2013 Triumph Trophy review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here Fontanaman,

I like the idea to keep looking over the fence, though I doubt that I will change, but you never know. I'm still itching for a Beemer or Triumph test ride. Both bikes look decent, and feel right, well at least I sat on a Beemer already and I liked the weight distribution a lot, just not the entrance fee for that sucker.

V

RPK

I am was in the market for a new bike to replace my C14. I considered both the BMW K1600 GT/ GTL and the new Trophy. Sat on both K1600 GT and GTL. I liked the GT best, my wife the GTL. She went on and on about how comfortable the GTL seat was.

I have two problems with the BMW – It’s huge and you’re talking almost $30K out the door for either version.

The Trophy looked good until the reviews I read said it was more of a competitor to the BMW RT than the K16’s. I may be old but I’m not ready to slow down that much.

After owning two Mini Cooper S’s (made in the UK & owned by BMW) both with perpetual problems. I’m not sure either one would be as dependable as my C14 or my old ’05 FJR.

I ordered a ’13 FJR. Should be here sometime this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new purchase! If not for certain issues I would have considered a BMW R1200 RT for it touring capabilities when I bought my FJR in 2010.

Unfortunately for BMW the RT has a pipe and slippers image problem. The reviewers in national publications were able to put the same concerns aside after riding the RT as did I went I rented one in 2008. I road that sucker 525 miles in one day without any ergo issues - simply amazing for a stock cycle.

What is really nice about the RT is it is lightweight and it will carry a lot of weight aka high GVRW, plus it is a great touring bike.

Not so nice about the BMW is certain reliability problems and the high price of ownership. If money was no object.....

I have no plans to get rid of my FJR. I like to keep a breast of what else is out there.

Enjoy your new FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the locals where I live picked up his about 10 days ago and has already had to replace the alternator. I have been following his saga on 2 Triumph forums and it seems like most of the bikes delivered to the US have had electrical or electronic problems. They will probably get things worked out over time but I would not advise buying one unless you live close to a Triumph dealer and have a back up bike.

Thanks for posting RPK.

But I thought that was an absolutely horrendous review. Not much on m/c content, but lots of superfluous B.S.!!!

How many paragraphs before first mention of the Triumph? I couldn't really give a rat's ass about where he rode that stupid bike, but want to know what the bike is like. Very little info on that.

What a waste of words.