48 State Ride plus DC next April/May/June

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in Phoenix

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a 48 state tour next spring -depart Phoenix when weather looks favorable - not an endurance ride but to see parts of the country I've missed so far. 300 to 400 mile days should be the norm. Some goals - Coast road from So Cal to Wash, Yosemite, Death Valley, Redwoods, Yellowstone, Glacier, Rocky Mountain Natl Park, BRP, Dragon's tail, no Interstates, other goals TBD but suggestions are welcomed.

Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you are running South to North hit the Cherohala Skyway to the Dragaon than continue North on the Blue Ridge. Each is an awesome experience, but the Cherohala is best IMO.

Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you are running South to North hit the Cherohala Skyway to the Dragaon than continue North on the Blue Ridge. Each is an awesome experience, but the Cherohala is best IMO.
Unless you have business in a coast city (Richmond, Washington, Baltimore) I would stay west of US-81. If you take the Blue Ridge, and you should, consider cutting more North out of Roanoke and getting into the Monongahela Forest in WV. Lots of great roads in that area WV-220, WV-92, WV-55. Just zoom into that area on Google maps and turn on the terrain overlay. You'll see why the riding is so great.

Also:

Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, Alabama

Flight 93 National Memorial, Stoystown, PA - Popular motorcycle visit.

Fallingwater House near Ohiopyle, PA (Architecutre by Frank Llyod Wright)

Zippo & Case Museum/Repair Center in Bradford, PA - One of my favorites.

Niagera Falls - If you go stay on the Canadian side, it is much nicer.

Last edited by a moderator:
if interested in war history you may be interested in the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA... not bery far east of I-81. There is mucho good riding in the area, too. Oh, I almost forgot to say... in my opinion the better riding in WV is in the south part of the state. That is my opinion only, though.

Have a good time on your trip, Heidi

48 State Ride plus DC next April/May/June

I'm thinking about doing a 48 state tour next spring -depart Phoenix ...

Coast road from So Cal to Wash, Yosemite, Death Valley, Redwoods, Yellowstone, Glacier...
you're talking of doing it clockwise, more or less starting in April.

Suggest doing it counter-clockwise, hitting the traditional south early in April, for weather reasons...

Sunday's Arizona Republic had some suggestions for my ride: Willamette Valley, OR; Lincoln Highway, OH; Avenue of the Giants, CA; Savanna, GA; Battle Green, Lexington, MA; and Monument Valley, AZ/UT. It will be interesting to see if it is possible to tie as many sites together as possible for a trip that doesn't exceed reason.

Us New Englanders (and some lucky Canukians) can help you find some delicious roads(and Chowda)up in northern New England. Give us a couple weeks notice.
If I manage to pull it off, I'll be sure to let you know. There is nothing better than a great bowl of New England Clam Chowder - unless it is a Maine Lobster with drawn butter. Yum!

I was excited when I saw this late last night thinking you were going after the IBA 48-10, which I have thought about. But all my route planning looks like a lot of slab riding, which is not my thing.

And if you are going to ride the PCH from So Cal to WA, and catch Yosemite and Sequoia and DVNP, you've got some zig zagging to do! Suggest you read Neal Peart's Ghost Rider to learn how to do it properly!

Other suggestions, which I would try to include, and this is by no means close to being a full list:

North Rim of Grand Canyon

Utah 12, taking in Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, and Torrey.

Moab.

Gateway Colorado

Independence Pass.

Mesa Verde

US 191 south of Alpine, AZ

Kancamagus Hiway in New Hampshire.

Vermont 100

Lolo Pass Idaho

Just some thoughts....and there is a TON of those little sleeper roads you just stumble across being away from the slab...

and there are so many roads out there.

One thing I have done, in my shop I have a large US Map, with the longer rides all marked in different colors (until I ran out of colors). Everyone looks at it and comments on how many places I've ridden. I look at it and look at all the places I haven't been, YET!

Thoughts for Northern California:

Cambria is a great place to stay. Look to visit Nitt Witt Ridge and maybe stay at this B&B, Victoria's Last Resort.

From Cambria, come up the PCH and stay in Carmel or Monterey for the evening. It's less that 100 miles from Cambria to Monterey but you will most likely want to take all day as the views a breathtaking, lots of photo stops, and look for the waterfall at Julia Pfeiffer State Park, just south of Big Sur. Lunch at the Big Sur River Inn, sit out back in the big Adirondack chairs and dip your feet in the running stream out back. They also have a hotel there too - pricey but very nice.

In the Bay Area, there are a tone of fun roads in the mountains - 9, 35, 84, Alice's, Stage Rd., Pescadero Rd., and tons more!

Immediately north of SF, just as soon as you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, take 2nd exit which comes up very quickly, just past the vista point. Turn left and cross under the roadway, then go up the hill on Conzelman Road. Very shortly you will see a number of turnouts on your left which give you great photo ops.

NOTE: Conzelman Rd. is closed for construction. You can still take the same exit but go RT at the offramp down the hill toward Sausalito and turn right onto East Rd. for a different view of the bridge. There is also the south side of the bridge at Fort Point (do a search here as several have photos of both vantage points - also check WheatonFJR's thread on his and Airboss' trip out this way last May).

From there you can backtrack to Highway 101, or you can fart around the area called the Marin Headlands. Nice riding, a lighthouse, old battery, beaches, a marine mammal rescue place.

You can still get out to the Headlands but you'll have to take the tunnel off of Alexander Ave (the exit already mentioned) directly out to the beach... it is really beautiful out there.

Decision time: Muir Woods or not? Muir woods is a redwood forest national park kinda place. Busy, but magical if you haven't been in a redwood grove. Follow your maps/gps to get there. I personally would skip the woods and enjoy the totally awesome twisty and ocean-view highway.

Also, consider riding to the top of Mt. Tamalpais - great road and awesome view (as long as it's not foggy!).

Next place of note is Point Reyes Station. There's a cafe, a bakery, a market, and if you time it right, motorcyclists to visit with. Also the option to visit Pt. Reyes National Seashore. Miles of secluded roads, forests, a gigantic empty beach, and a lighthouse. Fun place to visit, but it will impede your forward motion as the only way back out is through Pt. Reyes Station.

My personal 2cents is to forego the lighthouse. It's a crapshoot if you will even be able to see the lighthouse because of the fog and the road out is fraught with high winds, rough road, and cow pies all over the place... very treacherous.

Bodega Bay has a good restaurant right on the water. I can't remember the name of it but you can't miss it. Recommended.

The Bodega Coast Inn is where we stayed for the Rolling Illinois Cluster Feck in May. Very nice place, ocean view rooms, etc.

Next motorcycle spot of note is the store at Stewarts Point. There is a road coming in from the right called Skaggs Springs Road. This is a well known local motorcycle road - loads of fun. It will take you all the way to Hwy 101, though, so don't take it unless that's where you want to go. You can just pay homage as you pass.

Or you can take Stewarts Point/Skaggs Spring inland, and then hit 128 out of Cloverdale back out to the coast.

On a normal person pace, you're probably ready to sleep by the time you get to Mendocino. It's a cool hippie/yuppie/new age town, but mucho spendy. If you are on a budget you can head just a bit further north and sleep in Fort Bragg.

As you go further north, you may be interested in exploring the Lost Coast. The roads are lonely and bumpy, but the reward is that you'll get to ride where few ever do, and see the westernmost spot in California. Look for Mattole Road, Honeydew, Petrolia, and Ferndale.

And don't forget Avenue of the Giants! Once up in Fortuna, must do roads include 299, 36, 3, and 96.

And that's the Norcal coast according to me. Have fun! Let me know when you're in SF, maybe we can get together and I'll sign your Iron Butt witness forms!