."
You need to study harder young FJR jedi. As has been stated ad nauseum, the 'AS' version (or 'AE' for north america) of the FJR is NOT coming to north america. So no upside-down forks or electronic suspension on this side of the pond.

Why not? What is Yamaha's reason for that?
[face slap]This is one of the reasons I've been reticent about multiple threads on the 2013 FJR. [/face slap]

Why don't you leave this thread about the OP's ride impressions and go read through the multiple page thread 808 post thing we started here about the 2013 FJR 1300 generally? If at the end of it your question is not answered...then ask there. ;)

Thanks. :)