Another new Ontario, Canada owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mardak

Reaction score
Hello from beautiful Lake Simcoe in Oro-Medonte, Ontario.  I recently purchased a 2016 FJR1300 ES with 20,000km on the clock, and while it's my first FJR, it's not my first Yamaha.  My first bike 30 years ago was a 2-stroke Yamaha RZ-500 V4 (admittedly a TERRIBLE first bike to learn on), then years later a new 2010 Yamaha FZ1, a new 2016 Yamaha FJ09, and then an unfortunate decision to buy a 2013 Triumph Trophy SE.  I corrected that mistake with the FJR, and couldn't be happier.  I was torturing myself over the decision to go with the 5 or 6 speed, and after my first ride I'm glad I went with the 6 speed, although I think I was making too much of a deal of it.  Such a great machine! 

I never leave well enough alone though, but I don't expect to spend nearly the $6k+ I spent on customizing each of my previous Yamahas.  The previous owner added Heli-bars, but that was it.  Still has the original tires (what?!) - possibly because the he never put it in Sport mode, other than ONCE.  Michelin PR5's are on the way (excited to try these after loving the PR4). After riding the bike in Touring mode I've decided to leave it in Sport mode permanently and pretend Touring mode doesn't exist.  I'll be sending my ECU to Ivan's Performance after the tranny recall work is completed.  His tune for the FZ1 was great, and promises to address all the rideability issues I've discovered on the FJR.  I'd love a Laam or RDL seat, but too late to make that happen for this riding season.  I'm not small, so the terrible stock seat (as all my previous Yamahas) needs to be upgraded.  I bought a used Corbin seat already, but am looking at other options, including modifying the Corbin or buying a complete Sargent setup. 

Anyway, I'll be poking my head around here occasionally, and have already gained a huge amount of insight into the FJR thanks to the many threads I've read here.  Thanks to all who have contributed.

Mark.

Nice to meet you Mardak. I spent 22 years in Southern Ontario, and since, more than 30 years in Alberta.

An old college buddy I remain close with lives close to you in Kewick.

This is my 2nd FJR, and after growing up on an old '77 RD400, then an '84 XJ750RL Seca, then no riding for 9 years (!), I returned to 2 wheeled thrills on a 2004 (Gen1). Rode it all over the Pacific Northwest, and even to North California and Colorado. My current (Gen3) is an awesome mount, and I look forward to ripping through the Canadian Rockies again starting next week on my next trip with a few buddies.

Wishing you many smiles to come.