2014ES or 2016A?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which bike would you buy if you were looking for a Gen 3 FJR?

• 2014 ES - 13,000 miles - essentially stock - $10,000

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • 2016 A - 2,500 miles - essentially stock - $10,500

Votes: 36 72.0%

• Total voters

russperry

Reaction score
So I'm looking at my '08 with the hood up, and me procrastinating about digging into the AVCC to find out why its gone t**'s up. And out there are now a lot of used Gen 3 models for sale so I'm perusing Craigslist and others and have found these two bikes for sale in California and I'm curious as to how the forum thoughts would go. They're basically the same price, but with tradeoffs in equipment and miles.

From previous posts I'm expecting that there will be several things that might sway people's opinions:

1) Red - seems like a polarizing choice - some love it, some hate it

2) 5 vs 6 tranny - for some that seems like a big factor

3) ES vs A - the recent thread on reliability and durability of the ES seems to indicate that its been for the most part rock solid, but there is that looming high-cost repair when it eventually comes

4) Lower miles is always better

Hope to hear your thoughts - as of right now I believe I'd be pleased with either one, and that I'm probably leaning toward bright red.

For me, I would take the '16A over the '14 ES. Of course, depending upon relative price, mileage, condition, maintenance history and farkles.

The LED lighting, slipper clutch and 6-speed vs ES. I have not experienced the ES suspension and have no doubt I would love it but the other stuff has more appeal to me. It is a difficult choice to make! Color doesn't matter a lot to me. Can't see much of the color when riding anyway!

The LED lighting, slipper clutch and 6-speed vs ES. I have not experienced the ES suspension and have no doubt I would love it but the other stuff has more appeal to me.
Exactly. I have the '16A and could have bought a '14 A or ES (as I do really like the red...it's the bike, in fact, that initially caught my eye and put the FJR on my radar in the first place). Unless the ES is something that you just simply have to have (I didn't...I'm more of a set-it-and-forget kind of rider), the '16 will offer more bang for the (same) bucks. And that blue is very nice...it may not pop as much as that lovely red, but it's a deep, rich blue that I think is just as beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm looking at my '08 with the hood up, and me procrastinating about digging into the AVCC to find out why its gone t**'s up. And out there are now a lot of used Gen 3 models for sale so I'm perusing Craigslist and others and have found these two bikes for sale in California and I'm curious as to how the forum thoughts would go. They're basically the same price, but with tradeoffs in equipment and miles.
From previous posts I'm expecting that there will be several things that might sway people's opinions:

1) Red - seems like a polarizing choice - some love it, some hate it

2) 5 vs 6 tranny - for some that seems like a big factor

3) ES vs A - the recent thread on reliability and durability of the ES seems to indicate that its been for the most part rock solid, but there is that looming high-cost repair when it eventually comes

4) Lower miles is always better

Hope to hear your thoughts - as of right now I believe I'd be pleased with either one, and that I'm probably leaning toward bright red.
1. I think you mean to say some with good taste love it, some with no taste hate it.

2. I don't see a need for a 6th gear, but people that have had both seem to like the 6th gear, so I'll value their opinion and be open that a 6th gear is an improvement.

3. ES still seems rock solid. People putting a lot of miles on without issue.

4. Agreed.

I have the 2014 red. And it is sharp. If something happened to my bike I would search for another 2014 in a heartbeat. That being said, I voted 2016a, as unless you love the red as much as I do, the 2016 with less miles and two years newer certainly seems like the better deal. And like has been said, the blue is still attractive.

Given the choice between those two bikes, I would also go for the 16A. Having test ridden a 17ES the other day, I was blown away by the new lighter pull clutch and the silky smooth gearbox. The LED lighting is icing on the proverbial cake.

I voted for the 14ES for the same reason I bought mine (even though I already owned a 13A)....it was the only way to get an FJR with inverted forks. I'm not a big fan of ES because I prefer aftermarket suspension built for my weight and riding style, but have been really impressed how good the ES performs...but suspect that the inverted forks is also a positive factor in both ride quality and handling.

I have also ridden a 15A and a 16A and my seat of the pants impression of the 16A is the Touring mode is very unresponsive and the shock in the soft position is under sprung for my weight (I think I read somewhere that the 16A shock is different from prior years). I mostly rode my 13A in Touring mode and the shock in the soft position, if I owned the 16A I test rode then I would have to always use the Sport mode and hard shock position. Sixth gear seemed to be a nice feature but geared too high for most riding conditions (same as my C14), not a deal breaker for a purchase decision.

Color? I prefer the 16A blue but am getting used to the 14ES red...and sure get a lot of compliments on the color.

Mileage difference? Not a factor except for tire wear and that the first valve check will be coming up 10K sooner.

Given the choice between those two bikes, I would also go for the 16A. Having test ridden a 17ES the other day, I was blown away by the new lighter pull clutch and the silky smooth gearbox. The LED lighting is icing on the proverbial cake.
Its only the ES model that gets the LED lighting and directional lights, right? I guess I could look that up on the Yamaha site....

Edit - so I looked it up - seems like from '16 on all the lights are LED, but the directional lights are only on the ES. And I think heated grips are standard on the ES whereas on the A you have to pay for them as an option - sound right?

I like to think I'm putting color aside here. The lower miles caught my eye first, add in the improvements the '16 has; I'd go in that direction. Good luck with you decision.

Definitely go for the 2016A!
bike.gif

I had a '13 and have driven a '14 a couple of times and they are nice, but.......the 6 speed tranny, noticeably lighter clutch pull and LED lighting are all game-changing.Now add in that AWESOME Yamaha Galaxy Blue color and game over!!

'16A ALL the WAY
punk.gif
punk.gif

This is turning into a lopsided contest! Now I'm running out of excuses for continuing to sit on the fence....

I didn't make a chart, but I think I see the majority going with the '16. I'm with them. Even if you DO have to give up that beautiful redness that is the 2014 FJR. (I get a LOT of compliments on my "beautiful bike," and it's almost never even clean!) :)

As to the features of the two bikes--cornering lights might be nice. I dunno. Sixth gear seems pretty pointless to me, may even be a negative, since you can go as fast as you want even in forth gear, or damn near as slow as you want in fifth.

Maybe if you have a passenger half the time and ride solo the other half, maybe, it would be nice to switch back and forth more easily, but I sure don't monkey with various load settings much at all. Seems wherever I have it set it works fine. YMMV, as I'm sure others will be quick to point out. To ME, no biggie.

If the '14 has really low miles and a ton of valuable farkles already installed--ones you actually want and would be buying and installing yourself, that leans the balance that way, but otherwise, yeh, get the new bike. (of course, the price of the used bike could be more negotiable, just to hedge my answer. ;) ) Good luck with your choice.

I just made it a 'little' closer...

- I love that RED bike!

- I love a 5 SPEED!

- I assume I'd love the ES suspension!

- I think both bikes are 'low miles'.

I didn't make a chart, but I think I see the majority going with the '16. I'm with them. Even if you DO have to give up that beautiful redness that is the 2014 FJR. (I get a LOT of compliments on my "beautiful bike," and it's almost never even clean!)
smile.png
Compliments, even after you flopped it on the ground. :)

Edit - so I looked it up - seems like from '16 on all the lights are LED, but the directional lights are only on the ES. And I think heated grips are standard on the ES whereas on the A you have to pay for them as an option - sound right?
Correct: LED on 16+ A or ES...cornering/directional lighting on E only. I don't believe there is an A for '17...we'll have to see for '18, but '16 may be the last year.

Incorrect: Heated grips are on both the A and ES...or, at least, my '16 A came with heated grips, and as far as I am aware they are stock, not an option.

Another vote for the 14ES, just like mine! I prefer red over blue, 5 sp over 6sp, LED lights and lighter clutch lever pull would be nice, 13k miles is just broken in and not much more than 2.5k miles on an FJR. Three of the four items tip the scale to the 14ES and it's a bit cheaper so you can farkle with the difference. In fact you should be able to get that 14ES for about 9k based on market conditions.

Which ever one you chose, enjoy!

'16A for the win Russ! Add your choice of aftermarket suspenders and you'll have a fine bike for many years!!

...and you won't be stuck with a lipstick pink bike.
coolsmiley02.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

--G