2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Diesel!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Jeep - Diesels are great, aside from the stink and black oil filth and all.... I've had a few over the years, just torque monsters and great milage.
Most of the newer breed of diesels don't make the stinkey sooty exhaust anymore. Mt daighters boyfriendf has a new Jetta diesel and you wouldn't know it wasn't a gas engine except when you have to fill it, which coincidentally isn't all that often.

Last edited by a moderator:
The extra torque when towing is not only more pleasant, it is a safety factor to me.

The turbocharger largely overcomes the effects of altitude on performance. While this is of no consequence to me here at 64 feet above sea level, it makes a huge difference to me when we take our annual family vacation. For those who do live in higher altitudes a turbo diesel is very cost effective.

I have the (mis)fortune to have owned two nearly identical GMC 2500HD 4WD Crew Cabs. The first had the 6.0 Gas-Burner and the current one has the 6.6 Duramax. I had to install a programmer on the gasoline truck to get the power and fuel economy into an acceptable range. The Duramax has remained stock.

Here are some average mpg #'s:

Local Driving Gas= 11-12 mpg Diesel= 14.5-16 mpg

Highway Gas= 14-14.8 Diesel= 17-19 (Occasionally over 20 mpg but very rare)

Towing 22-24 foot boats Gas= 10 mpg Diesel= 12-14

Towing loaded Gooseneck Gas= 8-9 Diesel= 11-15 (Load aerodynamics vary greatly)

Towing 30 foot 5th wheel Gas= 8-9 Diesel= 9.5-11.5

I cannot say the money ever evens out but when you throw in frequency of fuel stops and a multitude of other factors the diesel is well worth it to me.

I strongly dislike the Black Smoke crowd of diesel enthusiasts. If I ever add a tuner or programmer to my Duramax it will be one guaranteed not to blow black smoke.

Nice car. Errr, truck. Is the engine from VM Motori? I expect it's the same drivetrain that is going into the Ram 1500 light duty pickup early next year. Earlier GJs used the same Mercedes OM642 that I wrote about in the other diesel thread. With the Fiat ownership of Chrysler they have moved away from MB sourced drivetrains to VM Motori - in which Fiat has an ownership stake. No surprise there.

Yes, it is the VM Motori engine. The Aussies have had this engine for their JGCs for a while now. You're correct, this is the same engine the Ram will be getting.

Redfish, completely agree about the black smoke... I have been assured that the Bluespark tuner I'm looking at will NOT cause that.

Nice.

I *heart* diesels. It doesn't see much use compared to my FJRs, but my 2001 VW Golf TDi is still going strong.

The extra torque when towing is not only more pleasant, it is a safety factor to me.
The turbocharger largely overcomes the effects of altitude on performance. While this is of no consequence to me here at 64 feet above sea level, it makes a huge difference to me when we take our annual family vacation. For those who do live in higher altitudes a turbo diesel is very cost effective.

I have the (mis)fortune to have owned two nearly identical GMC 2500HD 4WD Crew Cabs. The first had the 6.0 Gas-Burner and the current one has the 6.6 Duramax. I had to install a programmer on the gasoline truck to get the power and fuel economy into an acceptable range. The Duramax has remained stock.

Here are some average mpg #'s:

Local Driving Gas= 11-12 mpg Diesel= 14.5-16 mpg

Highway Gas= 14-14.8 Diesel= 17-19 (Occasionally over 20 mpg but very rare)

Towing 22-24 foot boats Gas= 10 mpg Diesel= 12-14

Towing loaded Gooseneck Gas= 8-9 Diesel= 11-15 (Load aerodynamics vary greatly)

Towing 30 foot 5th wheel Gas= 8-9 Diesel= 9.5-11.5

I cannot say the money ever evens out but when you throw in frequency of fuel stops and a multitude of other factors the diesel is well worth it to me.

I strongly dislike the Black Smoke crowd of diesel enthusiasts. If I ever add a tuner or programmer to my Duramax it will be one guaranteed not to blow black smoke.
Your absolutely right on the diesel advantages. My 2001 Cummins may have been an advantage on maintenance and fuel economy but I don't think my 2010 Cummins ever will. I went from 18 to 21 hwy (2001), 12.6- 14.0 city to 18 -19 hwy on 2010. I wouldn't trade the power though living here at altitude this truck doesn't know what a hill is, fun to drive and comfortable as a big car. It takes a lot of fuel to clean the DPF so when it needs to do a burn you can see a mileage drop when you refill tank. I could have gotten away with a gasser but I bought it for the power, so it's a trade off in the end.

Hmmm... does a gasoline fed turbo get the same advantage at altitude? I supect that it would.
Definitely would. The turbo would absolutely help feed additional air into the engine. Normally aspirated engines are entirely dependent on available air density while the turbo will boost density for any engine, gas or diesel.

Hmmm... does a gasoline fed turbo get the same advantage at altitude? I supect that it would.
Definitely would. The turbo would absolutely help feed additional air into the engine. Normally aspirated engines are entirely dependent on available air density while the turbo will boost density for any engine, gas or diesel.

Me thinks Fred was giving a well executed play of subtle sarcasm.....

You know, I saw a pic in another thread, looked kewl and being Diesel I'm an instant fan. So I will refrain on looking at the 1st page of this thread and all the probable awesome drooling pics, no need to get the itch and get it in my head for another toy that I have no business getting
wink.png

Have fun, and put a fueling module on it and give her some real power and torque! (aka: blow sum smoke)
wink.png

I am certain our very clever FredW was being subtly sarcastic. Again.

There just are not that many turbo charged autos with gasoline engines out there. Unless you start paying for premium upper ends like Audis and BMWs.

When I bought my diesel truck I tried to justify the extra cost for the engine/transmission combo which was $7,000 more than the gas powered truck. I looked at maintenance costs, fuel costs, fuel mileage, and everything else I could think to check. Bottom line was that I would never make up the difference in cost. I will make it up in resale value but I cannot count that.

As you may have noticed, not everyone shares my hatred for the Black Smoke crowd.

I owned a diesel years ago, and the one thing that I remember more than any thing else is the sound and feel of that engine when I put my foot into it. It was just magical. Not sure how to explain it, but it had a vibration/sound that sounded felt uncomfortable when idling, but the more I stepped on the throttle, the happier that engine was. It was a great engine for me, and I enjoyed my experience with the diesel.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you really, really enjoy it.

Gary

Very nice - I've got a '94 Grand Cherokee that my daughter is driving right now. It's got the 5.2 - 318 in it, goes anywhere, but mpg is not one of it's strong points. I've been hunting for one of the '06 - '07 Grands with the Mercedes 3.0 CRD.

My current daily commuter is a 2010 VW Jetta TDI. Only 140hp, but 240ft/lbs of torque at 17rpms according to the spec sheet. I've put 22,000 miles on it, and my average mpg to date is 41.8mpg - that's calculated and not trip computer. You can drive this thing like you're hair is on fire and it still gets 40mpg. It's a blast to drive...

Even with the off set in fuel cost, the TDI is more economical than what a gas car of the same size would return, and the TDI step out and go.

I'm 7k miles into a 2013 Ram Cummins 2500 crew cab. Great rig, and unloaded gets about 19mpg, about the same as our much lighter Honda Pilot. 375hp and 800 lbft torque. Bought it to haul a 28" travel trailer. Towed it from the PNW to Napa last week through the Siskiyou, with not a problem, passing all manner of gas engines trucks struggling to keep up on the hills. Averaged 14mpg on the straights and total mg for the whole trip was 13mpg. Trailer weighs 6800 lbs.

Long bed fits 3 dirt bikes across the back, with the trailer.

Nice ! Glad to see diesels at last making it in cars "over here" , always had one in the uk, different diesel pricing model though so the diesel was cheaper too.

I have 2011 v tdi wagon (estate) and one thing to note about the Jetta and passat is, they don't need urea. I believe the tourag does.

I had an '08 Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 Mercedes diesel. Dead quiet, you'd not know it was a diesel. Plenty of torque. The diesel package requires you to buy a loaded one. Try to buy a used one, they command a premium... The turbo lag sucks but you can learn to use it. Don't tromp on the pedal at a stop sign, you'll kinda sit there until it decides to go. Same on gas-powered Chryslers to some degree, it's programmed to not spin the wheels. Test it with ESP off, although I'd not say leave it off. Anyhow, pedal at half way will get you going faster until the turbo pressure builds (2k rpm?). You'll love that 8 speed, that should help with the turbo lag......

I now have a '13 RAM Hemi 8 speed. Borrowed a buddy's '12 RAM diesel. Fuel mileage sucked, I made the right choice. Hemi better mileage for general driving, both similar when towing my trailer, but diesel will be better with heavier towing.

Other than Hudson I have not heard any good fuel mileage #s from Dodge's 6.7 liter Cummins. MPG figures have been pretty dismal. The guys I know that are running them have been reluctant to admit how bad they are. They quickly change the subject with, "But you talk about power! Man that thing is strong/fast/quick/powerful." Everyone I know that is running the new 6.7 "upgraded" from the 5.9 Cummins. Happiness is where you find it.

I read last night that the Ram 1500 won MotorTrend Truck of the Year. This was based entirely on the merit of the new 240 HP diesel that it shares with the Grand Cherokee. Motor Trend loved the way this diesel performed in the Ram pickup and their MPG #s were very impressive. This diesel is getting better mpg figures than anything in the 1/2 ton pickup segment.

Just food for thought, most of the gas-burning vehicles with automated fuel mileage readouts are moderately to very accurate. None of the diesel trucks I have dealt with have been even close to accurate. This has been true regardless of brand. Hand calculating the mileage is the only way to know.

Very nice - I've got a '94 Grand Cherokee that my daughter is driving right now. It's got the 5.2 - 318 in it, goes anywhere, but mpg is not one of it's strong points. I've been hunting for one of the '06 - '07 Grands with the Mercedes 3.0 CRD.
My current daily commuter is a 2010 VW Jetta TDI. Only 140hp, but 240ft/lbs of torque at 17rpms according to the spec sheet. I've put 22,000 miles on it, and my average mpg to date is 41.8mpg - that's calculated and not trip computer. You can drive this thing like you're hair is on fire and it still gets 40mpg. It's a blast to drive...

Even with the off set in fuel cost, the TDI is more economical than what a gas car of the same size would return, and the TDI step out and go.
While I like the way the Mercedes diesel runs and drives, I hesitate to recommend anyone purchase one. The engine has a couple of too common repairs, all of which are in the four figure range. Google up "OM642 problems" and do some reading. (OM stands for Oil Motor - a diesel engine in Mercedes lingo.) Or PM me, I don't want to drag this thread any further off topic...