2016 FJR Aux power socket access

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up my new 2016 ES on Wednesday and take it for a 1000 Km ride so I can get back in right away for its first service. I would like to take my GPS with me but am not sure if the power socket in the left storage pocket is accessible with the bike moving so it can stay plugged in.

I will probably install an external Powerlet socket once I get it home as I did on my 2003.

You can use the storage pocket just shut the cover on the cord or snake it under the plastics. You probably all ready know it takes a cigarette lighter type plug and will work just fine.

I have powered my phone from that outlet with a cigarette lighter USB deal. Popped out the rubber plug in the bottom, ran the cable thru there and up to the phone on the handlebars. Worked well for me, plus you aren't pinching the wire and no extra pressure on the latch keeping the lid closed.

If I've got some bar-mounted farkle running on the outlet, I generally keep the door open. I don't like pinching the cable with the door. I've never had anything jump out of the storage pocket with the lid open.

i power my phone from this outlet. Popped out the rubber plug cut a slot in it, ran a wire through the slot.

My iPhone cable has been pinched in the closed door so long it's form-fitted now. No problems over the past 50,000 miles, although you should make sure the lid closes without too much stress on the latch or the hinge(s). Halfway between the two and it works.

Not real pretty, but it works.

I started out running the cable under the closed lid. I upgraded to a three slot USB charger in my tank bag that plugs into the battery tender.

I filed a notch in the plastic lip under the front side of the lid and it allows the cord to come through with a bit less 'pinching' than just closing the door on it. It hasn't given me any issue and no sign of leaks either. I used a round chainsaw file it was the perfect size for the cord. I just have to remember to line up the cord with the notch before closing the door.