2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to the first Youtube video of a 1/2 mile drag race between a I, II, III and IV. Then we can figure out how this new tranny stacks up.
smile.png

I wonder if they shortened the final drive, or the middle gear ratios? they said 1st and 2nd were taller, 4th and 5th a bit shorter, plus a new 6th. So 1st through 5th are closer than they used to be, as would be logical with an extra gear on top. 6th being taller than 5th used to be would give them room to reduce the final-drive or middle-gear ratio somewhere, making up for the "taller" first and second.

Maybe they're not taller overall....

Need to get a shop manual with the ratios listed!!!

How about Gen 3.5? From my lowly perspective of a Gen 1 (which MAY be my favorite bike ever and that's after less then 2 weeks of ownership...

If they had made a deal with Russell for the seat, well, then truly it would be gen 4.

I'm good with Gen 3.5. Gen 4 to me would encompass a significant engine casting or frame change, wheelbase change, etc.

Gen 3.5. You heard it from me third. Or perhaps Gen 3.6 for the six-speed? I wonder what they did with the 7-speed tranny they were supposed to come out with?

Oh, and where are all my "The FJR is dead! Yamaha killed the FJR" bitching brothers?
bye.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So...is the six speed a big deal?

I dunno, I guess if I go 140mph on a really long test track, I won't have to whine about the high revs.

Seems like extra gear parts and expense to me. I always down shift before a pass anyways...so it's not like it's saving me anything there.

I'm just glad they keep making them...I just don't want to have to row more to get where I want to be speedwise.

So...is the six speed a big deal? I dunno, I guess if I go 140mph on a really long test track, I won't have to whine about the high revs. Seems like extra gear parts and expense to me. I always down shift before a pass anyways...so it's not like it's saving me anything there. I'm just glad they keep making them...I just don't want to have to row more to get where I want to be speedwise.

No one is going to make you shift into sixth gear Marky-Mark. You have my permission to never shift higher than fifth gear.

So...is the six speed a big deal? I dunno, I guess if I go 140mph on a really long test track, I won't have to whine about the high revs. Seems like extra gear parts and expense to me. I always down shift before a pass anyways...so it's not like it's saving me anything there. I'm just glad they keep making them...I just don't want to have to row more to get where I want to be speedwise.

No one is going to make you shift into sixth gear Marky-Mark. You have my permission to never shift higher than fifth gear.
Whew. Glad that's settled!

FJR...still the best damn sportstourer out there.

I so love my US 14 that I cannot imagine enough improvement to make me even consider envy of another bike. And the whole 6th gear thing baffles me. I go freeway speeds all the time, at 70 or 80, and not only do I find the bike smooth and easy, I like having the RPM up enough that if I need to move along, I can move along. How can any bike that does 120+ be considered under geared doing 75? I grant every rider their preferences, but count me in the camp of no need for a 6th gear. And having come from a decidedly less refined bike in the Kawasaki Versys, I don't find the shifting or clutch clunky or difficult.

All to say, I think it may take another generation or two of serious refinements in MPG, power, lighting and brains to tempt me away.

Based on body style, I still consider this a Gen 3. I still want an AE. The improvements made to the '16 model are very tempting. With the clutch assist making the clutch lever 20% easier to squeeze, I'm still interested.

If Honda releases a sportier ST with that awesome DCT transmission, I might be tempted there also. I recently bought my wife a Honda CTX700 DCT ABS. It's really fun to ride. Two auto drive modes and a manual paddle shifter mode. I'm sold on it, but still like the power of my 2008 AE.

Honda did release the VFR1200X DCT. That's another interesting bike with the killer transmission. Once you get hooked on the AE, it's difficult to go back to a standard old manual clutch. Believe me.

Well, I don't post much on here, but had to see what the collective had to say
laugh.png

All I've been looking for in a new FJR is another Galaxy Blue color, looks like this is going to be close enough to replace or to be a mate to my 05 model. All the past upgrades have satisfied me except for color. Lack of a sixth gear has never held me back.

I've really don't have any big complaints, I considered the heat on the 05 as welcomed in the fall, gave me an excuse to have a un-faired summer bike. I found that my 05 has been the best, most comfortable bike I've ever owned, I almost hate to part with it and even considering keeping it even though I lack the room.

A couple of things have bugged me and still do about FJR's, why are the saddle bags so damn heavy and why did they put a heat shield on the right side when you are more likely to burn shoe rubber off on the kick stand side? There, that's my only complaints
smile.png

I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas about this 2016 model. I'll likely be writing a check come March.
hyper.gif

If Honda releases a sportier ST with that awesome DCT transmission, I might be tempted there also. I recently bought my wife a Honda CTX700 DCT ABS. It's really fun to ride. Two auto drive modes and a manual paddle shifter mode. I'm sold on it, but still like the power of my 2008 AE.
Honda did release the VFR1200X DCT. That's another interesting bike with the killer transmission. Once you get hooked on the AE, it's difficult to go back to a standard old manual clutch. Believe me.
Does Honda even still make an ST? I don't think they do, or at least they're not bringing it to the US if dealers within a few hundred miles of here are any indication.

I've wondered about the DCT, but the riding posture on the VFR is just too uncomfortable for me.

I would love to see the AE back in the US, but this evening I'm thinking that the '09 AE and a '16 ES would be a nice combo.

And if the '16 ES sucks, which is very unlikely, then it can go up for sale or get traded ... After all, "The best bike is the next bike."

Oh, and where are all my "The FJR is dead! Yamaha killed the FJR" bitching brothers?
bye.gif
Suspiciously quiet. I'm refraining from compiling quotes from the NEPRT thread. ;)

And thanks for the slight tease/hint/neener-neener to keep us interested in the extra month or so from recent annual announcements.

I'm guessing the MSRP will exceed $18k for the ES.
Nah. I bet MSRP will be less than $17,500. Inflation has been very low this year and doubt MSRP increases even $500.

Everyone seems to hooked on the sixth speed thing. It is a whole new tranny all together. Helical gears, different shift forks. To me that's the icing on the cake. I would have been happy if that's all they did and kept it a 5 speed.

Now I will pulling wheelies with the dam thing,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote Gen 4....... Who knows what the MSRP is, but if they want to preserve the Gen3 prices (particularly of the unsold ones), then they'll keep the MSRP up and drag it out as long as they can...... March release. Dunno when they'll release to Canada, but I know of 14's and 15's unsold.

Gen 3.5. You heard it from me third. Or perhaps Gen 3.6 for the six-speed? I wonder what they did with the 7-speed tranny they were supposed to come out with?

bye.gif
I have to admit, with the demise of the ST1300, I have been wondering whether or not Sport Touring style motorcycles are economically viable in the US market.

I was really happy to see the announcement this morning.

I had actually been thinking very seriously about going for the Kwaka Concours 1400. For whatever reason, they have a relatively light clutch pull ... or so my arthritic left hand says.

When I read the FJR story this morning, my eyes lit on the assist-slipper clutch and it's 20% lighter clutch pull, and I was already making plans to go to the dealer today and make him start "the list."

The FJR, bags on or bags off, is hands down the prettiest, sleekest, most enjoyable ST style bike that's made it into the US market, and Yamaha continues to impress year after year with their development of cool, yet practical, advancements.

Looking forward to the first Youtube video of a 1/2 mile drag race between a I, II, III and IV. Then we can figure out how this new tranny stacks up.
smile.png
Personally I am a lot more interested in the 80 mph to 100 mph roll on, and maybe the 5 mph to 80 mph on ramp test.