2015 Sticky Throttle body after service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRASHED

Reaction score
I just completed my valve-clearance check. As part of that, I removed the plate at the bottom of the throttle cables. I reassembled everything to the point where I can start it with the tank propped up to check for leaks etc. and I noticed the throttle is stiff. I pulled the plate off and it's the pivot/spring assembly on the throttle body that is sticky, the cables and grip assembly are smooth. FYI, the bike has been down for few weeks (work and all that) and has about 55k miles on it. I tried spraying some lubricant around the springs but that did nothing. Any thoughts on this?

I don't know exactly what you did, but cable routing can make a difference.

More common is that there is little or no free play in the throttle. This causes binding that may be worse with turning the bars. Slacken the cable. Should have at least a couple mm of free play at the grip.

Thanks. I checked the routing. Checked free play, both with the bars straight and turned. The issue is it is definitely not the cables, they are smooth. It's the actual pivot point on the end of the carb assembly. It's like a bike that sat for years would have gummed up.

It's the actual pivot point on the end of the carb assembly.
Assume you mean throttle body...
Haven't heard of a problem there before. Lack of cable slack, mis-routed cables, gummed up cables and gummy throttle tubes are relatively common.
Good luck with it and report back when you find a solution.

I just completed my valve-clearance check. As part of that, I removed the plate at the bottom of the throttle cables. I reassembled everything to the point where I can start it with the tank propped up to check for leaks etc. and I noticed the throttle is stiff. I pulled the plate off and it's the pivot/spring assembly on the throttle body that is sticky, the cables and grip assembly are smooth. FYI, the bike has been down for few weeks (work and all that) and has about 55k miles on it. I tried spraying some lubricant around the springs but that did nothing. Any thoughts on this?

On the Gen 3 scooters the throttle cables are not directly connected to the throttle body rack in any way. The throttle cables are connected only to the accelerator sensor. The throttle cables do not operate the throttle bodies, the stepper motor under control of the ECU operates the throttle bodies. There is a return spring on the accelerator sensor assembly that is relatively light.

There is also a spring that holds the throttle off the cruise control cancel switch; when you force the throttle closed past the at rest position against that spring it cancels the cruise control setting.

dan

In hindsight, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the throttle. I started thinking about they system and the ECU. I was comparing it to how my dirt bike works: quick twist, let go and it snaps back. Then I started thinking: I've never done that on this bike..... It does return just fine, just not super fast. Oh, well, seems like I was stressed for nothing. Just warmed it up to check oil and rad levels. Should be back on the street later today. Thanks everyone for the replies.